How do you/did you handle daycare kids & RF'ing??

wyomommyx3

As some of you may know, I'm going to have two different sets of kids that I'll be watching this fall (different days... about the same ages).

I'm a big ERF'er. DD is 3.5 and is still RF'ing, and if DS wasn't 40 lbs, he would be too.

BUT... both moms have their older girls FF'ing (one is two & is FF'ing harnessed... the other is 3.5 and is in a booster :eek:)

They will be using the same seat in my car, and I would like it RF'ing. How do I approach this with their parents?? Or do I just put them RF'ing and not say anything??

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
At two and three, I'd defer to parental choice.

ETA that I'm thinking of this from the parental perspective, not the CCP perspective. I would expect a CCP to honor my wishes as long as they were not completely unreasonable.

NannyMom

All children that ride in my car ride as safely as they can. I would make sure the parents are given info on ERF (and EH for that boostered child). And let them know that based on the safety info, their child will be riding as safe as they can in your car.

The first time I drive my DF's DD somewhere, I put her in RF. It had never been mentioned to DF that I'd do that, I just did. DF has never questioned me (even though she chose not to RF her DD). Maybe she knows it'd be a loosing battle ;)

wyomommyx3

At two and three, I'd defer to parental choice.

ETA that I'm thinking of this from the parental perspective, not the CCP perspective. I would expect a CCP to honor my wishes as long as they were not completely unreasonable.

And I understand that. I guess my concern is:

1) How do I tell my dd (same age/size) that she has to be RF'ing if A is not?
2) I am responsible for these children while they are in my care, and I have seen how A sits in her booster... she's not ready :(

I haven't talked to moms about this yet... just wanted to get some input first, b/c I tend to get a little passionate :eek:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Personally? I'd put it in RF and not say anything. Just act like it's normal. IF the parent objects, I'd be fine turning it FF. Odds are it will never come up.

emandbri

I don't do full time child care but do sometimes carpool with friends and I tell them upfront that kids under 2 will ride rear-facing and kids under 5 will be in a harness. Best of luck!

picklesmama

Hmmm, I say your car, your rules. In my opinion, it's along the same lines as saying that while in your home they will only eat healthy snacks and watch non-violent tv shows, even if they are allowed junk food and cartoons at home. You are not asking to do anything unsafe or unhealthy, why would they object? I personally have no problem with someone being more safe or more health-conscious than I am, but I would have a problem with the reverse, kwim? I'd just bring it up matter-of-factly while going over everything else about your childcare policies. You could even say it's for reasons of liability, that you want to be sure to take every precaution with their chlild's safety - how can they argue with that?

sunnyflower417

Re: How do you/did you handle daycare kids & RFing??

In my car kids ride as I say. But for day care kids IDK. I would for sure tell the parents of the 3.5 year old that you are going to harness him or her. I would not be comfortable driving around with a distraction like that.

wyomommyx3

Here's the other thing. They are both friends... it's not like it's licensed daycare. They need somebody to watch their kiddos & don't want a big facility... I stay home, so I'm helping out. (Yes, I get paid, but there are no contracts... formal rules... etc)

freqflyer

I would defer to your car, your rules and just not bring it up. I have a similar relationship with a friend of mine who is a SAHM and watches my son twice a week. Things are pretty relaxed between us and there is no contract. If she wanted to do something less safe then I do, I'd have an issue but as long as its "better" then how I do something I'm okay with it.

mum2two

So if you don't RF them does it mean you'll be re-installing carseats each day (and if they're Britax's switching latch connectors too??)...I guess if you're using your seats I'd go by your guidelines if using their seats FF (but definitely harness the 3 year old-yikes on the booster!)

Cryssy Jane

I run daycare and all my kiddos who can fit rf ride rf no matter what they ride in their parents car. I explain this upfront at interviews and explain to the children who are old enough. Currently I've got all but one rf and the ff 5 year old told me the other day she wishes she was 38 lbs instead of 40 so that she could ride backwards like everyone else.

wyomommyx3

I run daycare and all my kiddos who can fit rf ride rf no matter what they ride in their parents car. I explain this upfront at interviews and explain to the children who are old enough. Currently I've got all but one rf and the ff 5 year old told me the other day she wishes she was 38 lbs instead of 40 so that she could ride backwards like everyone else.

That's how my car would be set up... 4 RF'ers & my son FF'ing. (though he asked me tonight why he couldn't ride that way... hmmm Swedish seat?? :whistle: )

So if you don't RF them does it mean you'll be re-installing carseats each day (and if they're Britax's switching latch connectors too??)...I guess if you're using your seats I'd go by your guidelines if using their seats FF (but definitely harness the 3 year old-yikes on the booster!)

I have a SS1 that the babies will be sharing until they outgrow it. (one is 6 months, the other is 7 months, & they're never here at the same time) Mom has an extra EFTA that she is bringing over for the older ones to use (the two different moms are friends too :p) so I don't have to re-thread the harness or re-install seats. SO no matter what, the 3 year old will be harnessed, but since she is sharing a seat with the barely two year old (yesterday) I would rather leave it RF'ing. And I absolutely don't want to put seats in every day. Once they're all installed, that is where they are staying... even the SS1 is just staying in the car.

Cryssy Jane

I use all my seats. I have 3 rns (1 of each... 65, 80, xt), a britax marathon, and a chicco keyfit. I only have kiddos birth to five, so no immediate need for boosters. So for my 3 year old (30 lb peanut) I explained to her that it's safer to ride rf because she's a smart kiddo. The one time I had her seat FF she freaked out, major fit until I switched it. I also explained to the 5 year old how a harness is safer than just the seatbelt, and told her that sometimes the seatbelts may not work right and the harness would keep her all tucked in. Supposedly she now refuses to ride in dad's car (NBB) because she told him it wasn't safe like cryssy's car... lol...oops::whistle::

andre149

I tend to do a my car my rules approach unless parents object. I've never had a parent complain about me wanting to harness their child who's in a booster or RF a child though. I would install them RF and just tell the parents why to see what they say. At their ages I'd be ok with putting them FF if the parents really wanted it... but I doubt they will care.

monstah

So both of the children you will be watching can fit RF? Not just the 2 year old, but the boostered child too? Now I see. ;)

Just tell her your reasons for keeping the seat RF. That you insist on providing the utmost safety and that you can send her links if she is interested in learning more.

I watched a daycare child who was RF in my car and FF in his parents. They knew what was safest and that it wasn't an option in my car. "If it's a problem, then I can't watch him." They were 100% OK with me keeping him RF.

Just tell the parents your plans. That RF the younger one is not an option and you can't possibly install and uninstall the seat constantly. Especially when the older child can benefit from RF 500%.

Do you know how much they weigh?

NannyMom

Here's the other thing. They are both friends... it's not like it's licensed daycare. They need somebody to watch their kiddos & don't want a big facility... I stay home, so I'm helping out. (Yes, I get paid, but there are no contracts... formal rules... etc)

Well, in that case I'd just put them RF. If the Moms ask about it, you can share the safety info with them. But I'd guess since they're friends they know you keep your kids ERF.

wyomommyx3

So both of the children you will be watching can fit RF? Not just the 2 year old, but the boostered child too? Now I see. ;)

Do you know how much they weigh?

Yup... the 2 year old weighs about 25 lbs, the 3 year old weighs 30 (I'm seeing the need for a Radian or a MR in the near future :p).

BekahD

I go by my car my rules.:)

The only one I have let forward face before she outgrew her seat was the one that gets motion sickness and will projectile vomit while RFing. I know that sounds odd but her mom is my sister and when we were little she would do the same thing in the back seat of our old station wagon which was a rear facing bench seat. lol

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I''m all for ERFing. But for those who think a CCP should enforce "my car, my rules" -- would you be okay with that attitude in other areas? I wouldn't be. I wouldn't hire a CCP with that attitude.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC