How old was your child when they moved to a booster full time....

When did you move your child to a booster full time?

• I have a girl and she moved before the age of 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a girl and she moved between 3 and 4

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have a girl and she moved between 4 and 5

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • I have a girl and she moved between 5 and 6

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • I have a girl and she was older than 6

Votes: 22 37.3%
  • I have a boy and he was before the age of 3

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I have a boy and he was between 3 and 4

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I have a boy and he was between of 4 and 5

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have a boy and he was between 5 and 6

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have a boy and he was older than 6

Votes: 24 40.7%

• Total voters

emandbri

in the parkway slideguard thread folks were talking about how it would be annoying to use the slideguard for older girls with skirts and dresses. I've been wondering this myself. I have no problem keeping Benjamin in a harness but will I want to move Elizabeth earlier because of the dress and skirt issue?

Maybe I'll just put her in pants more by then? or bike shorts under skirts and dresses. Or honestly I can seat 8 in my van I could put a booster and a harness in the car and put her in the booster when she wears a dress! :D

So let's do a poll, let's see if people moved girls to boosters earlier than boys.

Please note I'm putting 2 and 3 in the poll because there are folks on the board who have kids old enough that putting a 2 or 3 year old in a booster would have been their only option. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND PUTTING A 2 or 3 YEAR OLD IN A BOOSTER!

You can vote for more than one answer. I know the poll will be slightly messed up if people have two kids who moved to a booster at the same age but there is nothing I can do about that.

Oh and here are my answers
Jacob was between 4 and 5
Daniel between 5 and 6
and I voted over 6 for Benjamin since he will be 6 in 3 weeks and I don't plan to move him to a booster in those 3 weeks!

ADS

Lea_Ontario

I do not have a child in a booster yet, but Boo is my oldest and he is just a month shy of being 7yo now, in a 5-pt harness still.

I imagine he'll move to a booster full time sometime in the next year though.

zactayaus

I voted "girl over 6" dd was 7 1/2 when she went full time.

I should have also voted "boy over 6" because ds2 is still harnessed but didn't think to until after I clicked submit.:eek:

Maggie

I have a girl and she moved between 5 and 6.

She was too tall for both HWH seats that we had (Nautilus and Apex) and we had NO money to buy another.

my2kidsSafe

My dd is 5.5 and still harnessed.

Not trying to start anything, but I find it a little odd though that you are thinking of boostering her early, but at the same time you are having an extremely hard time turning her ff.

AtTheSouthDam

I voted between 5 and 6 for my daughter since she is almost full time and will be shortly before her 6th birthday. I see the skirt issue as a bonus as that is all my daughter wears but realistically it is because she is a big five year old :)

Qarin

Not trying to start anything, but I find it a little odd though that you are thinking of boostering her early, but at the same time you are having an extremely hard time turning her ff.

RFing is very clearly a larger safety boon than FF harnessing vs boostering- I don't think she's talking about putting her DD in a booster early (before she can safely sit in one, by size and behavior), just, perhaps, earlier than she will end up doing so for her youngest son.

I put "girl and older than 6", since my 7.5yo is not yet in a booster full-time; she could be, but she loves her Nautilus and its harness, and does not want to switch to a booster (or booster mode on the Nautilus, which I would object to, anyway). I have a feeling that DD2 will be younger than DD1, when she switches to booster full time, but may still be 6+ if DD1 ever gives up her Nautilus to hand down.

I'm the one who brought up skirts and the PWSG- I don't really have many problems with skirts on my kids- most of them are loose enough to easily just pull up to go above the hip straps and stay nicely out of the way- but they're also both young enough to not yet be embarrassed by pulling their dresses up this way. It's a lot more annoying with stiffer, straighter skirts, but they haven't got many- when DD1 has worn one, she's sat in a booster in another seating position in our van, since we both have spare boosters and spare seating positions.

oxeye

My dd is 5.5 and still harnessed.

I can understand it. As a previous poster mentioned, the drop down in safety switching from RF to FF is much higher than the drop you get switching from harnessed to booster. In Sweden, kids go from RF directly into a booster. Their reasoning is that there are higher neck loads on a FF harnessed child than on a boostered child.

I kept DD1 RF'ing to the limit of her seat (33 pounds at the time) and she turned at 3.5 years old. I had a very hard time turning her and considered importing a seat from Sweden. She is nearly 6 now and while only 37-38 pounds, I am debating putting her in a booster when she reaches 40 pounds since she is definitely mature enough to sit properly now. For a child old enough and big enough for a booster, it could be safer - we really just don't know. It's not a black and white issue like switching from RF to FF is.

NVMBR02

I didn't vote but the plan is to move dd to a booster when the baby is ready to move from the infant seat. DD should be about 6 1/2 then. I may change my mind but I think she will be ready and since she is now 38ish pounds I hope she will be 40 pounds or so then.

MustangMama

I voted girl over 6 because Sam will be 6 in the next couple months and we have not even decided which booster we want yet nor have we ordered it. I think I am holding out for the Clek Oobr :)

She will be in her Nautilus until she reaches the next slot though, and she just passed the 3rd one BARELY so my real vote is "I have a girl and she will be 23 before she gets to sit in a booster". :thumbsup:

I need to water her more often so she will grow :p

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i dont have a kid ina booster full time yet. dd is almost 5 and will be in her nauti at least another year, probably more. Ds will still probably be able to Rf at 6.

jdubsm

I voted girl over 6. One of my twins wanted to move from her Regent into her Parkway. Since she was 7yr3mos and has the maturity to sit correctly, I moved her to the booster. She's 48lbs. Her twin sister moved 3 months later to the Parkway at 42lbs but decided last week she wanted back in her Regent. She likes it better so she's staying in it for a while longer which I feel better about given her size. My 5 1/2 yr old boy is still harnessed in his Regent.

Suzibeck

My oldest was 3, but that was back when all harnesses stopped at 40# and she was 3 when she hit 40#.

My second was 5, nearly 6 I think. She was having issues with feeling an urgency to pee and the harness worsened that. She got to the point where she would scream the entire drive and I was losing my sanity, as was she.

My third was past 6. She is 7 now and mostly in a booster but we still use a harness for long drives. She is still hovering at or just below 40# but she sits great in a booster most of the time and is tall enough to fit well.

ETA: Mine are all girls

U

Unregistered1

A turned 6 in May and is still in the GN. After the GN she will either go into the Recaro Vivo or the Parkway SG.

I honestly do not find it cumbersome to buckle her in a skirt or dress. Most of her skirts have biker-shorts type bloomers built in under them, I like to buy this kind for her because she's so active. When they don't, we just buckle around the dress so that nothing shows. It might be more difficult if she wore a lot of long skirts/dresses (thinking of a friend who wears these for her religion) but the kinds of dresses A wears are very easy to buckle around.

Michael was just 6 years old, because of car sickness. It seems to get bad when in a harness. He also complained alot that his "package" hurt in a harness. He loved being harnessed and asks every day to go back into a harness(he has tried every seat: Nautilus, Frontier, Regent, Radian65)

Logan will probally go in a booster full-time when he outgrows the nautilus(which may be 8 years old). :thumbsup:

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I voted girl between 5 and 6. I had no choice as she reached 40 pounds and/or height limit (can't remember which!) and there wasn't a seat that harnessed heavier/taller at the time.

Dresses/skirts were never part of decision for DD1 and won't be for DD2 either.

I voted girl between 4 and 5. When my twins were getting close to outgrowing their RA's by height, the only commonly available HWH seats were the MA and the Husky and the Radian was just about to come out. We weren't planning any other kids after DD's so getting two HWH convertibles didn't make sense, and the Huskys were just too huge for seats that we'd be moving between cars occasionally (and needing to fit an adult in the back seat with DD's on occasion). If the Nauti and Frontier had been around back then, we probably would've gotten two Nauti's and DD's would still be harnessed at 7.5YO. But as it was, we got two CarGos on clearance for about $45 each and two Parkways at about $99 each, so 4 seats for a little more than the price of one Husky. The CarGos were their main seats until DD1 hit 40 lbs. (a little before age 5) and then both moved to the PW's full time even though DD2 didn't hit 40 lbs. until sometime between age 5 and 6.

tanyaandallie

Senior Community Member
I voted girl over 6. Mine is 6 and not in a booster full time yet but will be within the next 12 mos.

I do think the skirt/dress issue can be a pain at times. But, it's not a huge deal. Luckily my dd doesn't wear a ton of long dresses or skirts. I will say that we do now have a booster (old parkway) and her Froniter in the car. If she is wearing a long dress she will sit in the PW for sure.

myliljunebugs

I put boy over 6. I almost picked girl over 6 because I have no doubt she will be (the Regent expires when she is 7). DS was 6 when I put him FT in a booster, but he is harnessed again.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC