spin off...using harness straps to carry seat as a backpack?

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
I've heard a couple people say that using the harness straps to carry the seat like a backpack is okay to do.

The instructor for my CPST course told me that's how she carries her seats when they travel (a MA and a RA). I thought it was kind of odd at the time...

Will that not cause any damage to the straps? :confused:

ADS

skipspin

I mentioned carrying the Radian by it's harness straps because it is allowed specifically IN the manual. I can find the quote and edit this with it in a few... seat is in the car and DH has it on a lift fixing a joint :)

I would not suggest it across the board, but for the Radian it is okay!

ETA: Thanks Dillipop. I never got to my manual last night!

Last edited:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Britax used to have a warning on their website about carrying the restraint by the harness. I can't find it! :( Sorry!

I will keep looking!

Dillipop

Radian manual page #9, "Restraint may be carried by the red carry strap (fig. 1), the plastic side (fig 2), or by the shoulder harness strap (fig 3)." Right above this in red it states "WARNING: Do not carry restraint by harness adjuster strap (see diagram, page 3). This can damage the mechanism and the webbing."

Britax marathon manual page 3 "Never use the adjuster strap to lift or carry this child restraint. Doing so could cause damage to the harness adjuster and webbing. Always carry this child restrain by the shell or tether straps."

The marathon instructions are a little vague about carrying by the harness straps themselves. It does not expressly say that you can or can not use them to carry the seat, just that you can not use the adjuster strap. I guess you can infer that you can not carry it by the harness because it suggests carrying by the shell or tether straps. I really wish the britax manual were a bit clearer in important things like this and the rfing height limits and such!

jamwith3bugs

I've heard a couple people say that using the harness straps to carry the seat like a backpack is okay to do.

The instructor for my CPST course told me that's how she carries her seats when they travel (a MA and a RA). I thought it was kind of odd at the time...

Will that not cause any damage to the straps? :confused:

I just got my Radian and it says you CAN'T carry it by the the straps - only can carry it by the red carry strap or the shoulder strap that is sold separately by Sunshine kids.

gobsmacked

I tried it once just around the house for a couple of minutes and the straps cut into my shoulders and cut off the circulation to my arms. This was with a Marathon.

Splash

I've looped the d-ring around the metal bar in the back of the seat and clipped the tether to it, then used the tether to carry it as a backpack. I'll never do it again, but I did do it once.

jamwith3bugs

Radian manual page #9, "Restraint may be carried by the red carry strap (fig. 1), the plastic side (fig 2), or by the shoulder harness strap (fig 3)." Right above this in red it states "WARNING: Do not carry restraint by harness adjuster strap (see diagram, page 3). This can damage the mechanism and the webbing."

Britax marathon manual page 3 "Never use the adjuster strap to lift or carry this child restraint. Doing so could cause damage to the harness adjuster and webbing. Always carry this child restrain by the shell or tether straps."

The marathon instructions are a little vague about carrying by the harness straps themselves. It does not expressly say that you can or can not use them to carry the seat, just that you can not use the adjuster strap. I guess you can infer that you can not carry it by the harness because it suggests carrying by the shell or tether straps. I really wish the britax manual were a bit clearer in important things like this and the rfing height limits and such!

Just to clarify - the SHOULDER HARNESS STRAP ( pg 9 radian manual) is the strap that does NOT come with the seat and has to be purchased separately? Just wanted to be sure.

Dillipop

Just to clarify - the SHOULDER HARNESS STRAP ( pg 9 radian manual) is the strap that does NOT come with the seat and has to be purchased separately? Just wanted to be sure.

Nope. That is not what is in my manual. In my manual it shows a picture of a woman carrying the seat by the child's harness straps as they come out of the back of the seat.

HOWEVER: I just checked the online manual and they have changed it since my seat was manufactured. It is no longer allowed and they show the optional strap instead. The new seats can be carried by the red strap, the plastic sides or the luggage like strap. My older seat does not have webbing for a strap to attach to like the new ones.

I would call sunshine kids to see if the seat should come with the strap or not. And to find out where to buy it if it is not supposed to be sold with the seat.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC