Attached to a car seat?!

snack

I had to return my Complete Airs. :( DH and I had decided to buy the CAs after our accident. Well, DH is is still out of work and has two bulging discs in his neck as a result of the accident. He does has disability insurance.. but we estimate it will take 2 months to receive a check from that source. In the mean time, DH is using his sick/annual time which is fast dwindling.
So after careful consideration, we jointly decided that the CAs would have to go back to BRU. They weren't in our budget to begin with.. but now with things as uncertain as they are, we definitely can't afford any large purchases (especially since LC sent us 2 brand new TFs). I had planned on selling the TFs but even if we got $300 for them, we'd still be $100 in the red. And DH thought that would be ok.. except we've had no luck unloading them. :thumbsdown:
I drove over to BRU and returned them and when I got to my car, I felt like crying. REALLY... CRYING!:confused:
How do you get so attached to a car seat of all things? I can't help feeling like the girls are less safe because they don't have the darned air cushions. :( Completely irrational, I know... but still. I feel like :crying:

But on the bright side, our new TFs have 2/14/09 DOMs.. so 4 months newer than our crashed ones.:)

ADS

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Try to remember that RF is the safest way to ride. We don't have gov't standards for SIP for carseats at this time. My son rides in a TFP.

Susan

snack

Miss Katie, thanks for that tidbit. ;)
and juju, thanks as well.

I think returning the seats is representative of the cutbacks we're going to have to make in other areas as well and that's the reason for such an emotional response. I do :love: the TFs and I know the girls are perfectly safe. Thanks for the reassurance!

I know what you mean, I am having no luck with my myrides, first one frayed second came in a box so damaged it feel out the bottom, I think I am just going to ask for a refund.. but now I am sad that I don't have a my ride anymore.. I almost cried.. I am all "hmm I really want a seat that will rf to 40 lbs".. but.. I HATE installing radians passionatly, (It takes hubs sitting on the seat while I tighten it with all my might) My rides fray, the new one already felt rough, and the complete are is WAY out of budget.

I am tempted to take my refund from the my ride and get an ETA and pocket the rest of the money :whistle:

Holly

I got very attached to my Keyfit. It was my 3rd baby's and it was the first time I had an infant seat that I really loved! We knew we wanted another Radian when it was time for the baby to move to a convertible (he'd get the FPSVD that our girls were using, they would get a new radian) so when we found out we could get a Radian 80 for $200 we knew we wanted to get it now, while we knew we could.

So we sold the keyfit (and a portable crib we had just stopped using) to help fund the new Radian. We still had to pay some out of pocket for the Radian, but we needed to get all we could out of selling things first. So it was necessary, and we knew that, but as soon as my Keyfit walked out the door with the lady who bought it, I was so sad! I love putting my baby in his new FPSVD, he's so cute and comfy looking in it, but I'm still sad about the keyfit. Ds doesn't sit up yet so we can't put him in the shopping carts at the store, so I carry him or use the stroller. Not really a big deal, but it was nice to be able to put the keyfit in the cart instead.

I'm also very attached to my FPSVD, it expires in 3 years, I'm going to be so sad to see it go (but ds will probably be ready to move out of it then anyway, regardless of the expiration.

Jonah Baby

I have to say that I was/am completely attached to our MR.
We got in an accident 9 days after spending the last of my 2 paychecks to buy it. I hadn't made the decision lightly. My son was FFing at 11 months and we've used crap and expired seats since because A. he is huge, B. I am poor as dirt, and C. I didn't know about good carseat practices other than making them tight enough installed and harnessed tight enough for him. We also decided that within 2 years we wanted a second child. The MR would serve Joey well then serve a new child well all before expiration.
The MyRide was one of the best things I had ever bought for him, also the most expensive...and it was turned RFing. I felt he was safe in my car, which would not withstand heavy hail. It fit perfectly in the middle of the backseat. It fit him perfectly. His legs never had to cross to fit RFing when his shoes were off. I had Maezde come out and check my install. She showed me a few new tricks. Many people were pleased I had found a way to RF my 34 pound 2 year old safely and comfortably. I got a lot of crap from some people, yes, but I knew what they said about a child NEEDING to FF were wrong.
I felt very proud of myself for finding a way to afford a GOOD seat, not another clearance booster or tag sale remnant. I felt proud feeling my kid was safe and learning better practices to keep him safer.
When I went to the emergency room after the accident, I was unable to be x-rayed. They discovered that the child we had planned on putting in the MR in a few YEARS was already well on the way to needing that seat.

Nine days of safety was too short. Now I have to pass by our MR strapped into my totaled car (which was the first that I owned all myself and I loved that, too!) and resist temptation to pull it out and use it. The IC has taken forever to total my car, then give me a price, then finally address my son's seat. I should see a check coming next week for it.
Every time I pass by, I want to kick my rims in. I want to rip the seat out and run it over with our truck.

Right now, I want to cry about it.
Yes, I definitely understand emotional attachment to carseats.

disbugsmomma

Yup, I know about attachment too, hence the reason I have two seats in my car for one child! I really like the Como, but when I got it I just couldn't give up my Circus Dots FPSVD. Maybe if I had gotten a different cover on it, I would have been able to give it up, but I like my dots too much. :whistle:

Heather86

When I wrecked my car and my circus dots fpsvd had to go.... I cried I couldn't destroy it my self (I did save the cover which has since fell apart lol). I loved that seat. So no you aren't crazy I think we all get a little attached truth be told lol :D and to second everyone else your girls are safe don't worry :)

snack

Now that I think about it.. this isn't the first seat I've been attached to! :eek:
We had an Orbit for DD1 and then passed it along to DD2. We knew wanted a double stroller but had to fund the purchase by selling our Orbit system. We had the infant car seat, toddler car seat, toddler stroller seat, and stroller chassis. An EXTREMELY nice pregnant woman from DC drove 4 hours to NYC to pick it up and we got a good amount for it too. As DH loaded everything into her car, I started getting misty-eyed. And when DD1 saw her pulling off she screamed, "NO! Mine!" and started crying. :(
I whined about that stroller for a LONG time.. I'm still sad when I see pics of it now.
We got a P&Ts Vibe for the girls but I don't :love: it. It serves our needs but my heart will always be with the Orbit. :(

Glad to see I'm not the only one with an attachment to a car seat!

Michi

Yes. And the one I'm attached to is discontinued (the Britax Advantage.)
Oh, how I miss my "Little Blue."

DD was attached, too. so much so that she either wore, or slept with, the cover (which we kept) for months after we got rid of the seat.
IMG_4753a.jpg

snack

Yes. And the one I'm attached to is discontinued (the Britax Advantage.)
Oh, how I miss my "Little Blue."

DD was attached, too. so much so that she either wore, or slept with, the cover (which we kept) for months after we got rid of the seat.

AWW!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC