A Scenera is ok right?

chloebeansmom

We are looking for an affordable car seat to buy for our 2 moms' cars for DD to use when she's with them.
She is with MIL 3 days a week and drives about 15 minutes per day with her and sometimes on the weekends. It is all back road driving, no highway. (Right now she is still in her SS1 in MIL's car but hates it)

She rides in my mom's car about twice a week, highway and not.

In our cars she has a Radian 65 and a Priori. She is a very tiny little girl. She is 17 months, about 19 pounds and 29 inches long.

I know it sounds totally snobby of me but after paying $200+ for our at home car seats I almost feel guilty buying one that is less than $60.

But they are ok for part time seats right?

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Absolutely! :thumbsup: We have no hard data proving that one seat is any better/safer than another. All we know for sure is that *all* seats (including the Scenera ;)) that carry the FMVSS (or CMVSS in Canada) safety mark have passed crash testing and therefore deemed safe to carry our children in. More expensive seats may have better comfort or ease of use features or fit children longer, but we don't *know* that they're any safer than the less expensive ones. :)

Maedze

Certainly. Rearfacing is so very much safer than forward facing that the Scenera is an excellent seat for just this very situation.

As a thought, if you want to spend a *little* bit more and get a slightly nicer product, you can get the Safety First Avenue at Kmart. It has EPS foam in the shell (the Scenera does not) and more comfortable, padded covers. Although it's also a 40 pound seat, because it has a tall shell and higher top harness slots, it will last a lot longer than a Scenera. They retail for 80 dollars.

If you'd rather go with the Scenera though, that's fine :)

Jonah Baby

A seat is safe if it is used correctly.
The $200 or so you spent on your other seats really just bought your children "luxury" and bought you an ease-of-use. (Although I find some expensive seats more complicated to use than the inexpensive...)
Scenera's are awesome all-around good, inexpensive seat choices. We, in fact, just got a hold of another one. I like them for their simplicity at a low cost - the grandparents know how to use them without much instruction. To me, that does make them have some safety advantage. If you dropped off your expensive seat with a grandparent, what is the chance that they would understand how to use it correctly? I am reassured that you, being a member of car-seat.org, would never simply "drop off the seat" without giving instructions, etc., but some people just don't think to do so....
Don't feel guilty about buying a Scenera. You may be doing your children a favor by saving $150 otherwise spent towards another seat.

I also like Maezde's suggestion.

chloebeansmom

Thanks for the answers. I know I seem a little paranoid, I'm just car seat obsessed lol. Jonah baby- you're right, i'm really not the type to drop off a seat without mega-instruction. And our family knows that DD will be RF'd for a very long time to come. I think I will get the Sceneras and feel confident in my choice.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
They also have the Avenue for $69.

A seat is safe if it is used correctly.
The $200 or so you spent on your other seats really just bought your children "luxury" and bought you an ease-of-use.

I am fine with a Scenera or an Avenue and I'm not knocking them. But no, there are more differences between a Marathon and a Scenera than "luxury" -- there's the ability to tether rear-facing and a higher harness weight limit, and in the case of the Scenera, EPS foam.

chloebeansmom

there's the ability to tether rear-facing and a higher harness weight limit.

I totally agree with this which is why the car seat in my car, where she does the vast majority of her riding (at least 1.5 hr/weekday all highway). Is a radian and is tethered RFing. I'll talk to DH today about Scenera vs. Avenue and see what he thinks as well. These will be very part time seats.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
All the seats are safe -- but I admit that I like the Avenue much better than the Scenera. I would personally find the extra $32 per seat worth it.

Mama Jo

I am fine with a Scenera or an Avenue and I'm not knocking them. But no, there are more differences between a Marathon and a Scenera than "luxury" -- there's the ability to tether rear-facing and a higher harness weight limit, and in the case of the Scenera, EPS foam.

In addition, 'ease of install' is not something to discount either. If a seat is tricky to install properly, it leads to a higher chance of misuse. In the case of the scenera, there are some cars where the rear facing install can be pretty tricky.

I'd also go for the Avenue over the Scenera. Especially since you say you want to rear face as long as possible. The shell of the Avenue is taller and will buy you more time rear facing, even if it's just a backup or part time seat. Most kids grow out of the Scenera rear facing by height way before weight.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
There is no shame in using a Scenera -- correct use is the ultimate deciding factor.

However, correct use of a seat with energy absorbing foam is safer than correct use if a seat without.

chloebeansmom

OK I talked to DH and we'll be going with the Avenue. The EPS foam is what made the decision. I ordered one today and will order another one at the end of the week. Thanks for all of the input. I love this site so much and love the fact that I've fond a community of ERFers.:D

Erika Ruth

we are using the Scenera as our primary seat for our 22lbs 22 month old RF. She's got tons of room. I'll move her to the Marathon once she's outgrown it, and move my daughter in the Marathon to the Nautilus, and my daughter in the Nautilus to some other booster than the compass... I love how the compass folds, but it is hard to get positioned right on her thighs.

So, yes, we went from a Marathon to a Scenera as she's light, and as she gets heavier, I'll be able to tether her in the Marathon and keep her RF longer... *but that is down the road!** and the Scenera is working just fine for us!

Erika

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC