thoughts on Sunday NYT Magazine column

the Other 0.1% by Matt Bai in last Sunday's NY times Magazine - made me wonder how many of you do something to render unused seatbelts inaccessible to curious young LO's (DH asked why we never worried about one of our kids getting tangled up in the center belt like the author's child did, and I replied that it was a non-issue since our '97 Civic has a center lap belt without an automatic locking retractor and the other rear seat belts were always in use to secure DDs' car seats)

and of course I started wondering - was the 3Yo outboard and grabbed the center belt, or was he in a LATCH installed seat in the center so the belt was free for him to grab?

ADS

Maedze

My oldest child did this in a forward facing Britax Wizard a few YEARS back. It was installed outboard in a 2000 Dodge Stratus with lightweight locking latchplates. He managed to reach behind him, get the shoulder belt and wrap it around his neck. Of course it wasn't locked, but he did start to strangle himself before DH realized.

(edited it to correct date, this was years, not weeks, ago! Most of the 'tips and tricks' to prevent this would not have worked in this situation because the seat was installed with a belt, but not locked at the retractor)

Last edited:

AtTheSouthDam

I do. If the seat belt is not in use it is either disconnected from the seat or buckled and locked. I have to remember to undo the middle row one every time DH has carpool and usually do :)

mommy2jasmine

I could totally see my DD do this. She likes to grab things with her feet, including the middle shoulder belt, and I can always hear her back there pulling on it and playing with it. I'll be crossing my fingers, and of course, always carrying a knife of some sort in the glove box, from now on.

southpawboston

i've discussed this before-- my method is to tuck the unused belt behind the rear seat. since the rear seat folds down, it's possible to position the belt behind the seat while the seat is folded forward. doing this doesn't interfere with the seat locking mechanism, the seat just sandwiches the belt between the seat and the car's frame. this way the belts are completely inaccessible to LOs.

fyrfightermomma

Right now I don't. If I leave them where they are not buckled there is no way in high heaven my RFing child will get to it. It's way too far away (captains chair of a minivan). And my FFing child has massive SIP wings so theres no way she can get to it either.

But if I buckled it across the seat and then installed her seat, the shoulder belt would lay right across where her feet go. She easily could hook a foot under and pull it to her if she wanted (locking latchplates, not retractors). If i had a seat other than the YS I probably would put the seatbelt behind the FFing seat but with that seat theres no way they can get to it.

So for now in our situation, I leave them. If I buckled them first, then the RFing child could get to it.

kathysr98

Great! One more thing for me to obsess about...will have to remove seat, tuck seatbelt in and reinstall...in three cars.

daniele_ut

I can't remember in which car manual I read it, but one of our car manuals said you should always buckle the seatbelt and lock it before installing a seat with LATCH in front of it so that a child could not strangle themselves with the loose belt. I've always done that, but I haven't taken care of the unused belt. I will now, though. Southpawboston's method would work in my car as well.

emandbri

My seats are installed with seat belts but when I had them installed with latch I locked the seat belt, I also try to remember to tell parents about it at checks.

:yeahthat:
x3..I had the two rear facing seats in captains chairs with latch but I just got my frontier and turned Fiona ffing, I have it in with latch at the moment even though lbp is working for us too.. the latch is just easy.. I took the belt and buckled it behind the captains chair locked it, cause Julianna can reach it from her booster and she is always playing with it.. I have caught them playing with seat belts before:thumbsdown:

outnumberedby6

x3..I had the two rear facing seats in captains chairs with latch but I just got my frontier and turned Fiona ffing, I have it in with latch at the moment even though lbp is working for us too.. the latch is just easy.. I took the belt and buckled it behind the captains chair locked it, cause Julianna can reach it from her booster and she is always playing with it.. I have caught them playing with seat belts before:thumbsdown:

i think i am set, my littlest is rfing in a ma he cannot reach the shoulder belt.
my middle child is harnessed in a regent, he could try but there is barely any belt left and since he is harnessed he would have no luck at it reaching him all of two inches or so that is left.
my oldest is sitting in a hbb
and in the middle of them is an empty lap only belt
the other captain chair is empty so i buckled that.
i dont have locking retractors just lightweight locking latch plates but still, my almost 7 year old i can see him doing something like that. he has ADHD and often doesnt think before he does something.
what kind of van do u have? do u like it? i am not pleased with mine :(

i think i am set, my littlest is rfing in a ma he cannot reach the shoulder belt.
my middle child is harnessed in a regent, he could try but there is barely any belt left and since he is harnessed he would have no luck at it reaching him all of two inches or so that is left.
my oldest is sitting in a hbb
and in the middle of them is an empty lap only belt
the other captain chair is empty so i buckled that.
i dont have locking retractors just lightweight locking latch plates but still, my almost 7 year old i can see him doing something like that. he has ADHD and often doesnt think before he does something.
what kind of van do u have? do u like it? i am not pleased with mine :(

I could see my 7 year old doing something like that too! lol.. I have a mercury monteray, it was only made from 03-04 so honestly mine is the only one I have ever seen.. Its OK.. I don't hate it but I think there are minivans I like better.. the toyotas seem nice... my third row is IMPOSSIBLE TO install a seat with seat belt.. the pull out 4 inches no matter what I do even if they do not move at all at side to side at the belt path.. and there is no room to rf back there esp with a radian.

outnumberedby6

Yea my inlaws and my friend just got hers and they have the stow and go seats. What a pain. The back seat sits 3 but not 3 car seats. At least not easily. If at all. The seats are very close together too which means u cant rf in the back and the doors open on each side which is nice cept u will have to forego one door to rf in one of the two captain chairs in the middle.
At least she has latch. :( we do not.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC