Pics from the school bus class

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hmm. I was thinking it was kind of like the GO; the GO I am quite familiar with how the shoulders fit, I was just thinking if you got a tall, skinny, big-head, long-neck kid you might have a problem there. But I suppose that would be pretty rare.

ADS

Northriver

Thanks for sharing! I'm going to call our bus barn tomorrow, just to see what they say. I'm pretty sure we have nada zip zilch for restraits. I don't know if or when I'll let my daughter ride the bus. She is 42" 35# right now and should be on the bus one year from this week but I'm going to have to figure out something. When I moved here we had a school 1/2 mile down the street but they closed our school. :(

mburks26

I got ask when the dc gets on the bus who straps them in? to school and to home from school? I though I heard that our buses will have belts on them by the time my dd starts school next yr. I was just wondering. I will be driving my dd for the 1st few years anyway.

TheNimpsGirl

Very nice!

I voluntered for a semester with a special needs classroom of 3 year olds and was excited to see that they all were in 5pt harnesses on their school bus as well. I even commented to the principal about it. She seemed less concerned about their safety from a car seat perspective and more from a, it keeps them in their seats so the bus driver (no aide) doesn't have to deal with them... whatever, at least they were all secured.

They were not as nice as the Star ones and one of the biggest issues was the fact that the buttons to release the harness was on the back of the seat so if the child sitting behind another child could reach it and figure it out they could release the harness (and it did happen frequently, once on the freeway!). I mentioned this as well as a safety concern and was told they were aware but it was all they could afford :( They were also hard to tighten quickly and I noticed that most of the teachers/aides just clicked them in without much regard to tightness, chest clip placement or twisting of straps. I more than once got looks from the bus driver to "hurry it up" because I would quickly recheck everyones (total of seven children) harness' before I would get off the bus. I know the arguement of compartmentalization but these were small, very small 3 yr olds and all but one had muscle tone issues.

I wonder if by the time DS goes to school if I can't drive him what will be available on the school buses. Very interesting though!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
Thanks for sharing! I'm going to call our bus barn tomorrow, just to see what they say. I'm pretty sure we have nada zip zilch for restraits. I don't know if or when I'll let my daughter ride the bus. She is 42" 35# right now and should be on the bus one year from this week but I'm going to have to figure out something. When I moved here we had a school 1/2 mile down the street but they closed our school. :(

Remember, that a bus is very safe, even without restraints. A wonderful thing called compartmentalization.

I got ask when the dc gets on the bus who straps them in? to school and to home from school? I though I heard that our buses will have belts on them by the time my dd starts school next yr. I was just wondering. I will be driving my dd for the 1st few years anyway.

Around here, the bus driver does.

bethng

Our district uses those seats as well. I love them! Here is one of my students in his seat.

busseat004.jpg

Gena

DS just started kindergarten and his bus has these harnesses. He rides the special education bus, so I don't know if the regular bus has harnesses too. The bus aides help him buckle up to and from school.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC