Help with 5 carseats in Dodge Caravan

Nena2007

I have an 08 Dodge Caravan. Both captain seats have top tethers and there is one in the third row (3 across) that is off centered between two of the seats.

I have two children that are currently in the captain chairs, DD FF in her GN and DS RF in his RA. I will need to buy one other seat (at least) and I have two EFT 5s.

The other 3 children will be between the ages of 0-5 (foster children) because of state law, I know at least for a while only one of the three will be under 18 months (since my DS is, you can only have two under that age). And I would assume that unless I get a larger child, I can RF any child 3 and under.

What do you think is the best way to puzzle these seats in my car, with only one top tether in the back (taking up two seats) and with the seats I have?

Also, what other seat would you recommend for a versatile seat that can accommodate various ages of children?

ADS

MJHY27

I just got an '06 caravan, I only have 2 kids riding with me now, tf and ma rfing in the capitans chairs. I did try out some different seat combinations in the third row but out of the seats I have (tf, ma, SS and scenera) none would fit 3 across. Maybe 3 sceneras would work if you can try some out or radians?

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
In my 03, I've fit a TurboBooster, 2 sceneras. Or, TB, Scenera, Graco CarGo. Or TB, Titan, CarGo. You could certainly use the Radian but having at least one booster makes a huge difference. I doubt you can use the EFT in the back if you need 3 across, those are way too wide. Same with the Nautilus. I've tried all my seats with the GN and cannot fit 3 across (I really wish I could).

ginny4

my mom has an 07 & i have done a FPSVD (ff) in center & turbo HB & NBB outbaord. it was a TIGHT fit & my one in a backless complained the whole time of being squished into the FPSVD.
to me the caravans aren't the best with 3 across. you need some skinny seats. like combos of radians & sceneras maybe

APT

A couple good reads:
Need 4 TA
What I'll do if I need more TA in the 3rd row.

It is narrow back there for 3 across. All 3 seats will need to use seat belt installation as the LATCH spot is not in the exact center of the whole rear seat. I can fit a Turbobooster in the 40% (really 30%) side and still have full use of the larger side, or fold it down. You'll probably want 3 radians. Your oldest can still use one. RF in the 3rd row is a hassle to reach the buckles, but two RF in the middle makes it hard for the kids to climb back there.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC