Honda Odyssey Question

Aaron'smommy

Now, after reading crash testing results given to me on the other thread I posted, I'm pondering a Honda Odyssey. But I have a question- I realize the best place for a LO is in the middle seat. I also know that the Captain's chairs in the Odyssey are moveable and so you can move the seat to the middle. But there's no other seat on the "passenger side" area to absorb a crash if you were to have one. So, is an Odyssey a good idea? I mean, the Sienna you can get it 8 passenger with a middle seat and, therefore, another seat to help absorb some of the hit on either side, but if a vehicle is coming through your side door on the Right, your LO is the first thing that vehicle encounters.

I think too much, I know.... THANK YOU ALL OF YOU NICE PEOPLE WHO ARE HELPING ME!!!

:D :eek:

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It's the frame that is protecting you, not the seat. The extra space is the advantage. Keep in mind that any seat in back is very safe if the child can be restrained properly. Seated in an outboard seat you are closer to a near-side impact, but you are also much farther from an impact on the other side.

The Odyssey is a very safe choice for a minivan, so are the Sienna, Sedona and Quest.

lovinwaves

If you plan on having more children then it really wouldn't matter anyways. Also in a minivan or at least in my Odyssey the outboard seats aren't as close to the side as like in an standard Car or SUV. I actually have my second row seat slid over to the middle right now because of extra protection in a side impact crash.

As Darren stated you really can't go wrong with either the Sienna, Ody, or Sedona. Keep in mind the Sedona is going to be a little smaller, not have all bells and whistles, and recommends using Premium Fuel. Also the Sienna and Odyssey have a longer track record all around. The Sienna is going to give you more of a cushy ride, and Odyssey more of a sporty ride. The Sienna is roughly 2 inches wider than the Odyssey, and the overall feel in the Sienna is going to feel bigger. If you can get 0% financing on the Sienna that is awesome. I think we got our Ody on 3% terms.

hsjwmom

Ok, I just have to pipe up now! I LOVE my Sienna! I got an '06 in August and drove an '01 for about 5 1/2 years. I don't think I've driven my dh SUV since! I used to once in a while when I had my '01, but now, I don't even want to RIDE in his!

I'm going to mention something that I know little to nothing about...My dad has a Hyundai and a Honda and there is something about them that he is pretty unhappy about. Interference Engines. If you don't change the timing belt and it breaks, kiss your engine goodbye! (Dad’s words here) This is NOT to say that they aren't good vehicles! You just HAVE to change the timing belt on your vehicle at the recommended intervals.

http://www.leemyles.com/articles/interference-engines-and-timing-belts.html

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=3431

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
That's standard maintenence though, and really applies to most cars. If you don't maintain it properly it will not last as long.

Yup. I believe the Sienna also has a maintenance interval for replacing the timing belt. Can't double check my owners manual for my '05 Sienna at the moment (lap nap time for DD2), but I'm pretty sure it's recommended in there.

hsjwmom

I'm not trying to argue...just explaining my dad's position a bit more. I personally know pretty much nothing about the issue!

Maintenance is a must, of course! My dad just doesn't like the fact that if he has to replace the timing belt sooner than some others even if it doesn't have that much wear.

"Rather than use a steel timing chain, interference engines may use a rubber timing belt with its limited life, whereas steel timing belts typically last 150,000 to 200,000 miles or more. "

"If a rubber timing belt breaks by not being replaced soon enough, some of the valves stuck in their open position will collide with the top of the pistons, thereby breaking or irreversibly damaging one or the other or both. To make matters worse, it is not possible to measure the wear on such a rubber belt so that it could be replaced when there is some indication of imminent failure. Failure in these belts is catastrophic, without warning. This will require a whole new engine be installed. Woe to the owner. Finally, the rubber belt may have to be replaced long before 60,000 miles solely due to its age."

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
There aren't too many non-interference engines left around these days. Toyota has had a couple in recent years, but I'm not sure if the Sienna is one of them.

lovinwaves

I agree, I haven't heard of a non-interference engine in many years. I thought that was kind of "old school". I changed my Honda's and my Toyota's at 90,000 miles, and they are both from what I hear doing fine(new owners). It is just part of buying a car. Knowing that that dang "timing belt" has to be changed. It's expensive, but worth it in the long run. It is a cost you must factor in. Unless of course you want to sell it before it hits the recommended mileage for changing the belt. :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Toyota has touted some "freerunning" non-interference engines even in some current Toyo and Lexus models. I seem to recall there being some debate as to whether the implementation of the 3.3L engine in the 2004-2006 Sienna was one of these or not.

Aaron'smommy

If I would get a Sienna, does anyone know, does the middle seat (thinking of buying an 8 pass Sienna if I get one) have the LATCH system on it? Can you put a seat on that one okay? It costs about $150 more for that seat in the van, so no biggie. I waiver between the Sienna and Odyssey hourly! Ahhhh!!!!

:eek: :confused:

twokidstwodogs

Our 2005 Odyssey is technically an eight-passenger van, with the Plus One seat as the third seat in the second row. We've never used it, so I have no idea what it's like to install a carseat in it, if you even can. We have our two kids in the captain's chairs, which is what most people do. A good installation in an outboard seat beats a mediocre installation in a center seat for safety particularly when the outboard seats are in a car as safe as an Odyssey or Sienna.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The 8th seat in the Sienna is basically a real captain's chair with an integrated shoulder belt and LATCH. The Odyssey PlusOne seat is a mini seat, most appropriate for a child in a booster or an older child in a seatbelt. There is no LATCH or tether anchor, but there is a shoulder belt that comes out of the ceiling. While the Sienna seat is bulky to move and remove, the Odyssey seat stows nicely under the floor (have to remove lazy susan) and is removed more easily as well. My comparison may help you:

http://www.epinions.com/content_208641101444

lovinwaves

I love our "Eighth stow away seat". It has been very handy for us. I have actually installed a couple of carseats in that seat using the seatbelt, and have got a good install. It is possible especially with a Britax that has a smaller foot on the bottom of the carseat. I love that I can take that seat out very easily and stow it internally inthe van. The Lazy Susan is also a great feature of the Odyssey. You may check that out if you haven't. Here are some pictures of our Odyssey. You can see in these photos we have the eighth seat folded down with makes a great hard surfaced holder for drinks, misc. items (when the vehicle is not moving, of course) In the second photo you can see a Marathon installed rear-facing, and that Eighth seat up. In that particular photo the headrest is all the way down, but it actually rises up pretty far. That seat also has an adjustable recline feature. Very nice..

Darren, mentioned that the Eighth seat is good for boosters and young children, but I often sit back there in between my two babies very comfortably. Unfortunately, it is not safe because the head rest hits me in the upper back ( I am 5' 9"), but it can come in handy if we are stopped, and I need to give them attention. I have actually breastfed between the two captain's chairs in the eighth seat.

I always seem to learn something new about the Odyssey. There are some pretty amazing features on it, including safety. I don't know if the Sienna has these features, but either way they are both awesome vans. YOu can also go here to get more info regarding the Odyssey.
http://www.hondanews.com/catID2059

Another new thing I learned this week is that I don't have to get my oil changed every 3,000 miles. The service manager told me to only come in when my oil life computer says 15%. I had gone in at 3,000 mile interval but it still had a 50% oil life on it. Pretty sweet!! It has a built in computer (like BMW's do) that record and calculate how you are driving, and what kind of conditions you are driving in. So you only need an oil change when it says so. He said Honda is trying to lower Maintenance cost on their newer vehicles. YIPPEE!!

4785700_1024.ts1159587121880.jpg

6279806_1024.ts1163961650830.jpg

Last edited:

tchrgrrl

If you look at Informed for Life's 2006 vehicle ratings the Toyota Sienna is rated a "medium risk" and not even near the top 10% of vehicles - that right there would make the Sienna out of the running for me. That being said, 3 weeks ago we were in a side impact collision in our 2006 Odyssey with a RF and a FF Britax seat in each of the outboard second row seats. I firmly believe had we been in a less-safe vehicle my almost 4 year old and DH would have been seriously injured - instead we all walked away. The safety ratings are pretty serious stuff.

As for the 8th seat in the Odyssey - we have ours installed in the upright position all of the time - it is great for blankets and soft toys and my almost 4 year old can reach stuff there while still firmly harnessed in his seat. We are currently renting a Kia Sedona and it has no middle seat and stuff is constantly falling in between the captain's chairs. BUT if I had the Odyssey and one child, I would remove the Plus One (8th) seat and slide the captain's chairs together to get a good RF'ing install in the center position seat.

lovinwaves

If you look at Informed for Life's 2006 vehicle ratings the Toyota Sienna is rated a "medium risk" and not even near the top 10% of vehicles - that right there would make the Sienna out of the running for me. That being said, 3 weeks ago we were in a side impact collision in our 2006 Odyssey with a RF and a FF Britax seat in each of the outboard second row seats. I firmly believe had we been in a less-safe vehicle my almost 4 year old and DH would have been seriously injured - instead we all walked away. The safety ratings are pretty serious stuff.

As for the 8th seat in the Odyssey - we have ours installed in the upright position all of the time - it is great for blankets and soft toys and my almost 4 year old can reach stuff there while still firmly harnessed in his seat. We are currently renting a Kia Sedona and it has no middle seat and stuff is constantly falling in between the captain's chairs. BUT if I had the Odyssey and one child, I would remove the Plus One (8th) seat and slide the captain's chairs together to get a good RF'ing install in the center position seat.

I was actually just thinking of you! Are you guys still feeling pretty sore? Are the kids feeling ok too? I'm glad to see you guys got to rent the Kia Sedona. What do you think of it?

tchrgrrl

I was actually just thinking of you! Are you guys still feeling pretty sore? Are the kids feeling ok too? I'm glad to see you guys got to rent the Kia Sedona. What do you think of it?
Thanks for thinking of us! I am feeling pretty good - the nasty seatbelt rash/bruise has finally gone away and I am just a little tender across my chest still. We did get to rent the Sedona and while I am thrilled that it is the safest rental possible I am REALLY missing my Odyssey - they are just not even close to comparable - I miss comfortable seats, auto sliding doors, 8th seat, auto temp controls, outside temp reading, underseat drawers, automatic front seats, cd-changer, and on and on and on - nothing like spending a week on a roadtrip in a rental to make you appreciate what you are missing! We are having all sorts of troubles with the estimate/body shop/insurance for the Odyssey so worst case scenario we could be in the Sedona in to February :( BUT I just keep reminding myself that we didn't buy the Odyssey to be in the lap of luxury (although that part was lovely!) we bought it for safety and the Sedona is actually rated safer than the Odyssey - so we are happy to have it (especially since the other guys' insurance co is picking up the rental tab!).

Aaron'smommy

Ok, thanks to all of you giving great help, looks like the Odyssey is going to win! Thanks, everyone! I just wish they had good financing right now... oh well, I guess safety can't be measured in $ sometimes...

:)

tchrgrrl- glad you are okay, wow! Thank goodness you had such safety features!

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If you look at Informed for Life's 2006 vehicle ratings the Toyota Sienna is rated a "medium risk" and not even near the top 10% of vehicles - that right there would make the Sienna out of the running for me.

The '06 Sienna rating on Informed for Life is for a Sienna without ESC (electronic stability control). If you look at the '07 Sienna scoring, it has a lower (safer) score of 64.7 when equipped with the optional ESC. It's a safety feature worth having and should be standard IMHO, just like it's standard on the Odyssey. ;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC