What!!!

Michi

So..we had driven a couple miles down the road last night - (we had just left a friend's house) and my 9 yr old says...
"Mom I need help - I just can't buckle with these gloves on...."

What!!! Sigh - I just assumed that she would have said something before I pulled out of the driveway -
Usually I get the "Wait - I'm not buckled!"

I guess it's a good reminder to me not to assume anything and to keep asking,
"Everyone buckled?" ...no matter HOW old they are!

ADS

CarSeatPoncho

AAAAAHHHH!!! I would be :eek:

In my car, the kids (except for DS) panic a little if the car starts to move before they click. "WAIT WAIT WAAAAAAAAIIIIT!!!"

It is ALWAYS dh in the driver's seat when this happens. When he stops and they click, they shake their heads and give him a look like, "ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL ME????"

Michi

USUALLY my kids do that too! ( That's whay I was so startled/surprised that she did this.)
Luckily there was a side street right there that I could pull off on. I actually got out of the car and went and buckled her myself, and told her that if she is not buckled to TELL me!

I was so freaked out that we drove that far w/o her buckled up.
(I'm not sure if I was more angry with her - or myself!)

Last edited:

mominabigtruck

Sounds like my oldest, before I put him in a husky he was in an evenflo booster and he could never buckle himself in, but occasionally he would unbuckle himself. So there I'd be going down the highway and he'd start screaming in the backseat that he was unbuckled. Of course now he tell all the other kids in his class how they're not safe because they're not in a carseat so I don't feel so bad.

skaterbabs

I always ask because Gregory has a hard time buckling and can take FOREVER to get it done, even if he's first in the car. So Joyjoy has started piping in "I buckled!":rolleyes:

Tara

Yeah we have to 'sign off' as well. Everyone buckled?
We have a pokey 5 yr old. And then the 7 yr old is now in charge of buckling the 3 yr old ... that's iffy LOL

The worst is when dh is driving. He's used to being by himself and is in 'pool guy mode'. So he jumps in the truck, slams it in drive and off he goes. I have to remind him as he reaches for the shifter....honey...5 children must buckle before you move..we are nowhere near that yet LOL

It's funny. By the end of the day, when we're all out and about, he's just about figured it out and will remember to just start the truck and SIT. But most of the time he automatically goes to shift into reverse...he sees my glance, or catches himself.

Simplysomething

I have to do the "is everyone buckled" thing, and it's not like I drive a car where I can't SEE if everyone is buckled (well, technically, I can't see the baby. lol).

My grandmother is famous for just sitting there, until I tell her to buckle up, and then getting mad at me. My oldest, if I start to pull off before he is buckled, lets me know. Before he learned to do it himself, I'd sometimes forget to buckle his belt after putting the baby in...get in the front seat and he'd scream MOM..I'm NOT BUCKLED!!!.

Made me feel like the worlds greatest mother, :( .

K.

Morganthe

Before he learned to do it himself, I'd sometimes forget to buckle his belt after putting the baby in...get in the front seat and he'd scream MOM..I'm NOT BUCKLED!!!.

Made me feel like the worlds greatest mother
K.

LOL, that's up there with my DD suddenly screaming "Don't TAKE me away from my MOMMY" when my poor beleagured husband tried to push the shopping cart down the aisle at Walmart last week. :D He felt like the world's worst father as all eyes were upon him :( :p

Dillipop

We were getting in the car after going to target a few weeks ago. I sent Dillon to his side to get in and put his straps over his shoulders, dropped the safeseat into it's base and went to put the stroller in the trunk. Finished with that, got in my seat, put on my seatbelt and started the car. From the backseat..."Mommy, you almost forgot!" "Forgot what?" "You almost forgot!" I had forgotten to buckle his seat! I got out of the car and praised him for reminding me.

DH did the same thing this week (boy, are we good parents or what, forgetting to buckle the kid!). Dillon said the same thing to him "Daddy you almost forgot!" until DH realized what he had forgotten!

On our way to church on Sunday, DH was getting Dillon in the car and he kept saying "Tighter, tighter, Daddy." I don't think Daddy does the tight until they don't breathe like I do. It is within guidelines, he can't pinch any strap, but Dillon is used to me not being able to even envision pinching the strap.

I am so proud of my little guy!

tchrgrrl

My parents rode in the 3rd row of our rental van a lot during vacation last week and my almost 4 year old would check with everyone in the van "are you buckled in safe Grandma? are you safe Papa? are you all buckled in Momma? are you safe Daddy? are we ready to go?" THEN we could start driving LOL!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I'd sometimes forget to buckle his belt after putting the baby in...get in the front seat and he'd scream MOM..I'm NOT BUCKLED!!
This is exactly what happens to me (only occassionally). None of mine can buckle themselves yet, and sometimes I forget one of them (or I think DH did it and he thinks I did it), but they will SCREAM at me like I did it intentionally before we even pull out of the driveway. Honestly, I'm so relieved that they react that way. Maybe it means that when they're teenagers and are driving on their own, they'll still feel the same way about being buckled up! (Keeping my fingers crossed).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC