2008 Porsche Targa?

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
Hey everyone.
I have a client with a 2008 Porsche Targa 4S and a child who is 3 years and 30lbs. This is NOT their primary vehicle, however they would like to be able to transport their child.

I'm on vacation, so I don't have my LATCH manual, and I haven't actually seen the car, but my boss (who is a car seat nut, but not Tech) gave me a bit of the rundown:

*back of the vehicle is very sloped, so seats are often too tall. The Radian hits the roof of the car.

*The seats are apparently a hard-mold with a velcro-on cushion (?) for comfort, so the seat has to fit within the passenger seat. (can't be too wide) The Nautilus is apparently too wide to fit, as well as probably too tall.

*according to my boss it has a rear top-tether and LATCH in the front seat (?!?) but no LATCH in the rear seat.

I have suggested the following:
*A Ride Safer Travel Vest provided there is ACTUALLY a top tether in the rear seat.
*An old PW that is rated to 30 lbs. (however, clearly not ideal) but this may be too tall as well.
*A properly installed Forward-Facing 5 pt. harness in the front seat with the front passenger seat pushed all the way back.
*An airbag turn off switch?

The Mom has spoken with Britax about their special seat for Porsches which deactivates the airbag. Is anyone familiar with this seat? Do they still make that? Dad is not a fan of having the child-restraint in the front seat because he would like Mom to be able to ride with them at the same time. I suggested that Mom ride in the back seat if the only safe option was to put the child in the front seat. I was very specific that the child was too small for a no-back BPB and that a BPB of ANY Type CANNOT be used in the front-seat.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or any knowledge of the car?
Thanks
--Torey

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
that a BPB of ANY Type CANNOT be used in the front-seat.

Anyone have any suggestions? Or any knowledge of the car?
Thanks
--Torey

i'm sorry, I don't have any recs beyond what you have already thought of, but this statement is simply untrue. In some situations, it may in fact be the best choice, to put a child in a BPB in the front seat of a vehicle. now, it does not sound like THIS child in this car situation is one of those times, I just wanted to be sure you weren't across the board saying BPB's can not be used in front seats ever, because they certainly can, although generally as a last resort/no good choices kind of thing.

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
i'm sorry, I don't have any recs beyond what you have already thought of, but this statement is simply untrue. In some situations, it may in fact be the best choice, to put a child in a BPB in the front seat of a vehicle. now, it does not sound like THIS child in this car situation is one of those times, I just wanted to be sure you weren't across the board saying BPB's can not be used in front seats ever, because they certainly can, although generally as a last resort/no good choices kind of thing.

Really? I thought I remembered from my class that BPBs were prohibited in the front seat, same as rear-facing seats. I thought the concern was that a child could move towards the airbag by leaning over, etc. and be out of position, dangerously close to the airbag in a collision. I don't have my manual with me, so I could be completely wrong, but can someone else verify for me? It's not that I think you're wrong, but I just want to be sure of the official recommendation.

Thanks
--Torey

myliljunebugs

I hope she is right :( I just gave a backless booster to a friend because occasionally she has 2 8 year olds and puts one in the front of her car. The seatbelt stalk is wonky so she puts them in a booster to fit the belt. No airbags in her car. (And she won't put the harnessed 3 year old up there)

Maedze

Hi Torey,

There is no blanket prohibition against a belt positioning booster in the front seat , the way there is with a rear facing seat. While it's not ideal, it's not forbidden either. Of course, I would never recommend putting a 30 pound three year old in any booster, particularly in the front seat.

Have you considered a Graco Cargo in the rear seat? It's fairly narrow and a bit shorter, with fewer install quirks, than the Radian. If it won't fit back there, I would use it in the front seat and put mom in the back. I would not consider a booster.

The RSTV will not work because the child is too light and too small; the small size has a 35 lb minimum and tends not to fit even a child of that size well.

MomToGupCPST

Senior Community Member
Thanks everyone for the clarification.

I will not be recommending a BPB at all for this child, because he is young and small.

Thanks for the suggestions about the RSTV and the Cargo. I will look into the Cargo.
Thanks
--Torey

niccig

An Avenue or an Uptown?

I have an Uptown, and my DS was 3 and 30lbs, he's also short for his age. The Uptown still fits at 4.5 yo, and will fit for another 6-9 months. It doesn't have a high base, so it's shorter than other seats, but the slots are high. It's also pretty narrow. I use it on a plane and I can get the arm rests down...

The Radian hits the back window while FF?

Sounds like finding a short and narrow 5 pt harness is the best/only option for this car.

How tall is mom? From what I understand, the Britax seat is still made. Can mom fit in the tiny seat behind the front passenger seat? I suspect not though. It's more of a jump seat than a real seat.

Joh

Are you certain there's no rear top tether in the back? If you haven't already, google for info on that specific model. DH has a 2003 Porsche C4S, and it does have a rear top tether, but its VERY well hidden - there's a flap in the carpet on the rear shelf and the tether point is under there. We thought it didnt exist, and ended up taking it to our porsche mechanic, who knew where to look and found it! He was going to retrofit one for us.

We have a Britax Blvd FF in the rear, for occasional use. Not sure if the 30lb 3 year old would still fit in that seat though.

kdgrayson

I would check with a Porsche dealer and check the Porsche website. Search child seat at the USA Porsche site and look for 1st Gen 997 series(which a 2008 911 would be there are pictures of the various seats that they sell (not sure if they are Britax clones or not). There are install kits (seat inserts/ air bag switches) for specific install situations. There is no mention that any of the seats automatically deactivate the front airbags. They do say that for any child over 27kg the airbag needs to be switched off.

The front facing seats that they sell are listed as being able to be used in front or back seats. Interestingly, the rear facing infant seat is front seat use only. Also note the fine print that not all accesories are in all markets (hence checking with a dealer also). I am sure that these Porsche seats are not cheap, but if one can afford a new (or nearly so) Porsche...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC