First disappointment with Britax

ZephyrBlue

First, let me say that I've been a very loyal Britax buyer for the past 9+ years (we have registered 14 seats with them, and I've bought a few for friends/family members that were never registered in my name). I'm having trouble w/one of my Parkways- the headrest will NOT stay locked in place. Bought it last October, used as a spare only. Called Britax- sent them the receipt showing date of purchase is less than one year (was told that warranty was good for one year from DOM or date of purchase). Was first told by a CSR that they would replace it w/a new SG Parkway. 3 days later, I was told that they would only refund my original purchase price ($59.99) but not the original shipping amount ($13.95).

I know that I got a good deal on it, but I'm feeling like they should also be at least reimbursing me for shipping- the seat is obviously defective and now not only do I not have that booster to use, but I'm out the shipping, as well.

I've always been happy with their CS in the past, but now I'm looking to branch out even more in my child restraint purchasing. I was going to buy one of the new PWs but since we love the Monterey, I'm thinking I'll just buy another one of those. And probably a True Fit Premiere instead of a Boulevard for the new baby (already have a MA for back up that we'll just hang onto)

Thoughts? Am I being unreasonable?

ADS

vonfirmath

Does shipping normally get repaid in a situation like this? I'd only expect a manufacturer to be responsible for the cost of the seat, not the cost to get it to your door. Though in some cases, yes that means it isn't worth returning.

BookMama

Senior Community Member
Actually, I think that Britax's offer sounds pretty reasonable. :eek:

Have you actually returned the Parkway yet? I know that others (including Darren) have had problems with the headrest but have been able to fix it. If you do a search here I bet you could probably find their posts about it. (Kids are yelling for me or I'd search for it myself. :p)

swtgi1982

I think that if they are sending you a new one and you not paying shipping on the new one, that they are, then that sounds fair.

Mama!

Yeah I hate to say it, but Recaro took our 18 month old loved -into-the-ground Signo and not only sent me a free new Signo G2, they sent me a prepaid return label to return the old shell. And I got to keep the cover off the old one for a spare.

:eek:

I would , uh, go to a supervisor. Honestly. And tell them you were told it'd be replaced with a new parkway.

A one year old Britax booster shouldn't be broken. Simple as that.

ZephyrBlue

I think that if they are sending you a new one and you not paying shipping on the new one, that they are, then that sounds fair.

They are not replacing the seat. I was originally told that that's what they would do, then when they found out that I only paid $60 for the seat, they decided to just reimburse the purchase price, not including the shipping.

I'm going to search for the thread re: the headrest not working. Thanks for the tip!

Mama!, that's what I would expect from Britax, too, especially considering that the product is defective and has been in use for less than 1 year :thumbsdown:

emandbri

Are you keeping the parkway? If you are you can sell the cover and come out ahead. My parkway sometimes doesn't want to lock but does after some jiggling.

Rosey

I would call back and state you will accept a new Parkway. It shouldn't really matter how much you paid, the merchandise is defective and you need to replace it. At the very least they should refund your shipping as well. I would keep calling and asking for a supervisor untl I got the answer I wanted to hear.

Joyofbirth

I've been very loyal to Britax for about 9 or 10 years myself, but I'm really starting to wonder. We've had several seats and recommend them to all my friends. I didn't have a great experience with their CS and yours is really wrong. I am having to reconsider recommending them to my friends so often now. I am hearing more and more stories of poor CS from them. I hope you get your parkway replaced. I think that's the right thing to do.

Mommy2Marcus

I would be upset considering that they offered you something & then decided to change it. That alone would make me VERY upset with them. I would call back & ask to speak with a supervisor as they retracted an already made offer. In the end I feel like they should honor what they 1st offered no matter that you only paid $60 for it. The seat is defective & unusable. So I would NOT just settle for the fact that you are only getting refunded b/c they have already offered you a new seat!

In the end, if it had been a MA that you had a deffect with, but you only paid 1/2 price, would they have only offered you 1/2 the price or replaced the seat. KWIM?

2BunniesMommy

I think it would be fair if that was what they had said from the get go. Since they said they would replace it with a new seat, that is what they should do. I would call again... and again.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
In the end, if it had been a MA that you had a deffect with, but you only paid 1/2 price, would they have only offered you 1/2 the price or replaced the seat. KWIM?

It was wrong for them to go back on what they offered, but she's not getting half-price. She's getting exactly what she paid for it.

Mama!

Well, now that I think about it I did have a very very unhelpful girl help me with my regents lately.

BookMama

Senior Community Member

But the MA is still in production, and they could replace it with a MA. The original PW is no longer made, so they can't replace it directly. I can understand why they wouldn't want to replace a seat that was originally $100 (at regular price) with a seat that has a retail price of at least 20% more. :shrug-shoulders:

(Actually, I seem to recall a similar situation where someone had a problem with a FPSVD that had been purchased on clearance but was still under warranty, and most people were very adamant that Britax should not be expected to replace it with a MA, which would have been the closest available replacement seat. :whistle:)

outnumberedby6

just wondering who u spoke with at britax? i have had little to no luck when speaking to many of the people who answer the phone, but when i ask to speak to michelle its a whole different experience. not just in results but information i get from her versus what the others said. that is distressing too though and i have mentioned that to her as well. its true if they dont have one to send you because its out of production theres little i guess to do. i have always been taken care of by them. its THE reason i stay and recommend them to others. i remember back in 98 when i bought my ra one of the plugs in the base came out a bit, i called them and they told me to return it to whomever sells britax and have them call her personally, i did and right start gave me a seat without hesitation. of course they are or shall i say were smaller speciality store. they were a chain but not as massed as bru. i didnt have my receipt either i dont think. but my seat was registered.
they have since still taken very good care of any situation ive had.:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC