Question about the radian's safe stop

my2kidsSafe

I just got the radian to use as a seat in dh's car. He usually one uses his car if he has one kid, and we also have the alpha omega that we could use if needed for both kids. But i would prefer both kids to use the radian if they are alone in the car. They are both on the same slot length so that works. DS is 2.5 and 35 lbs and dd is 5 and 45 lbs. It says to always use the safe stop on kids under 40 lbs when they are top tethered or latched. Dh's car does not have latch so we would not be able to use that. I'm honestly not sure if it has a tether. But if it does is there a way i can use it so both kids can use the seat without having to reinstall it every time.

ADS

scoutingbear

If there is no tether...then you are good. If there is, you could make the parental decision to not use the safe stop on your younger child. I would use a tether and no safe stop over not using the tether though :twocents:

emandbri

The first radians didn't have a safe stop and passed government crash test specifications. I would use install it without the safe stop and not worry about it.

Pixels

You have a second seat that your DD could use? Why do you prefer them to each ride in the Radian when alone? I wouldn't want to give up the SafeStop for the younger child, if it's an option. I would have DD ride in a different seat and use the Radian with SafeStop for DS. Of course all that is assuming that you can get the top tether connected.

What is the year/make/model of the vehicle? Someone with a LATCH manual can look up where your tether anchors are located, or give you a part number if it can be retrofitted.

my2kidsSafe

You have a second seat that your DD could use? Why do you prefer them to each ride in the Radian when alone? I wouldn't want to give up the SafeStop for the younger child, if it's an option. I would have DD ride in a different seat and use the Radian with SafeStop for DS. Of course all that is assuming that you can get the top tether connected.

What is the year/make/model of the vehicle? Someone with a LATCH manual can look up where your tether anchors are located, or give you a part number if it can be retrofitted.

our other seat is a 3-1 which dd already outgrew in harness mode.It is expiring within the year also i believe. The car we have is a 98 ford mustang. Because of the car being so tiny i wanted the added protection from the radian. Once the seat expires we will only have the one seat. If i give up the safestop on the younger child, it would require me to put dd in a booster. What do you think is safer, put the younger kid in the radian without the safestop and have dd harnessed. Or give the younger one the safestop and put dd in a booster.

Pixels

What do you think is safer, put the younger kid in the radian without the safestop and have dd harnessed. Or give the younger one the safestop and put dd in a booster.

My official answer has to be to put DD in the booster, or put the SafeStop on and take it off every time, depending on who is using the seat. Using the Radian top tethered without the SafeStop for your DS is going against the manufacturer's instructions. I can't tell you that it's okay for you to do that. You can make the parental decision to do it anyway, but I can't tell you that it's okay.

Has your DD ever sat in a booster before? Does she have the maturity to sit properly 100% of the time? She's physically big enough for a booster to be safe, it's a question of whether she can stay in position. Is she likely to fall asleep while in DH's car?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Unless you've had it added on, a 98 Mustang doesn't have a top tether anchor and it's not even a question, you may NOT use the safestop for either child.

So just keep the Safestop on it's little label/hook on the back of the cover, install it with the seatbelt, and don't worry. Though it's a good idea to go down to the Ford dealer and get them to install an anchor or two (it's free under Program R7C).

And theoretically speaking, I'd personally feel comfortable using the seat for the smaller child without a Safestop (I'd have to, I own a pre-safestop seat, and evidently it's not a huge safety issue or they'd have had a recall and send me one to use for a child FF under 40 lbs)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC