gas mileage worse in summer?

teekadog

I thought I'd always heard you get worse gas mileage in the winter. But last September we took a road trip to the NE US in our Mazda5. This July we took a road trip to the SE US in our Mazda5 and averaged about 2 miles less per gallon. What gives?

ADS

teekadog

Yeah, I wondered about evaporation and air conditioning (we used *a lot* of a/c). If anything the car was lighter this time. Thanks for the help.

southpawboston

evaporation, not a chance.

A/C, definitely.

more weight in car, definitely.

different tires and/or tire pressures, definitely. (and did you check the pressures before your trip???!!!)

different terrain, cruising speed, etc can all make a difference. was this trip more hilly?

teekadog

We used A LOT of a/c.

The car was packed lighter.

We had just bought new tires and had the car aligned (checked the tire pressure, too, of course).

I would say that this trip was more level, and that we averaged a slower speed.

I'm really hoping it was the a/c, and not the new tires...

southpawboston

I'm really hoping it was the a/c, and not the new tires...

our winter tires deliver a best recorded mileage of 29, while our previous summer tires delivered a best of 32-33. we just bought new summer tires, and we're seeing 33-34. so, just switching brands of tires within the same class of tire (summer, all-season, performance, etc) can make a difference, although probably not as large as different classes of tire (for example, winter tires are softer rubber, so there is almost always more rolling resistance and hence, worse economy).

A/C also seems to make a difference of 1-2 mpg for us.

how different were your two averages???

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I just got new tires and we took a long trip...I got better mileage than driving in town, even with using loads of A/C...I bet it was the tires (in my case).
(don't try to pin me down on details, I need to fill up after 250-300 miles in town on old tires, made it to 325 on new tires on the freeway going way too fast with A/C blasting...)

teekadog

how different were your two averages???

My dh figured it... I think 24mpg last September and 22mpg this July? Not very good, but you have to take into account the roof top cargo box. And that these are averages over 4-5 days. Driving on SUPER windy Oklahoma highways one day and stuck in NJ traffic 2 days later really messes with your mileage LOL.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC