So why is Britax always behind on raising rfing limits on seats?

Raegansmom4

Since Britax is top of the line and so innovative in other areas (sip, for instance), why are they a step or two behind on the rfing weight limits? I mean they were only 33 lbs forever when many others were 35 lbs, and when they finally jump up to 35 lbs, there are 40 lb rfing seats out there. Wouldn't they look at the fact that extended rear-facing is the best way to keep kids safe? I mean, they practically overkill on the SIP w/ the Advocate, but only put a 35 lb rfing limit? Does anyone else wonder this or only me?? lol

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
Not everyone agrees that Britax is "top of the line" -- and I'm not just saying that to be snarky, but to explain that I am not all that surprised.

U

Unregistered1

I spoke to Sarah Tilton about this this week and the impression I got from her is that Britax does not simply want to jump on the bandwagon by rushing to raise current limits, they feel that their efforts are best spent working on a 'next generation' (her words) line of seats that will likely have higher limits sometime in the future. Anyways, it was nice to know that the issue is not totally off their radar.

While I do like many Britax seats and they truly used to be the only game in town with the high weight limits, I definitely agree with the previous poster that there are a lot of wonderful, innovative and very safe seats out there today; holding Britax to a higher standard is just no longer logical.

Gotta say, I'm curious what these 'next generation' seats are going to be like though! Exciting!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'm also among those who wouldn't consider Britax top of the line. I don't actually think there is any single manufacturer that completely outshines the rest.

I'm also not convinced that the 40lb rf'ing limits are a make or break thing in terms of a seat being worth recommending. We still have multiple seats in Canada with only a 30lb rf'ing limit and if a child is likely to be at least 2yrs old before hitting 30lbs I have no qualms with suggesting those seats. My ds won't hit 35lbs until he's over 4yrs old based on growth charts, so for many many kids 35lbs isn't a big deal. :thumbsup:

I spoke to Sarah Tilton about this this week and the impression I got from her is that Britax does not simply want to jump on the bandwagon by rushing to raise current limits, they feel that their efforts are best spent working on a 'next generation' (her words) line of seats that will likely have higher limits sometime in the future. Anyways, it was nice to know that the issue is not totally off their radar.

While I do like many Britax seats and they truly used to be the only game in town with the high weight limits, I definitely agree with the previous poster that there are a lot of wonderful, innovative and very safe seats out there today; holding Britax to a higher standard is just no longer logical.

Gotta say, I'm curious what these 'next generation' seats are going to be like though! Exciting!

I'm very glad to hear you say that they're working on a next generation of seats Katie. Though it seems weird in some ways when they keep coming out with new seats that are just variations on the same shell...

But I am starting to see more and more vehicles where the curvature at the top of the shell in the MA etc creates an incompatibility when combined with a vehicle that has fixed and immovable headrests that tilt forward, together with a sloped seat. I recently saw a new Ford which actually has this problem. We got the seat in acceptably, but if it was someone considering buying the seat I would've advised against it...

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I agree that for children of average or smaller size, a 35# RFing limit would not be a dealbreaker for me (the 30# limit kind of is, but that's partly because the two 30# American seats are the ComfortSport and the Tribute, which are not seats I would recommend regardless).

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I agree that for children of average or smaller size, a 35# RFing limit would not be a dealbreaker for me (the 30# limit kind of is, but that's partly because the two 30# American seats are the ComfortSport and the Tribute, which are not seats I would recommend regardless).

Yeah, I could see the 30# being a big deal when you've had at least 33 and 35lbs on most seats for so long. All Britax except the Advocate and the RA 50 are still 30lbs, so that is probably part of what makes me less critical. Though with the RA 50 being so much less and a really nice seat it will certainly jump ahead of the MA in terms of sales at work I think. ;)

Raegansmom4

Ouch. I guess I shouldn't have called Britax "top of the line." I do realize there are many great seats out there. I have had a Britax, an Evenflo, and a Graco, so I am not an "all Britax" person. My line of thought was based on the fact of how many people push, push, push the extended rear-facing, and ONE of the top-dog car seat companies is not necessarily prioritizing raising rfing limits.

emandbri

Ouch. I guess I shouldn't have called Britax "top of the line."

I see no problem with calling britax top of the line, I don't know why people are giving you such trouble. :confused:

Here is the definition I found of "top of the line" Noun 1. top of the linetop of the line - the best (most expensive) in a given line of merchandise

Yes, there are other other seats that work better in some cases (for example leg room rear-facing) but there is no arguing that price wise Britax makes some of the most expensive seats out there. Which would make them "top of the line." Obviously people have personal preferences and some might like seats that others don't like and it would totally depend on the fit of the child and the car. That said I really liked my marathons and really do wish they had more leg room and a higher rear-facing weight limit.

To answer your question I'm baffled by the fact that they aren't coming out with a seat with a higher rear-facing weight limit and that they aren't promoting extending rear-facing at all.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
If you mean 'top of the line' in terms of luxurious covers and fancy extras like the lockoffs, no-rethread harness, etc then yes Britax is it. However, in terms of safety Britax isn't the only option for ERF anymore, and yes is behind the times a bit. I'm not the least bit surprised that they haven't upped the RF weight limits, and in fact would laugh out loud if they put a 40 lb limit on their current convertibles. A 40pound kid in a Radian is feasible; in a Marathon, very few kids would see 40 lbs.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC