Recaro Young Sport. Tether...yay or nay?

fyrfightermomma

My kids are staying with my parents next weekend while we have an anniversary vacation alone! :)

My parents van (2000 Dodge Caravan) does not have top tethers, nor do they have any intention on getting some added (not even sure if you can).

Prior to this my oldest has always been RFing when she stayed with them so it wasn't an issue. But now she's forward facing.

Does the Recaro Young Sport require a top tether? Would you feel comfortable even using a seat that heavy without one? (seat does have shoulder belt, but only locks at the latchplate, not the retractor)

I do have a Nautilus I could steal from hubbys car which is lighter and a MA sitting in the basement collecting dust. I got rid of all my other spare seats!

Which would you choose?

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Yeah, you can get top tethers added to that van. But not by next weekend :D. I'd be fine without a tether with the RYS IF the install is solid. If you get a much more solid install with another seat, then I'd use that one instead. Normally I'm all pro-top tether, but with a child that light in a van with so much room for safe head excursion, I think it's less critical, personally. And a top tether is never required when using that seat, anyway, so we know it must perform fairly well no matter what :)

fyrfightermomma

Yeah, you can get top tethers added to that van. But not by next weekend :D. I'd be fine without a tether with the RYS IF the install is solid. If you get a much more solid install with another seat, then I'd use that one instead. Normally I'm all pro-top tether, but with a child that light in a van with so much room for safe head excursion, I think it's less critical, personally. And a top tether is never required when using that seat, anyway, so we know it must perform fairly well no matter what :)

Sounds good. Thanks! That seat installs rock solid everywhere (and I hvae the same van but newer) so it shouldn't be an issue. I just never can remember if/what seats "require" a tether, but I think they are all higher weights right?

It does require it for booster mode though right? So in the future she couldn't use it as a booster in their car or I'd force them to get tethers (or just take the darn car myself and do it)

capeKO71

Yeah - also - if you can install it with a shoulder belt (vs. lap only), I think it will really act similar to a top tether with head excursion because the shoulder belt comes up across the top of the seat and exits by the child's head vs. being down low and exiting through the same hole as the lap portion of the belt... :)

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
In lieu of making someone else add a TA to their car, if the 3rd row seats are unoccupied, you can use the seatbelt in the position behind the RYSport as a TA.

Sometimes it's acceptable to hook onto the metal buckle without buckling, sometimes it's preferable to buckle (and lock) the seatbelt so that the tether is hooked onto the webbing of the lap belt portion.

We have had other threads about this in which others have shared pictures. I cannot copy/paste, though, via my older version iPhone (can't update it 'til my laptop is fixed) so I won't be doing a search.

I think Heather's site might also have a page with info on this???

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
No, top tether's not required for the YS in booster mode, either. :) (only seats that require it are FR at 65, Regent at 50, and special needs seats and vests that don't meet the regular FMVSS 213 requirement). Dumb question, do you have the manual for your seat? It would say :eek:

fyrfightermomma

No, top tether's not required for the YS in booster mode, either. :) (only seats that require it are FR at 65, Regent at 50, and special needs seats and vests that don't meet the regular FMVSS 213 requirement). Dumb question, do you have the manual for your seat? It would say :eek:

I am guilty. I don't have it. Well I do. But I have no clue where it is. I took it outside with me when I first bought the seat to install it. Never saw the thing again. I keep meaning to get a new one but never get around to it and the download feature at Recaro never works for me. The seat hasn't been out of that car since we got it, so I never needed the manual after I installed it. So yes, I'm naughty :whistle:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC