Question Odyssey or Sienna

jennyb813

We're in the market for a minivan and while I love the idea of an Odyssey, I'm wondering if it's the most practical from a car seat standpoint.
We'll be buying used.
I'll have 3 seats, 2 FF, one RFing (baby on the way). I've got a plethora of seats to choose from (2 graco nautilus, a FP safe voyage and a regent and a roundabout.) I know the Sienna has more LATCH positions and I'm not opposed to using a seat belt, It's just so hard to do with the lap/shoulder combination sometimes.

Anyway, let me know what you think :) Thanks!

ADS

hipmaman

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd avoid the 2005 Odyssey since it has only 3 tether anchors (2 captain chairs and the middle rear bench) :( Otherwise, you can't go wrong with either Ody or Sienna (post 2004 though)

Chex

Here's my reply to a similar question a while back:

"It depends on how many seats you want. We are about to turn in our 8-passenger Odyssey (it was a 4-year lease) and we just bought an '08 8-passenger Sienna. There are pros and cons to both. If you have a husband who cares about "get-up-and-go-ability" then you need to look at an '07 Sienna or newer and an '05 Ody or newer. When we were looking in '05, the Sienna had a lot less power (which lead to our getting the Ody, along with other reasons). They changed the engine a bit in '07.

It'll also depend on how important leather is to you. Honda's packages make sense to me with what you get each time you get a "higher" package. Toyota's don't make much sense at all. If you want leather you'll have to either get a 7-passenger Sienna or pay the $$$ to have them re-upholster an 8-passenger. The Odyssey comes w/leather no matter what once you hit that "package level."

The Odyssey's 8th seat is pretty useless, so I definitely wouldn't get it if you are going to need that 8th seat.

The other weird thing is that with the Toyota you can only get 1 auto-sliding door if you're getting an 8-passenger. The dual-auto-doors only come on the top-level 7-passenger (SOOOO stupid, if you ask me). I know it seems silly, but I really miss having both doors automatic. The Odyssey also comes with dual-auto-doors at a certain level, but I don't think it ever comes with just 1. I really don't get why Toyota does that.

The other thing is if you're ever going to need to do a 3-across (on either row), the Sienna far surpasses the Odyssey in that area.

There are other minor differences too. The Odyssey comes with more "creature comforts," but not too many things that I can say I miss terribly. I like the "looks" of the Odyssey better (interior and exterior). I don't know if any of this helps at all, but if you have specific questions feel free to pm me."

ETA: I wanted to add that I agree w/pp about the '05 Odysseys. They did a better job with the later models.

Louisa

CPST Instructor
can you tell me about the cargo area in both of these vans?
i currently drive a dodge grand caravan and really like that i have a lot of room behind the 3rd row. i always have a double stroller in the car and generally a bunch of other random stuff.
can you tell me about the Odyssey and the Sienna

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC