Put True Fit Premier in Ford Escape RF

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
At first I thought the LATCH install was going to truly be impossible , but then I realized you must use the lockoffs, and wow, they make all the difference in the world...I had been yanking and tugging and sitting on it, then as soon as I closed the lockoffs, boom, rock solid :eek::thumbsup: I put it in without moving the Driver's seat just to see if it would fit, and sure enough, it did, perfectly (and DH has it pretty far back, almost all the way, but fairly upright, if he were a reclined driver he'd have to learn to sit more upright, lol, which is safer, anyway :whistle:)
Leah had a fair amount of legroom, and loads of space over her head. She's about 34 pounds and 40.5 inches tall and wearing 4/5 pants and 5 shirts (she's 3.5 and very tall).

I then popped off the headrest and tried 'baby chou chou' in it, but wow, it would really take some effort to get it to a proper newborn recline. Her little auto-close-when-lying-down eyes were fully open. Noodles are definitely necessary for RF a wee one in this seat.

Edit.... I didn't notice that there's an actual recline mechanism when I tried to install it for a 'newborn'. Strike one against me for not reading the manual thoroughly. So it might still need a noodle, but not the pyramid I was imagining. Phew!

Attachments

• IMG_5422.jpg
    IMG_5422.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_5434.jpg
    IMG_5434.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
We have this seat in Blue Aurora. We love it, except I'm having a fray/fuzz issue on the adjuster strap. Talked to LC already and a new one is on it's way to me. They want the old one back to investigate.

I love that I don't have to undo the cover to move it from 1 car to another as long as I"m doing a LATCH install. I also had to cut the orange strap because it wasn't long enough reach when I had it more reclined...and it wouldn't allow the strap to lay flat.

Susan

canadiangie

Have you tried taking the headrest off and standing over top of the TF using your tummy to help with installation? I find it helps to get the seat in rock solid with minimal effort (unless you count some ab crunches ;)) and that the lockoffs really are a formality afterwards. Then just snap the headrest back on, and voila, deelish.

Love that pattern btw... so pretty. :love:

jess71903

Ambassador
Have you tried taking the headrest off and standing over top of the TF using your tummy to help with installation? I find it helps to get the seat in rock solid with minimal effort (unless you count some ab crunches ;)) and that the lockoffs really are a formality afterwards. Then just snap the headrest back on, and voila, deelish.

This is what I do every time now. It has eliminated my need for pool noodles :).

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician

Whoa, that sounds like way too much effort :p All I did was tug the LATCH strap till it was a reasonable (less than an inch but still wiggly) of movement and snap the lockoffs. It was rock solid. Then I undid them and checked it both ways again and it was good.
But since I AM game for new install tricks, I'll probably try it...as soon as the humidity breaks :thumbsup:

jess71903

Ambassador
I like doing it that way because it leave both hands free. In my car, the seatbelt slides to the lock side of the lock-off so I have to push it back up with one had and close it with the other.

C

chanda

Has anyone had trouble with the harness adjustment strap when the seat is placed RF in the Ford Escape in the newborn recline position? I'm trying to decide between the Learning Curve True Fit and a Britax Marathon. Thoughts?:confused:

Spam

She has the newer truefit with the anti-rebound bar. It creates space for the adjuster to be easily reached. If you were planning to use it from birth, a Marathon likely won't fit the newborn well. They have higher bottom slots. Most newbies fit the TF from birth, I've only heard of one or two that didn't.

kate4478

Jools, have you tried installing it in the middle yet? Just wondering b/c I want to get one for my MIL Escape. He's the only child in the car so I was hoping to install it in the middle.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC