Would you feel comfortable using a stroller without a brake?...

emandbri

I posted below that my brake is broken on my MBUS and it doesn't look like trying to fix it will do any good. My kids are in the stroller for a long time, I figure Elizabeth will be in it for at least the next 2 years, 3 if I keep her home a year and she starts kindergarten late. Even now if Benjamin is with me he will be in the stroller as much as Elizabeth and he is 6.

I have the MBUS and two macs but use the MBUS 90% of the time. As I see it I have 3 options.

Keep using the MBUS without the brake which makes me a little nervous if I'm at a place that isn't flat.

Use the MBUS for the mall and use a mac when outside where it might not be flat.

Buy a new stroller.

When I bought the MBUS I promised Brian it would be the last stroller I would ever buy. That was 5 years ago. I have almost kept my promise, the exception being a mac techno that I bought off craigslist for $30 so we would have a stroller that Benjamin could fit it when we go to disney world in Sept.

I love my stroller SOOOO much! and Brian knows I love it so much. I actually think he would be okay with me buying another one.

What would you do?

ADS

BekahD

If you really love and use your stroller a lot then I would get a new one. I don't use mine much and live in an area where everything is flat and flatter. I don't think I've actually had to use the brake before... but I use my stroller maybe 5 times a year?

vonfirmath

I would continue to use said stroller and have a second for when going places not flat.

But then, I don't recall having actually used the brake on my stroller that often.

Talk to your husband -- pluses and minuses. Figure out how much this would affect your use of your current stroller.

lovinwaves

Never, ever, ever, ever with a MBUS. They are balanced way to perfectly, and will "take off" on you in a heartbeat even on flat ground. All it takes is a second for your stroller to get away from you and a catastrophe could happen.

I have you tried fixing it yourself? The brakes, IIRC, aren't terribly complicated. There might be someone on craigslist with a good mechanical or welding background that might be able to fix it. For a stroller like that, I think it would be worth it.

Have you tried to see if MB has a replacement brake for it?

Also, you wouldn't mind taking a picture of the broken brake would you? I am just curious where it is broken.

emandbri

here is the thread about the broken brake. It is possible that the brake keeps going into the wheel because of the broken piece.

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=87169

Here is my lasted e-mail from MB.

"Phil&Teds has recently taken over distribution of Mountain Buggy, so unfortunately, we are out of the Mountain Buggy picture. I'm so sorry for this inconvenience!

I can certainly sell you a replacement brake bush for $5 plus $7 shipping (the black plastic piece that's broken). You can check with your local bike shop to see if they can do the repair or you can purchase a tool called a rivet gun or hand riveter at your local hardware store to do the repair yourself. Unfortunately, I don't believe we have another 2004 brake wire like the one we sent you.

Again, I apologize that we cannot be of further help, but at this point, we are no longer involved with Mountain Buggy."

I'm off to search but what is the "brake bush?"

And yes, it rolls VERY easily! There are places in the mall where it rolls off. I have to be very careful with it which is why I'm seriously considering replacing it if I can't get it fixed.

Emily

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Never, ever, ever, ever with a MBUS. They are balanced way to perfectly, and will "take off" on you in a heartbeat even on flat ground. All it takes is a second for your stroller to get away from you and a catastrophe could happen.
:yeahthat: My Valco Tri Mode was like that as well. The 1st time I used it, I took the baby shopping in the winter and forgot about the brake. We were on a flat parking lot that was coated in lumps and bumps of ice (but flat part wasn't slippery) and I put a package away in the vehicle, looked up, and freaked out because I thought someone had kidnapped my baby who had been RIGHT beside me. She was across the parking lot in front of PetSmart! I wasn't even on a hill and it got away and went over all those bumps and did it all silently. VERY scary!

That being said, you say your stroller is 5 years old? and your kids use it a lot and will use it a lot over the next few years? Get a new one. ;)

lovinwaves

Are you going to be in KC anytime soon? :whistle: I would absolutely love to try and fix this for you. I have fixed brakes on my strollers before that have this similar concept.

The pictures you took are just of the brake. Do you have any pictures of it actually on the stroller which shows your problem?

They definitely sent you the wrong size a few times I can see that, but it seems like maybe you are putting it on wrong :eek: I concur with MB about seeing a local bike shop. They should have the mechanical ability to troubleshoot this.

Continuing to use the stroller after hearing it consistently "click, click, click," probably didn't do you any good and now you may have officially toasted the brake. :(

emandbri

The instuctions just said to bend the break and put it on. I did it the same way the bike shop did it. The problem is that bending it to get it on bends it so much that it no longer works right.

I took it into the bike shop months ago and they were able to get rid of the clicking but then it only locked on one side, at least it wouldn't roll away though just go in circles!

This last time it was clicking it was only for one day so hopefully no permanent damage was done. I think that piece was broken before the clicking started but broke more right before.

Sorry not planning any trips to Kansas city! Wish I was I would love for you to fix it!

Last edited:

BabyGearCollector

Short answer for our strolling situations: Yes!

I don't recall any place we happened to use our stroller that a brake was imperative to have. Ours had one, but we never once used it. Most stroller rides were at the mall, on the fairly flat streets in our subdivision, or on the boardwalk at the ocean resort we'd vacation at - ocean being a good distance away. If we had had hilly situations to deal with, or were often around pools or other potentially hazardous areas, I'd definitely want a functioning brake.

Dave

Morganthe

I'm still stuck on making a promise 5 years ago to never ever buy another stroller despite having new young'uns. :dizzy:

Do you really think your dh remembers or even really cares? :scratcheshead: I know mine wouldn't :whistle: :duck:

It seems as if having a brake on this stroller is vital to its safety. If it can't be repaired easily. Get a new one -- for the sake of your children. I don't know how your dh could get upset about that. 5 years for regular use is a long time in kid-gear stuff. :)

emandbri

Do you really think your dh remembers or even really cares? :scratcheshead: I know mine wouldn't :whistle: :duck:

Oh he remembers. I bought LOTS of strollers and he was very upset when I spent so much on this one.

A did get the parts to fix it but the bike shop says they don't have the tools to put the new parts on. I'm going to try some other bike shops.

emandbri

Bumping this up again. I have been walking inside all winter and not having a brake wasn't too much of an issue but it has now gotten warmer.

I went to two bike shops and both said they couldn't help me. Looking at it again I would need somehow to get the big plastic piece off somehow and get a rivet gun to put the new ones on.

Any clue where I could go to have someone do that for me?

Last edited:

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If I honestluy didn't have the money to get a new one, but loved the stroller and it worked well otherwise, ,I'd tether myself to it when out and about. That way it can't possibly get away from you. Depending on how you dress, you can tie it to your belt, or around your wrist or something.

rochelle

I would buy a new MBUS or any other single jogger that is on sale.

Do you have REI or other sports shops selling joggers near you? I would let them take a look at your faulty brake.

My 4yr old double jogger has run away too many times at the park and at school if I don't brake the jogger. I brake and still hold on to the jogger while waiting at traffic crossings. My jogger has no hand brake so I am talking about the foot brake. (The two back wheels are already almost thread bare)

For one thing my DH refuse to buy from craigslist so we are only allowed to buy new. :eek:
DS2 still needs the jogger for another two years so if this jogger die on me, money has already been set aside for a replacement. The double jogger is to me what a second car is to my neighbours.

I had a Maclaren Techno, Graco Jogger, Graco Douglider before buying my Instep Double Jogger 4 yrs ago. They have all serve their purpose :)

emandbri

Do you have REI or other sports shops selling joggers near you? I would let them take a look at your faulty brake.

I do have a REI 30 min away. I don't think they can help me though. It isn't the brake. It is the piece the brake goes into. In trying to fix the brake I broke that piece.

Pixels

If I honestluy didn't have the money to get a new one, but loved the stroller and it worked well otherwise, ,I'd tether myself to it when out and about. That way it can't possibly get away from you. Depending on how you dress, you can tie it to your belt, or around your wrist or something.

This is what I would do. Rig something up that is similar to the wrist strap on joggers. Wear it.

emandbri

I have thought about rigging it up and strapping it to my waist might be hard to get her out though without it rolling away, that is really the only time I have trouble.

A friend of mine dh has rivet guns at work and he is going to try to fix it. I first have to go find some washers the sent me the wrong ones. The instructions say M-12 for 2004 and earlier and M-10 for 2005 and newer and they sent me a M-10 for my 2003.

Wish me luck!

Pixels

When I'm loading/unloading and don't have the brake on, I put my foot between the front and back wheels (regular 4-wheel stroller, I don't know if yours is a 3-wheeler). That way, if the stroller rolls forward, the back wheel is stopped by my foot, and if the stroller rolls backward, the front wheel is stopped by my foot. I only do this when I'm paying attention to my child, as there is the risk that the stroller could decide to roll sideways away from me and my foot. It does catch the stroller 99% of the time.

lovinwaves

You never posted pictures for us to see what your issue is :whistle:

If you absolutely can't fix it. Either trash the stroller, or call MB and get a leash. If they don't have a leash for you, call Baby Jogger and order one from them :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC