Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

high-back vs low-back booster

Hello,
    I have a ten-year-old daughter riding in the center of the third seat of an '06 Sienna in a Monterey. She is very slight, just approaching 60 lbs and I don't have her height handy, but she's about average height. She does not pass the 5-step test yet, so she will remain in the booster, but she has asked if she can ride in it as a low-back booster ("Mom, most of my friends don't even use a booster! This seat is so big it looks like I'm in a baby seat!"). We were in a serious accident a few months ago so I am more committed than ever to maximizing my children's safety in the car, and if the consensus here is that the high back is important, I will tell her that she needs to use it. But I also wonder if low-back might be OK since she rides in the center and the side-impact protection is less important. One thing I have wondered about is if we were rear-ended, would the high back provide more protection?
    Thank you for any input!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crankypants carseatcoach's Avatar

Re: high-back vs low-back booster

Unless there are special circumstances, a 10yo is usually fine in a backless booster.
    CPST and Mama to a 13yo girl, 5-stepped at age 10 and 5'

Posted from my toaster using a PopTart

At your daughter's age, a no-back booster might be fine. Does the vehicle have adequate head support behind her head (at least up to her ears)? The main reason why she might still need a high back booster is if she didn't have that headrest (or high seat back) to help support her head if there was a car crash.
    Katy

Senior Community Member

Quote Originally Posted by MomToEliEm View Post
    At your daughter's age, a no-back booster might be fine. Does the vehicle have adequate head support behind her head (at least up to her ears)? The main reason why she might still need a high back booster is if she didn't have that headrest (or high seat back) to help support her head if there was a car crash.

As long as the car provides head support I'd be comfortable with a 10 yo in a low back booster.
    Mama to an amazing 8 month old baby boy and many fur babies!

CPS Fanatic

An '06 Sienna should have a headrest there. She's fine in that case.
    Mommy to two wild little boys and a little princess!
    DS1 (01/05, 46 1/2", 44 lbs), Boring Gray Turbobooster / Harmony Literider
    DS2 (07/07, 39 1/2", 40lbs), Harvest Complete Air / Booster Training in a Maui Blue PWSG / RSTV
    DD (07/09, 33", 23lbs), rfing Flair MyRide / rfing Scenera

Just chiming in agreement. Since she's asking to be in a backless, I'd be fine with it. She should have the van's headrest behind her head for the support she needs.

Maybe put the back on for long car rides, in case she falls asleep.
    Mama to Sofi: 7.1 yrs, 46Lbs (47"), Boostered in a Turbo, Vivo, Monterey, Cybex; harnessed in Nautilus
    Nanny to BabyD, 21 months in a RXT, Classic Marathon, Boulevard 70

Unregistered

Thank you all for your replies. You are all so helpful. I will let her use it backless around town (she'll be thrilled) and suggest putting the back on for longer trips.
    Thanks!

That's a good idea. My 13 yo (5 ft 3, 120 lbs) uses a Britax frontier on long trips because he falls asleep.
    Rebekah Branch, CPST from May 2005 until June 2011
    Mom to CJ (7/96, seatbelt), Gregory (4/98, seatbelt), & Joyjoy (10/03, misc. booster seats)
    "That which you create in beauty and goodness and truth lives on."
    - Denis Waitley