Any short women? Need advise

aimz

We are currently looking at cars right now. We need something bigger. My husband is wanting us to get either the Saturn Outlook or the Chevy Traverse? Problem is, I am short. I am only 4'11. This would be my primary car since he has a car to use to and from work. These just seem too big for me. Does anybody else who is short drive these? Do you think they would be too big for me?

ADS

Cryssy Jane

I haven't driven those specific cars, but I've driven suburbans and big trucks. I'm 5 feet even so not much taller than you. It can be done, you just have to move the seat closer and make sure your mirrors are in correct locations. Oh for the record, I've also driven an rv and that sucker was huge.

natysr

I'm also short. 4' 10".

One thing to keep in mind, is that some trucks & SUV's have an option you can get for adjustable foot pedels. Our Nissan Pathfinder has them.

I actually prefer to drive our pathfinder, because I can see better, since it is up higher. But, that is our weekend car. We commute in our Civic Hybrid.

Melanie

Something else that helps short people (I'm 5'2") is a telescoping steering wheel. Not just the tilt up and down, but the kind that actually slides in and out. DH's car has it and I love that I can put the seat up far enough for me and "push" the steering wheel away to a safe distance. DH is 6'3" and we both fit great in that car.

I'd also love the adjustable pedals...but have never been able to have them.

And for your orig question, no I don't think the size of a person should have bearing on the type of vehicle.

kathysr98

I am 5'3" and while I don't have a problem driving a large vehicle, I won't own a tall vehicle as my primary car. I have a Focus and my parents offered me an Escape for no additional money. I refused it (politely of course) because it was harder to get my DD in and out of her seat. I could not get her out when she was sleeping without waking her up as well. So, for me it will be a crossover such as the Ford Freestyle or Flex when I upgrade.

APmama2MAK

Wow Im jealous of all of you short ppl just a little taller than me but not finding a huge problem with cars. Im 4'8" and I have found 2 or 3 cars that I could BARELY drive safely and 1 that I would feel okay in for my own car, it was a minivan. In every car Ive ever tried im touching the steering wheel but my huge problem is not being able to see out of ANY car, I am trying to find a safe solution to boost myself up other than a booster (because I dont think ill fit in one width wise lmao)

zactayaus

I'm 5' 3" and drive a suburban. I love it. I do have to climb in and out to get the baby in (he's in the center and at 16lbs and in an SS1 it's no easy feet) but can easily buckle up DS2 from the outside.

rosey2007

Have you considered a Kia or Hyundai. I am 5'2" and I drive a Hyundai Elantra.I know that you are looking for a larger car and Hyundai/Kia have many different options. What I noticed for me was that I did not have to have the seat up all the way to drive this car. Plus they have a great warrenty.

Jonah Baby

I'm a bit over 5 feet, I sympathize with the men dominating car design.
I can drive our F350 just fine...hehe.

I loved my Nissan Sentra. I felt it was really made for me, for short people. One of the few cars where my face isn't on the steering wheel.

I also love the Saturn Vue.

Chevy trucks are also pretty good.

Dodge Stratus' aren't bad - I don't suggest them knowing their repair history, however.

Some older minivans work good for me.

kangato2roos

Two words for you. Pedal. Extenders.

They have been a lifesaver for me in many vehicles. I'm 4'10" with fairly short legs and, especially when pregnant, the only way I can drive many vehicles is by having pedal extenders installed. You have to buy them, but they're worth it. It makes vehicle shopping much easier and it's safer for you since you won't have to sit right on top of the steering wheel.

BudgieStew

I'm 4 11 and cannot drive so many cars because they just do not adjust to fit me....anything basically that has a manual seat adjustment rather then power does not work for me. I cannot even attempt to drive DH Outback.

We had a 08 Uplander rental and I made DH return it ASAP besides the fact that it felt like I was driving a tin can I was eating the steering wheel. Then we had a 08 Caravan for a month or so and while it was slightly better once cold weather hit there was not way I was going to be able to squeeze in the car wearing a winter jacket. Keep in mind both of these were base models so perhaps power pedals and power adjust seats are an option on higher trim.

IME the only cars that tend to fit me well are Fords with the power pedals and power seats.

We had a 07 Ford Freestar that fit very well. I just tried a friend 09 Taurus X that fit me even better and after trying out a Flex recently it fit rather well....the only thing that bugged me big time was the headrest, they have a new design for safety and if you keep you seat back upright it gets annoying.

The 09 Flex does not have the telescoping steering wheel and the Job 1 of the 10 Flex will not either but I've been told that the Job 2's will..now if that is on all trim levels or just the Limited or and option on the SE/SEL I don't know.

DH and I are buying a Flex and wanted to wait for a 2010 but to order one it would be October before it arrived and I am without a car otherwise we would wait.

So try to get a car with the power pedals, power seats and telescoping steering wheel and you should be fine.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC