Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Vent: I loathe the EFTA!!!!

Let me preface this by saying I have not installed this seat in awhile, and I have never installed that seat in a Cadi SUV something or other, but this is beyond ridiculous!!!

I just spent 1/2 an hour trying to install the dumb thing, and ended up using an old (but not expired )seat just so I knew it was a good install.

I couldn't find the top tether anywhere (and the owner didn't know nor was the owner's manual in the car )... it would not stay snug FF'ing with a seatbelt or LATCH (leather seats were making it slip). So I tried it RF'ing, b/c the child is little enough to go either way. Still no luck.

Then I got out my other seat. 2 minutes. Rock Solid. My EB 3 in 1 is now on the way to the lake!!

And I'm not even going to address how it fit in my Pathfinder. I need a good seat for the 3rd row of an '06 pathfinder.

Jess... SAHM to 5 little monkeys...
    {B:9}ProBooster{A:7} FF'ing Radian RXT{J:4} FF'ing RA50{D:2 1/2} RF'ing MA{B:10 months} RF'ing

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Re: Vent: I loathe the EFTA!!!!

Sorry you had all that difficulty. It's a strange complaint - I've seen problems with the knobs rf'ing, but it seems to have been an easy fit in the other vehicles I've had it in so far if the knobs are accessible when rf'ing.

Hopefully you're able to find a seat that works in your Pathfinder.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

Moderator - CPST Instructor snowbird25ca's Avatar

Oh - top tether is stored on the back of the shell about 1/3 of the way down from the top - there's a spot there where the hook attaches.
    Trudy - Canadian CPSAC certified CRST Instructor-Trainer and mommy to:
    Janeen - 17 yrs and learning to drive!
    Jillian - 11 yrs, 80'ish lbs, 5-stepping in each car. :O
    Jonas - 8yrs, 65lbs, Riding in an Oobr in each car.
    Both safely riding in either a 2007 Outlook or a 2015 Subaru Legacy depending on the day.

that sucks that you had such a bad experience. I LOVE my EFTA! It is kinda bulky though!! So I know it can be hard to move around. I use it in a Chevy Blazer RF and it installs great. But, I do use a mighty tight to install and I think if my car was any smaller that a good install would be very difficult! I still love it though! I love the harnesses and my son loves it too.

Quote Originally Posted by judesmommy View Post
    that sucks that you had such a bad experience. I LOVE my EFTA! It is kinda bulky though!! So I know it can be hard to move around. I use it in a Chevy Blazer RF and it installs great. But, I do use a mighty tight to install and I think if my car was any smaller that a good install would be very difficult! I still love it though! I love the harnesses and my son loves it too.

Hello judesmommy! welcome to the board!

Mighty tights are aftermarket products that are NOT approved for use with car seats and should not be used.

Not sure where you are located, but if you let us know where you are we can help you find a tech to assist in showing you how to install your carseat without one.
    CPST & Mom to 3 great daughters
    DDM 20 yrs EMTbasic; Seatbelt
    DDK 1/10/06 54# Cybex X-Fix-booster - doing GREAT
    DDG 7/10/07 43# FF RE
    "You know you're healing when your sadness no longer affects your happiness" anon

What's up doc!? I brought carrots to the soup. You?

Is it one of the newer larger ones? I had trouble installing that seat in my sister's car. I went to put my niece in one day and the thing tipped and I asked her if I could re-install it for her because her husband hadn't gotten it tight enough. I got it in but it took me a while to get it rock solid with the seatbelt. I have two smaller older triumphs and they were great with latch and seatbelt. I had to install them in quite a few different cars and it was always nice and fast for me. I never had to try a leather seat though.

CPS Technician LuckyFins3Lil'Fish's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by snowbird25ca View Post
    Oh - top tether is stored on the back of the shell about 1/3 of the way down from the top - there's a spot there where the hook attaches.
    I think she's saying she couldn't find the vehicles tether!
    DS: 2-3-06 Boostered in a Diono Monterey. DDs: 3-21-08 FF Evenflo Big Kid Amp & Britax Frontier 85 Booster Mode
    Children are unpredictable. You never know what inconsistency they're going to catch you in next. ~Franklin P. Jones

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyFins3Lil'Fish View Post
    I think she's saying she couldn't find the vehicles tether!
    That is the location of the vehicle's tether anchor.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Sorry, I meant the spot to hook the Tether to the car.

Quote Originally Posted by BekahD View Post
    Is it one of the newer larger ones? I had trouble installing that seat in my sister's car. I went to put my niece in one day and the thing tipped and I asked her if I could re-install it for her because her husband hadn't gotten it tight enough. I got it in but it took me a while to get it rock solid with the seatbelt. I have two smaller older triumphs and they were great with latch and seatbelt. I had to install them in quite a few different cars and it was always nice and fast for me. I never had to try a leather seat though.

Yup It's a pretty new one. It would seem tight on one side, and then when I went to crawl out of the seat, the whole thing tipped & just wouldn't get tight.

Sorry you had all that difficulty. It's a strange complaint - I've seen problems with the knobs rf'ing, but it seems to have been an easy fit in the other vehicles I've had it in so far if the knobs are accessible when rf'ing.

Oh... couldn't have adjusted these either. If I had ever gotten it tight enough.

Hopefully you're able to find a seat that works in your Pathfinder.

Thanks for the sympathy!! Luckily it was an extra seat, and mom is perfectly fine with getting something that does work & doesn't give me nightmares!!

Jess... SAHM to 5 little monkeys...
    {B:9}ProBooster{A:7} FF'ing Radian RXT{J:4} FF'ing RA50{D:2 1/2} RF'ing MA{B:10 months} RF'ing

I am sorry you had this experience. I absolutly LOVE my EFTA. I have from day one! I have also never had any trouble getting it installed in any car I have tried it in & I have put it in several.
    Krista Mommy 2 Marcus, 6 years old, 48 inches tall, 40-42lbs, 16 inch torso & riding in a Graco Safety Surround!!