Exceptions for travelers?

cantech

:confused:

Does the US not have exceptions for travellers?

Here we allow travellers to comply with the laws of their home regarding child restraint. If a non Canadian resident is using a non Canadian seat that is okay as long as it complies with the laws where they live, stupid IMO, but I understand why. A Canadian resident cannot, legally, use a seat that isn't labeled as conforming to Canadian standards.

I only ask because SuperGrape had said that she has both Canadian and US seats in this thread: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=9281 I'm not judging, just wondering why?

Belinda

ADS

skaterbabs

I think it's because she doesn't yet have official resident status in Canada. I seem to recall someone having that issue.....

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
That's what I thought too. Yes, we have exceptions for travellers. We have to conform to the state laws though of any state we're in. We only have to use seats here till age 6, but if we travelled to Kansas, we'd have to have our kids in seats b/c they require age 9 before getting out of seats.

beeman

correct me if I read your post wrong cantech, but being a Canadian, I can't use an American seat if I'm travelling in the states?

cantech

beeman, I can see how you might think that and to be honest I guess it depends on the laws in the US.

As a Canadian I wouldn't think Canadian law would extend beyond our borders. I can't see how you'd be *required* to use a Canadian seat if you're not in Canada.

Belinda

skaterbabs

Temporary visitors are not required to purchase a US seat, although they ARE required to conform to each states restraint laws (ie., keeping a child in an appropriate seat) but you have to have a permanent status for the country of origin to not be required to have a US seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC