Britax Question- Rear Facing or not???

U

Unregistered

I just started using my Britax Marathon for my 14 month old (26lbs, 33"), and I have so far had her rear facing (we still use the Graco SafeSeat in the other car, so don't want to get her used to facing forward).

Here is my question: I have heard that it is recommended to keep them rear facing until age 2 now...and I planned to do this, yet on the side of my Britax it clearly states that "rear facing is for infants under 20lbs only. Which am I supposed to listen to??? Am I endangering her in the seat by keeping her rear facing?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

-Megan

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
That's bad wording that you find on every seat. It means that under 20 pounds you can ONLY use it rear facing. 20-35 pounds is optional rear facing (and yes, highly encouraged to two years old, and in fact well beyond if your daughter fits by height and weight).

You'd be doing her a huge disservice by forward facing her now. To the tune of 500% more likely to be injured or killed in a collision. And yet all of the seats have that wonky wording that I have to wonder if it causes too many premature forward facers.

Wendy

stiggygirl

That's bad wording that you find on every seat. It means that under 20 pounds you can ONLY use it rear facing. 20-35 pounds is optional rear facing (and yes, highly encouraged to two years old, and in fact well beyond if your daughter fits by height and weight).

You'd be doing her a huge disservice by forward facing her now. To the tune of 500% more likely to be injured or killed in a collision. And yet all of the seats have that wonky wording that I have to wonder if it causes too many premature forward facers.

Wendy

Thank you for the info Wendy! So, she can stay rear facing up to 35 pounds, but is there a maximum height limit on rear facing? Or is it just as long as she is comfortable with her cramped leg space? Obviously I'd rather her break a leg in an accident than have spinal/head injuries, so her safety comes before comfort, but she will eventually get TOO long to be rear facing- is there an average height people call it quits at?

Thanks again!

-Megan

myliljunebugs

Kids can rear face in the Britax convertibles until their head reaches 1 inch from the top of the shell OR they reach 35 lbs. I don't believe leg comfort will be an issue IMO. Here is a pic of my dd rearfacing (her last day) at 34lbs

June164.jpg
June165.jpg

Does she look uncomfortable? ;)

Last edited:

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
Kids can rear face in the Britax convertibles until their head reaches the top of the shell OR they reach 35 lbs. I don't believe leg comfort will be an issue IMO. Here is a pic of my dd rearfacing (her last day) at 34lbs

Does she look uncomfortable? ;)

Britax convertibles are outgrown when the child hits the weight limit or there is less than 1 inch of shell above the top of the head. They don't allow the head to be at the top of the shell.

Last edited:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Kids can rear face in the Britax convertibles until their head reaches the top of the shell OR they reach 35 lbs.

There needs to be at least an inch of shell over the head. So you'd stop using it rear-facing when there's less than an inch of shell, or when the RF weight limit is met (35 lbs for a Marathon, unless it's an older model, which might be 33).

myliljunebugs

Oh gosh I'm sorry :( I'll edit, could you please remove the pics from your quote? Later on down the road I will end up moving pics around so they don't float around indefinitely and it won't work if you quote them. :) Thanks!

myliljunebugs

Okay, maybe that is where I got it from. DD used to have Britax convertibles and I had it in my head that she could go to the shell. Sorry about that

Sarah Tilton

CPST Instructor
The first bullet statement on the Warning label on Britax convertibles is a mandated statement per FMVSS 213. Its intended meaning is as stated previously - a child less than 20 lbs. must be rear-facing - cannot go forward -facing.

The second bullet in the second sentence defines the minimum and maximum capacities both rear and forward-facing.

Thanks-

Sarah
Britax

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC