need seat for aunts car, booster?

FrogJuice

My sister will be taking the kids to school and home this year. I will be buying and booster for DD1 who is 8yo and 43lbs. But what about DD2 she will be 6 in october and is 37lbs.

A few of my friends and sister keep telling me to stop making a fuss about her not being 40lbs and just get a booster. I can't seem to make myself comfortable with this.

She will be riding in it for 5-10min to school and another 5-10 back home, on all school days. My sister drives a 1997 Chevy Malibu.

Should I buy a booster and call it good or should I get a harnessed seat? Suggestions on seats/boosters would be appreciated I would like to keep it under $100 but could probably do $150.

p.s my sister has been in a lot of car accidents that have been ruled her fault.

ADS

myliljunebugs

Keeping it under $100 you could find an Apex to keep her harnessed. What is her torso height? Some of the 40lb weight limit boosters might work, but you need to make sure she fits by height also. I would probably have no problem with her in a GOOD booster. A nice highback and maybe lock the seatbelt?

FrogJuice

Last time I check her torso she was around 14-15in. I honestly really have no love for the apex. which I suppose doesn't really matter since it won't be in my car. I also don't know if I can trust my sister to the lock the seat belt each time she puts my daughter in the car. I finally just got her to get a high back booster for her son, who is riding in it in the FRONT SEAT!

Qarin

I feel that small 6 year olds are a good reason why many boosters start at 30lbs, and I would feel fine with my DD at that size sitting in one designed for smaller booster riders- the Graco Turbobooster fits shy-of-40lb kids quite well.

But I would, ah... well, I think between not trusting your sister to do as you ask (though I don't think a 6yo generally would need the belt locked), and having been in "a lot" of at fault accidents... well, I'm afraid the question I would be pondering wouldn't be between a booster seat and a harnessed seat for my 6 year old. Do you have any other transportation options for your kids?

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
If she will still fit in the Chase height wise, and it sounds like she would, it woudl be a good option until she hit 40 lbs. Problem is that when she does hit 40 lbs you would need to replace it. It can be used in booster mode but really does not make a good booster. You might not love the Apex but it would last longer.

As far as booster vs no booster, I'd do what you are comfortable with. When school starts she will be a bit heavier and just a smidge away from 6 so a booster is not a bad option if she can sit properly. Since it's an older vehicle, I'd get a booster with good sip if you do go the booster route.

FrogJuice

thanks for all the help I will be doing some booster shopping I think.

I unfortunately don't have any other transportation options, we just moved and have to change schools the past school we went to the bus was able to pick them up. This time were not so lucky. I do daycare and don't have a van big enough to transport all the children, not to mention how time consuming it would be to buckle all the little ones up just to take my two to school.

Amaris

Well, I would ask myself if I trust her to properly use and tighten a 5pt harness every time, or do I trust her more to use a booster correctly. Since it seems the accidents have mostly been her fault I would definitely want my child in the seat that was going to be used properly. Also, if you went with a booster could the older child remember to lock the seatbelt for the younger one?

FrogJuice

I was also thinking I would have DD1 check her, I will also go over it with my sister. does anyone have any good booster recommendations? We have a turbo booster for DD1 in my van but I was planning on giving that to my sister for her car and was interested in really looking around for maybe something else.

myliljunebugs

Since she is on the smaller side a turbo would probably be fine, but I really like the depth of the Vivo. Not sure how easy she would find it to buckle herself though. My mom has a hard time with DD's, I have to do it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC