Question True Fit Installation

U

Unregistered

Wow, a mother of three and I have never had such a hard time installing a car seat.
Love love love the True Fit. We have a 2008 Mazda 5. Now we are having issues with the harness, cannot get it to tighten snugly on one side, the other is just fine. The buckle is jabbing his chubby little thigh.

I also have to squeeze my hand into the back of the seat to release or tighten the harness (son is almost 4 months old and 22 pounds)

The lock offs are a whole other story. I hope I did them right! The UAS latch is actually screwed into the car seat on an orange fabric
(From Canada, Purchased at Toys R Us)
Bought it yesterday, narrowed it to three, TF, Britax Marathon, or maybe the Evenflow Advance.....

I am wondering if I re routed the UAS wrong through the rear facing path and that is our issues with the harness? And God I hope it's on the right angle! Maybe I do need to use a pool noodle or a towel, do a lot of people? I have never had to in any car seats I've previously owned!

My goodness, any help would be great!

ADS

canmom

Hi and welcome to c-s.org :D! I will try my best to answer your questions with the TF.

The first issue with one side not tightening properly.... the TF has a continuous harness so what this means is under (where the child’s bum is) both sides of the harness is connected. To gain an understanding of this, with the seat empty (and the harness not done up) take hold of each side of the harness at the hip area... pull up on one side and the harness will tighten on the other side... pull up on the tight side and the first side will tighten. Hope that makes sense ;). The harness adjuster lever is really hard to access that is why I would leave it set to the correct tightness and then take advantage of the continuous harness rather than tightening and loosening each time.

If you think the UAS strap may be routed incorrectly... I would uninstall the seat... take off the cover at the bottom so you can see the UAS webbing as well as the harness. The UAS webbing should not be routed around the harness webbing (there was a poster recently that had this issue). This could also cause the issue with the harness you’re having.

You may need a pool noodle but the only way we can tell you that is to see a picture. Angle of the seat really depends on the child... 45 degrees is required with younger babies who can't hold up their own heads... older children can be as upright as 35 degrees in this particular seat. I suspect your son would need closer to 45 degrees being that he is still pretty young. Post a picture of the install for us and we can check the recline.

Also, there are a number of Canadian technicians on this board if you think you need some one on one help.

jess71903

Ambassador
Not Canadian, but I do have a True Fit :). Welcome to c-s.org!

First, the continuous harness can be something to get used to if you have never had a seat with one. On the True Fit, it's really a benefit since, as canmom said, it's difficult to get to the harness adjuster. We just leave the harness adjusted to where it should be. I pull side 1 to get arm 1 in, then side 2 to get arm 2 in, then I just even up the straps by pulling them both at his chest, and buckle.

It sounds like the UAS strap could be routed behind the harness. Because it comes routed for FF, you have to bring the connectors to the middle, in between the harness straps, then to the RF belt path. The little orange strap might have 1 twist in it when you do that to get the connectors right-side up (the tightener is usually on the passenger side and the connectors should have the wording facing out and have an arrow for which side goes up).

If you take a pic, we may be able to help some more :).

U

Unregistered

Thanks ladies so much for your replys! What a brilliant site this is.

We're going to take the car seat out and check the harness and UAS to make sure it's not causing the problem. How silly to have to re route it when you buy it. They should just have it seperate in the box so parents can route it to the position they need RF or FF.

I so understand the 'continous harness' thing now. So we will try that, tighten one side and than the other leaving the adjuster alone. And I do think we are going to need a pool noodle. From the few pics I saw there is NO WAY it is reclined to a 45 degree angle!

We will re do everyting tomorrow and I shall take a pic and get it on here ASAP as we are leaving here Friday for a camping trip and I want to know that it is properly installed.

Thanks again so much!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC