Potential issue with Complete Air

Mommy0608

**UPDATED with more detailed pics in post 29**

I mentioned this in my pics thread, but wanted to post a separate thread to draw more attention to this.

Jessica's head is pretty high between the wings. However, she's just barely over the 2nd from bottom harness position so she has a lot of torso growing to do before moving the harness up. My concern is that her head will be up pretty high before her shoulders are high enough for the next harness position. I'm not sure I like her head sticking up above the wings... they are there for a reason!

Any thoughts about this?

JessicainCompleteAir.jpg

Last edited:
ADS

jujumum

Hmm..... Do you think this might have anything to do with the 40" rf height limit?

This has me thinking - what are the rf seats with headwings?

• BV - headwings with infinite combined harness/headwing adjustment.
  • TF - has side wings, but they don't move regardless of harness height
  • RNXT - harness height is fixed, but headwings are separate

Am I missing any? Is the CA the only rf seat with headwings where both the harness height and headwing height are combined and fixed? By 'fixed' I mean not infinite like the BV.

Mommy0608

The AO/AOE seats have the headrest and harness that move as one. Not sure if this is an issue on those seats. Anyone?

kandamom

Wow, Jessica is just adorable!!

I think it would bother me - maybe not where her head is now, but certainly if here head were even a little higher in relation to the wings. I was actually wondering why you had the wings down so low for her when I first saw your pictures, before you had mentioned anything about this issue. I didn't realize that the wings are fixed in relation to the harness. I was wondering if it had something to do with the 40" thing as a pp mentioned, but Jessica isn't even 40" yet. Wouldn't you have the same issue when between the bottom slots and the ones Jessica uses?

I'll be watching this thread with great interest. I was deciding between the radian and complete air, but ended up going with the radian. I'm not crazy about the recline angle of the radian, so I might end up with this one as well at some point. (If I sell our current back-up and a couple marathon covers - maybe, just maybe...)

Rebecca
K - 7.5, 51.5", 57 lbs, Monterey
A - 24 months, 37.5", 32 lbs, rf in a Radian65

Maedze

I don't think it will be a major problem; you'll also have to move upward if her shoulders impact the bottom of the wings, and that will happen before her head is substantially above the top of them.

Also, I don't think the 'at or below the shoulders' bit matters *quite* as much as it did in the old-style seats that were designed for actual toddlers (under 2 years) and thus had very short shells). It's not like her head isn't still contained in the shell if she ramps up.

Mommy0608

I'm fine with it right now but not sure how I'll feel as her head gets higher. :(

This could be an issue for any of the harness positions as the child approaches the need for the harness to be raised, though this is happening when she is just barely over the 2nd position.

Ugh! Not sure what to do. I don't want her head sticking up over the top.

Mommy0608

I don't think it will be a major problem; you'll also have to move upward if her shoulders impact the bottom of the wings, and that will happen before her head is substantially above the top of them.

Also, I don't think the 'at or below the shoulders' bit matters *quite* as much as it did in the old-style seats that were designed for actual toddlers (under 2 years) and thus had very short shells). It's not like her head isn't still contained in the shell if she ramps up.

Yes, I'm fine with the straps being a *little* over her shoulders but not too much. Right now she's okay, but moving the harness up soon will put it pretty far above her shoulders.

I didn't even think about her shoulders hitting the headrest. I wonder if this is something Dorel is aware of??

Mama Jo

Can I just say that she is about the cutest thing I've ever seen??!!

I have no advice. But I'd be interested to see a pic if someone else has one and their kid is still below the next slot, but closer than Jessica is...

Mommy0608

Thanks. :) I think she's pretty cute myself. ;)

I'd be interested in seeing kids who are closer to the next slot, too.

4boysmom

I am thinking with the first set of harness slots this wouldn't be a truely comparable issue because a shorter/smaller child is also going to have a shorter/smaller head so a baby's head will be say as tall as Jessica's mid forehead, well contained w/i the wings no matter how above the slots they are.
I also saw the potential shoulder issue being just as much an issue as the head wings. She looks mighty close to her shoulders being inside the wings themselves from the picture.
Looks like this may end up being a great idea that still requires a bit of tweaking ala the AO/AOE that was pretty bad for what like 5?6?7? or more years before becoming a "decent" seat within the last year or two...

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
It doesn't look troublesome to me...the top of her head has seat shell and EPP foam behind it, and most of her head/face has the wings on the side of it...where's her head gonna go, really? Into the wings...

:)

Mommy0608

Right now it's definitely not an issue. I guess my concern is what her head will look like in relation to the headrest when she's just about ready for the next harness position.

I just went out and looked at it and there's maybe only 1 3/4-2" between the harness positions, so I guess it probably won't be an issue. If she gets to about 1/4-1/2" from the next position and her head is getting too far over (for my liking), then I will make the parental decision to go ahead and move the headrest and harness up to the next position. Right now I'd say she's just about 1/4" over the 2nd position.

4boysmom

It doesn't look troublesome to me...the top of her head has seat shell and EPP foam behind it, and most of her head/face has the wings on the side of it...where's her head gonna go, really? Into the wings...

:)

at this point yes but if her head was say an inch higher wouldn't that be a "touriva notches" type deal (not the same but another issue with lack of uniform supprt in the head area)? Isn't the issue with the notches of death that the head impacted mostly against the shell but part of the head (temple area iirc) had no support in the small recessed area? Wouldn't there be a similar issue if her temples were in the head wings but the rest of her head was above the wings??? Her lower head would have support but the upper part of the head would continue to try and find something to impact against without the head being more or less fully in the wings... Just pondering the logistics.....

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I definitely don't have any concerns right now. I agree with Julie- her head will still go into the wings. However, I can see how it could be a problem when she is almost ready for the next slots. Hmmm...

Mommy0608

at this point yes but if her head was say an inch higher wouldn't that be a "touriva notches" type deal (not the same but another issue with lack of uniform supprt in the head area)? Isn't the issue with the notches of death that the head impacted mostly against the shell but part of the head (temple area iirc) had no support in the small recessed area? Wouldn't there be a similar issue if her temples were in the head wings but the rest of her head was above the wings??? Her lower head would have support but the upper part of the head would continue to try and find something to impact against without the head being more or less fully in the wings... Just pondering the logistics.....

:eek: Um, what? I've heard of the "notches of death" but never knew what that meant exactly. I'd definitely like more clarification on this, and whether something similar could potentially happen with this seat. Thanks!

Spam

She is adorable :) I was wondering about her shoulders too, they look like they're getting close to being squished.

Mommy0608

I definitely don't have any concerns right now. I agree with Julie- her head will still go into the wings. However, I can see how it could be a problem when she is almost ready for the next slots. Hmmm...

I really hope someone has a kid who is close to the next slots up so we can see how the head and shoulders look in relation to the wings. I don't want to just "wait and see" if it's going to be an issue... if it IS, I'd like to have the option to return the seats.

I'm trying to think of someone I can borrow a kid from, but my closest friends with preschool age kids all think I'm a NUT about the whole car seat thing. I may try asking anyway, but really I don't know if any of them will fit the seat just the way I need them to.

This is my plea for everyone who has access to a CA to please try your kiddo in it and post a pic! Thanks. :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC