Becoming a CPS Tech

U

Unregistered

A CPS tech asked me if I would be interested in becoming a CPS tech. I've been giving it some thought. I can see a lot of benefits to doing it, but I was wondering if there is any financial compensation for a tech's time since the techs in my area don't charge parents for checking their car seats.

ADS

Mommy0608

Generally there is no compensation for doing car seat checks. Once in a while you might get a perk from a Safe Kids check event (t-shirt, gift card, etc.) but there is no formal payment usually.

I do private and public checks and don't get paid with money. I get paid with the intrinsic benefit of knowing that I've helped more children ride safely. :thumbsup:

Glad to hear that you're considering the CPST course. :)

Pixels

Some techs do it as a part of their regular job, for example someone may be a work at a hospital, and as part of their regular duties, check carseats. Or a police officer, firefighter, or professional EMS (Emergency Medical Service) worker. I think those are the most common professions where people are techs and get paid to do carseat checks as part of their regular job.

As a volunteer, I don't get compensated for my time or my gas to get to check events (about 45 minutes to an hour from me, depending on traffic). I think I can take something at least for my mileage when I itemize deductions on my taxes. I don't know if I can take anything for my time. I haven't looked into it yet. Either way, it will not add up to a whole lot.

I do enjoy working checks very much. Sometimes parents come in who are just there for the reduced-price seat. Sometimes they want their seats installed for them as an installation service, but aren't interested in learning. Those are the ones that aren't very rewarding. Sometimes parents come in because they truely can't afford a seat, but want to do the right thing for their child. Or they come in because they've heard the statistic that 4 out of 5 seats are installed incorrectly, and they've read the manual and really want to do the right thing, but they want to get checked. Those are the ones that are the most rewarding.

Mommy0608

Some techs do it as a part of their regular job, for example someone may be a work at a hospital, and as part of their regular duties, check carseats. Or a police officer, firefighter, or professional EMS (Emergency Medical Service) worker. I think those are the most common professions where people are techs and get paid to do carseat checks as part of their regular job.

As a volunteer, I don't get compensated for my time or my gas to get to check events (about 45 minutes to an hour from me, depending on traffic). I think I can take something at least for my mileage when I itemize deductions on my taxes. I don't know if I can take anything for my time. I haven't looked into it yet. Either way, it will not add up to a whole lot.

I do enjoy working checks very much. Sometimes parents come in who are just there for the reduced-price seat. Sometimes they want their seats installed for them as an installation service, but aren't interested in learning. Those are the ones that aren't very rewarding. Sometimes parents come in because they truely can't afford a seat, but want to do the right thing for their child. Or they come in because they've heard the statistic that 4 out of 5 seats are installed incorrectly, and they've read the manual and really want to do the right thing, but they want to get checked. Those are the ones that are the most rewarding.

:yeahthat:

...and sometimes you get the people who bring a bucket of freshly harvested cucumbers to the seat check event as a thank you because they can't afford a financial donation.

Pixels

:yeahthat:

...and sometimes you get the people who bring a bucket of freshly harvested cucumbers to the seat check event as a thank you because they can't afford a financial donation.

Now that's ... different. But at least you know they cared. I got a thank-you email this weekend. :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC