Another question about traveling with car seats

mommie2m&r

We are planning a trip to visit my parents. It will be the first time my children have made the trip. DD who is 4.5 years old will ride in the plane and in the rental car on the other end in her Britax Frontier.

DS who is 6.5 years old is the one I'm not sure about. I know that on the plane he should be fine with just using the seatbelt on the seat. I'm going to have him sit next to either myself or my husband so we can make sure he is using his seatbelt correctly.

I'm just not sure about what to do for him on the other end. At home he rides in a Britax Parkway, but I'm not sure as he won't be riding in it on the plane if I want to take it with us. From what I have read people have suggested that it isn't a good idea to check a car seat even if you do it at the gate. I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money on another seat for him, as we don't travel enough to make it cost effective. I'm hoping you guys would have some suggestions for me. What about a backless booster or is there an inexpensive high back booster that would work for him???

ADS

MomToEliEm

Will you be doing a lot of driving while visiting your parents? Does he sleep a lot in the car for shorter drives? If you are not going to be doing a lot of driving, and there will be headrests in the rental car, then a no-back booster might be fine for the trip. We have taken just a backless on some of our plane trips as it is a lot easier to carry on the plane (fits in the overhead bin).

If you feel that he still needs the extra support of the high back during the trip, see if you can find a high back turbo for a good price. Carry on the no-back portion on the plane and pack the high back portion in your suitcase. This way, if your luggage is lost, you will have the no-back portion with you since you carried it on, and once your luggage is returned to you, you can then use the high back portion.

mommie2m&r

We won't be doing a lot of driving just a bunch of short trips around town to visit friends and family. He doesn't tend to sleep in the car unless we are doing a long trip, so I'm not thinking that will be an issue.

As for headrests in the rental car....I have no idea until we get there and see what kind of car they give us.

Thanks for your advice

werforpsu

buying something of course depends on your financial situation but...a graco no back turbo booster is only 25 bucks at walmart and a high back turbo booster is only 45 bucks. there are other brands that are even more inexpensive. i would think about how you are going to get through the airport with both kids and both seats etc. that is a major factor for me when i travel. there is a car seat carrier that i have heard good things about. it is a bag with back pack straps that is approved for checking or carrying with you. people seem to feel like you can fit two seats in depending on the seats that you have. this could be a way to take whatever two seats you decide on. it is 40 bucks at walmart and i know babies r us sells them too. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4698052

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC