You really do need extra seats!

zeo2ski

Last week I was cooking dinner thinking about that post about this site turning someone into a gear junkie and thinking "I'm glad I don't need spare seats just to have spares" in my situation and my DH calls. He was out on a job, got out HOURS early and came upon a lady broken down on the highway, and it was our former neighbor/landlord's sister. So DH helps her get a tow and everything but meanwhile she had been on her way back to pick up her 4 kids from her sister--who had those 4 plus her own 2 all at the grandpa's pond (no house there). So now neighbor and 6 kids are stranded with a small sedan and only 2 HBBs. So DH told neighbor I'd come and bring seats:D With the seats I had, there was the potential to make it work IF everybody fit. Then as I'm getting ready to load up the seats and head over, she calls back and her other friend was coming to take neighbors 2 kids (along with her car and HBBs) to an important karate event they were supposed to be at. So now there were only 4 kids (plus my 2) but the HBBs were out of the mix.
I brought the scale.

DS2 was 21.5 lbs so he got the snugride22 with more than 1" over his head.Phew!

Kid 3 is 5.5 and weighed 75 lbs. Thank goodness I had a RN! He had maybe an inch of harness height to spare. Phew!

Kid 2 is 7y5m and was 64 lbs. She fit with a smidge of harness room left in the Boulevard! I wasn't totally shocked until I realized just how old she is (I only see these kids every few months, and in my head, she's still 5 lol). Phew!

Kid 1 is 12 or 13. No seat.

Kid 4 is 2 weeks away from turning 4 and was 37 lbs so she got the other BLVD.

Then my DS1 RF'd in the brand new MyRide which I was about to return.

So everybody fit, and most of them just BARELY. I did mess up a little though; I could have RF'd kid 4 in the MyRide and DS1 could have RF'd in the BLVD (34.5 lbs and CLOSE to the height limit) because that way I could have tethered all the FFers. As it was, the 7 year old in the BLVD wound up untethered because of where she was, which I realized later she didn't NEED to be there but that's just where it wound up because I was seeing if she'd even fit in the seat--did I mention that the minute I got to the pond it downpoured with thunder and lightning? LOL it was pretty hurried...

Anyway, just wanted to share that a 75 lb child can fit in the RN by height, and a 64 lb (7+ y.o.!!) child can fit in the BLVD by height. And a 15 mos old in the SR22 lol.

ADS

myliljunebugs

See, something like that is the EXACT reason I wish I had a seat with rear facing capabilities. You just never know when there will be a need. That is awesome that you were able to help out like that!

Misty-Bug

extra seats are good. Good enough that I want ANOTHER one. Even though my son is FFing I still have the RFing boot for the RN in the storage area of my car.

for future reference you can put the RN in the spot that doesn't have a tether and the other seat where the RN was. The RN has good crash test performance and the same head excursion outcome tethered as not tethered.

zeo2ski

for future reference you can put the RN in the spot that doesn't have a tether and the other seat where the RN was. The RN has good crash test performance and the same head excursion outcome tethered as not tethered.

Yup that was my first thought but the RN doesn't install well in the other seat, although I could have done a 3 across the 3rd row...but that takes a bit of fighting! Next time...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Cool!

Now, um, tell me why I need ELEVEN extra seats. Most of which don't even fit in my car. I want to tell my husband. :whistle:

zeo2ski

:ROTFLMAO:

Well because you just never know--you may happen upon a group of stranded in the rain daycare children who have been sent a bus to be picked up in but they have no car seats for the tots. Hehe. Could happen, that's actually something that happened at a daycare I worked at. But yeah, 11... At least I have less CRs than backseat positions in my vehicle! AND I only bought each one when another was outgrown (all for RFing though) AND I have sold or gave away 3 seats that I felt I would not get any more significant use out of. But I'm currently shopping for another infant seat :eek:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC