Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

Car Seat from the 80's??

I was looking at some old pictures of DH the other day (from our wedding slideshow) and I found this one.

Is that a car seat?? It looks like harness slots at the top, but I wasn't sure. I told DH that I had a picture of him in a carseat and he just laughed at me

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Ambassador - CPS Technician

Re: Car Seat from the 80's??

It does look like an old car seat. May classic seats would know which one. The car seat pictorial is difficult to use for identifying seats that age since most of them are drawings rather than pictures.
    ~Danielle
    RNC-MNN, BSN
    CPST, SN Trained

We've got some good pictures of my boyfriend's carseat and his brother's carseat (from 1984 and 1989.)
    Scary looking things...
    Huge improvements between '84 and '89, though. At the time, they were the best things on the market. Their mom was fanatical about carseat safety after her sister jumped out of the car on the highway (age 4?) but amazingly survived.

I'll see if I can get those pics uploaded...
    I bet my grandmother would have a pic of her youngest two's seats, also from the '80's. There may be a few of mine in there as well.
    Jonah 4/11/07 Avery 3/25/10 Noralee 10/14/11
    And my man from dream land, Sam
    RSTV, Coccoro, 2 Titans, Marathon, MyRide, Apt40, R100
    We do it in a Yaris!

I believe it's a Century of some kind? There must have been a different version in Canada. It is the same shell as the seat that is the cover of my album with different padding.

Senior Community Member 2BunniesMommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by classicseats View Post
    I believe it's a Century of some kind? There must have been a different version in Canada. It is the same shell as the seat that is the cover of my album with different padding.
    Really? Wow! I thought it looked like that seat you showed, but wasn't sure! My nephew had that seat and I remember riding in it whenever my sister would let me. Probably just sitting on it, not strapped in or anything, but that is a whole 'nother issue! Feels good to know that I was almost right (as in, "that looks like Chris's seat" not knowing it was a Century)

Here is a pic... I can't get the padding off so you will have to use your imagination.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The picture is from around '82, but they probably bought it in '78 for his older brother. If only his parents still had it, I could have some fun with that!

Heather ~ CRST ~ mom to...
    S ~ Harmony nbb, K ~ Parkway SG
    M ~ Radian XTSL, S ~ Fllo
    T ~ June 4, 2016 ~ Boulevard G4.1

Quote Originally Posted by featherhead View Post
    The picture is from around '82, but they probably bought it in '78 for his older brother. If only his parents still had it, I could have some fun with that!
    I think that style shell came out in 77 or 78? Not positive.

Wow! Thats crazy!
    Abbi, mama to three girls! Riding in our 06 Ford Freestyle.
    Nadia Grace (11/06) - Graco Turbo Safety Surround
    Zoe Mae (12/09) - Recaro Prosport
    Matilda Rosalee (01/12) - RFing MA70