Question Harness position on the True Fit

tixiepoo

Edited: Just added pictures in post #4. Are you sure it looks okay on slot #2???

Info:
DD is currently 17 months, 29 in long and 21 lbs 6 oz.
She rides RF in a TF in a '03 Honda Pilot and an '09 VW Jetta.

After recently re-installing the true fit in a more upright position, I realized that the second slots are above her shoulders. It is possible that they were slightly above her shoulders before, but I couldn't tell because I was using the head support/pillow. The problem is that when I lower the harness to the first slot, it is too low. In addition to squishing her shoulders, the harness looks as if it would pull off of her shoulders in an accident.

We've never used the infant padding, and although it might give her another enough height to be slightly above the 2nd slot, she is almost to the weight that it would have to be removed anyway.

Purchasing another seat is not really an option and we just purchased the 2nd True Fit and DH really isn't that understanding of Car Seat safety.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
ADS

Mommy0608

How far is it above her shoulders? If it's just barely (like 1/4" or so) then I'd leave it there. If you're adjusting the harness tight enough, she won't be ramping up out of the seat in a crash. If the harness wants to slip off, it's safer to be just above than have it that low.

Also make sure you aren't tightening TOO much. You shouldn't be able to pinch any slack lengthwise at her shoulders, but it might appear looser over her belly. As long as it's tight over her thighs and shoulders, it's good.

kaysmom

How far is it above her shoulders? If it's just barely (like 1/4" or so) then I'd leave it there. If you're adjusting the harness tight enough, she won't be ramping up out of the seat in a crash. If the harness wants to slip off, it's safer to be just above than have it that low.

I agree, we had the same problem with my daughter and our True Fit...it was slipping off of her shoulders because it was too far under her shoulders and when we moved it up it was just a little above. So we just made sure she was always in there correctley and felt that it was better than the slippage!

And that's awesome that your keeping your DD rearfacing:thumbsup:

tixiepoo

Thank you both for your quick replies.

I was worried that I would hear that I needed to move her into a different seat. Glad to know that I am not the only one who has had that problem. I can't measure her in the seat right now since she's sleeping, but I don't think she is more than a 1/2 an inch below the 2nd slot. I want to say she is about 1/4 of an in. below when wearing a cloth diaper and about 1/2 an in. below when wearing a sposie. Other than being below the slot, she seems to fit perfectly. Glad to hear that it shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, and congrats to you too. Our LOs aren't that far apart in age. :) I am hoping to get to 3, especially with her being such a little peanut.

tixiepoo

2nd slot, too high???

015-4.jpg

007-3.jpg

018.jpg

1st slot, too low???

013-4.jpg

014-3.jpg

Should I just add the infant insert even though she is almost 22 lbs?

Mommy0608

Actually, I think the lower slot is fine. The next one up seems too high in my opinion. :eek: It's probably not dangerously high because there is so much shell above her head, but if you can make it work on the lower slots I'd stick with that. However, if you really have an issue with the straps falling off her shoulders, you'll have to make the decision about whether to move the straps up. Also, you could try using it without the harness pads to see if that makes a difference.

Be sure you're not over-tightening the harness, as I described in my first response to this thread.

She's a cutie, by the way! ;)

kaysmom

Oh, and congrats to you too. Our LOs aren't that far apart in age. :) I am hoping to get to 3, especially with her being such a little peanut.

Yeah they are close...arent they fun at this age:love: I dont have anything to add since I agree with Jenny that it's a parental decision on which slots to use. The 2nd seem a little high, but only you know how much they are slipping off her shoulders, too...if that makes any sence!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
It looks to me like the harness is tightened too much on her in the position #1 picture. I can see the strap pressing in to her skin enough to create a slight indent in one picture, so I'm thinking it's over-tightened.

The last picture in position #3 the harness height looks ok, but in the other ones it does look slightly higher than what I'd be comfortable with.

Do you need to have the seat more upright? You could always just reinstall it more reclined again and solve the problem that way - it would probably put her close enough to position #2 to not have to worry about it.

I was in the same dilemma with my ds, on long trips he would end up about 1/2" below the harness in position 3, but the fit just wasn't the best in position 2. After yo-yo'ing back and forth I finally decided to leave him in position 3 knowing that a good fit was better than one that seemed to really press him down in to the seat and threaten to slip off his shoulders. He's even with them now so it's no longer a debate, but I drove myself nuts for awhile. :eek: He was already bordering on 30lbs so the insert wasn't even an option at that point...

So all that to say, that only you can make the final decision because you're the one seeing her in the seat. I do think she'd be ok in #1 though if the harness wasn't tightened quite as much. :thumbsup:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC