Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

OI, booster laws, and an online friend

I have an online friend whose daughter is 9 years 8mos old. She weighs 36lbs and is 3ft 8" tall (so 44"). She is still riding in a 5pt harness at this point, but she is beginning to protest riding in a "baby seat", concerned kids at school and whatnot will make fun of her for that as well.

She also has a form of dwarfism called Russell-Silver Syndrome, which is a form of primordial dwarfism, but these kids are nowhere near as tiny as those with "classic" primordial dwarfism (namely, Kennadie, for example).

She lives in a 40lbs minimum for a booster seat state, and she doesn't think her daughter will gain 4lbs any time in the near future.

Any advice?

My thought is just to go ahead and use a booster (a HBTurbo, a PW, a Vivo, perhaps even a Monterrey? or does the Monterrey have a 40lbs min?), because no police officer is going to pull a scale out of his pocket and weigh an almost 10 year old.

WDYT?
    Raechel, mom of my crew of now 5!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Moderator - CPS Technician BookMama's Avatar

Re: OI, booster laws, and an online friend

What state is she in? Most states have an age component as well as a height and/or weight component to their child restraint laws. In Michigan, for instance, a child must be in a restraint until 4'9" or 8YO - so at age 8, they can legally stop using a booster even if they're only 3'6".

Personally, I'd be comfortable putting her in a booster provided it fits her well and she can sit properly.
    Andrea, CPST, Tech proxy, special Needs trained
    DS 4/01 - Seatbelt * DD1 11/05 - Oobr, PWSGL, Performance Booster
    DD2 10/09 - GN SS/Argos
    Plus a plethora of "spare" seats for everyone.

Carseat Crazy

I'm not sure on what state...but I forgot the "OR" part of the laws that usually exists. I'll have her check on that!

I'm reasonably certain that she could handle it (maturity-wise), but question the fit....although my 5 y/o that is 43" fits well in a Monarch and a PW, and she's right at 40lbs.
    Raechel, mom of my crew of now 5!

My DD's have both fit in the Turbobooster and the old Parkway very well at less than 44" and 35-40lbs.

I might continue to encourage her to stay harnessed, with a bigger-kid looking seat like the Nautilus, but suspect a booster would offer very good protection. If I didn't think it would offer good protection, then I would look at it as a medical condition, and explain it like, say, a wheelchair- a person who needs a wheelchair needs a wheelchair, even if the other kids tease them about it (which they should not!); a 9 year old can't just start dragging herself to school on her elbows to avoid her wheelchair, neither can a person be inadequately restrained in a vehicle, y'know?
    Homeschooling mama to safely transported kids-
    DD1- 11/2001 - 61.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)
    DD2- 11/2004 - 62.5", Seat Belt (5-steps)