Question Hmm, what to do??

ohiomommy08

Hi! I've been a very loyal "lurker" for a long time and finally have a question to ask all of you wonderful carseat experts!! This might get long and complicated, but hopefully I'll make some sense!

First of all, my daughter is 15 months and is tiny! (Yippee - she'll be rearfacing forever!!) She is 20 lbs, 4 oz, and 29 1/4 inches. Not sure of torso height, but she has short legs (9 month jeans!) and is on the second slot of her SafeSeat 1.

My vehicle is an '05 Town and Country with captains seats. She rides behind the driver seat. My husband drives a '99 Chevy Malibu. We have her base in the middle back in his car. He has no latch and a lap only belt in the middle and the outboard shoulder belts don't seem to lock - I'm not very knowledgeable on what type of belts and when to use locking clips etc.

We LOVE our SafeSeat. It is so easy to install. We've never even tried it with latch because the seatbelt install is so easy. DD has plenty of room left in her SS - several inches left above her head and about 10 pounds to go!!

So the question is now what?

We've been saving our spare change and I cashed it in tonight and have $140. We could keep saving and keep using the SS1 as we have been. It is almost always in the van with me, but if I ever leave her at home with Dad or drop her off with someone for him to pick up, I have to make sure to leave her seat - which I'm not in the habit of doing anymore!!

We have the option of using a touriva in DH's care (if I can figure out how to store the rear tether and get it installed with seatbelts), but he actually likes the idea of continuing using the SS because if she's in direct sun from the back window, the canopy could go over her (that is OK isn't it?). Plus we have a great install there and he knows how to install the base if he ever needs to take it out.

So should we keep using the SS for both vehicles, or get a new seat for the van now or in the future? We could get the MR65 right now and I think it's a great seat, but it doesn't have lockoffs (I think) and the FF recline kind of concerns me (although that is several years down the road with 40lbs RF and a teeny tiny girl!)

We could also wait and keep saving money for a future seat. The problem is there are so many good choices out there right now!! Complete Air, Radian XT, TrueFit C670, all the Britax - the Roundabout 50 might even work for her and maybe even the EFTA!

So, that's my dilemma! Of course DH says if you get a seat now, then that's it for a LONG time. Say in other words, I can only dream over all these great seats.

Any input and ideas would be welcome!!

Thank you!

Laurie

ADS

kathysr98

I think I would wait & see what else comes out soon. As small as your DD is (about the same as mine =)) you can probably get a while longer out of the current seat, & there may be something even better coming. As for the Touriva...check for the 'notches of death' before using it EVER.AGAIN. If the Touriva is clear of notches, I might consider putting it in your DH's car since I would guess he would be most likely to end up with her & no carseat sometime. I personally have a fear of leaving DD with anyone without a properly installed seat in a car in the driveway to transport her. I guess I alway think something will happen & it will be needed. This is why my child has four seats. Yes, my only child has four seats, none of them her bucket. If the Touriva has notches, and you are concerned about putting something in DH's car permanantly, pick up a Scenera or Uptown/Avenue. They are cheap, & you could go back to saving for the most wonderful seat to come out around the time your DD outgrows the bucket.

U

Unregistered1

I think eventually you are going to need two new seats. Once you move to a convertible, it will be more practical for you to each have one in your car. I honestly would look at continuing to use the SS1 for a while and saving up some more, then getting two seats at the same time (or close). Maybe something moderately priced (not $300). Roundabout 50s or My Rides or True Fits or EFTAs. Those seats should all last your tiny dd a long time!

Where did you get the Touriva? I would double check for expiration or recalls, and also check under the cover for the little 'notches' (kind of half-oval shaped cutouts in the plastic in the sides of the seat) - seats with these notches have injured children and IMO should have been recalled. If it's notch-free, you know the history, not expired or recalled and does not have an overhead shield, I'd be fine with using it :)

AtTheSouthDam

I third waiting and continuing to use the SS. And with such a tiny girl the MR65 may not be the best option down the road. She may end up needing something that offers more shell height vs weight. Mine is one of many that would outgrow the MR65 by height before even hitting 35#. As far as remembering to take the seat out when you leave her behind maybe you can get in the habit of putting something back there, purse or a blanket, then if you are not putting her in you'll remeber to take it out? Just a thought :)

ohiomommy08

Thanks for the responses!

I was thinking we should keep using the SS also and keep saving our money. There are so many great seats and new ones keep coming out. (Which makes it so much harder to decide!) We'll probably just keep doing things as we've been doing it, unless DH agrees to have the touriva and I can get it installed correctly. The uptown idea might work too - I think I saw one at Big Lots last week. We really very rarely have a situation where we need to use the seat in his car (or even have it available).

I got the touriva from my sister who is a carseat tech and it expires in 2011, so I know its fine (although I'll double check on the notches). She's just several states away and can't help me install it. The SS just seems so much more comfortable and SO much easier to install!! Although while I was adjusting the harness, my DD kept climbing in it and trying to buckle (too cute!!) and she threw a fit when I took it away! My daughter loves her carseats!

As for future seats for DH, my sister will be passing on her marathon(s?) as her daughters outgrow them. I think maybe by this winter, so we'll have a good seat in his car (or maybe mine) until it expires in a few years. They probably only RF to 33 though, but we'll cross that bridge later - probably not for a few years!!

Thanks! I'm sure you'll be hearing from me again when we have to make a decision!! Thanks for all of your great advice. I have learned SO much from just reading and observing this forum!

Laurie

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC