Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!


 

Sponsored Ads

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Community Member steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    970

    I honestly can't believe I'm asking this question

    Okay I know this is stupid because it is a matter of a very small difference but when I was looking at informed for life website the 07 Pilot is rated 59 which is great and the IIHS front, side and rear ratings are all good. The 06 MDX is rated 67.4 again great but the IIHS is rated front = good, side = no rating and rear = poor. Is the rating for poor bad? I mean they both seem like excellent and safe vehicles....and I know I am probably being super paranoid Mom over hear but I would like to know what you guys think. Does the Pilot hold a huge safety advantage over the MDX or is it 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other

    Thanks and sorry to be so particular about this
    Steph
    Mom to R (5-steps),
    E and A (riding in Nuna Pipas)

  2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads
    Join Date
    April, 2001
    Posts
    Many
     
     

  3. #2
    CPS Advocate lovinwaves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri USA
    Posts
    8,050

    Re: I honestly can't believe I'm asking this question

    Did you try to go to the IIHS site directly?
    Melissa
    Peyton 10
    Camden 9
    And a new baby on the way

  4. #3
    CPSDarren - Admin SafeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    11,979

    Re: I honestly can't believe I'm asking this question

    Quote Originally Posted by saa2006 View Post
    Okay I know this is stupid because it is a matter of a very small difference but when I was looking at informed for life website the 07 Pilot is rated 59 which is great and the IIHS front, side and rear ratings are all good. The 06 MDX is rated 67.4 again great but the IIHS is rated front = good, side = no rating and rear = poor. Is the rating for poor bad? I mean they both seem like excellent and safe vehicles....and I know I am probably being super paranoid Mom over hear but I would like to know what you guys think. Does the Pilot hold a huge safety advantage over the MDX or is it 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other

    Thanks and sorry to be so particular about this
    I would agree with the Informed for Life ratings. The Pilot probably has a small advantage, but both are well above average in safety overall. As for the rear crash test rating, I have some comments on that here http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=14 .

  5. #4
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13

    Re: I honestly can't believe I'm asking this question

    It looks as though the Pilot stats that you are using are for an '07 (current model year), and the Acura's are for an '06 (last years).

    In '06, the Pilot also had a score of 67, compared to this years 59.

    I am just guessing, but maybe they haven't tested an '07 Acura yet.

  6. #5
    Senior Community Member steph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    970

    Re: I honestly can't believe I'm asking this question

    Quote Originally Posted by WESTMICHIGANLEO View Post
    It looks as though the Pilot stats that you are using are for an '07 (current model year), and the Acura's are for an '06 (last years).

    In '06, the Pilot also had a score of 67, compared to this years 59.

    I am just guessing, but maybe they haven't tested an '07 Acura yet.
    Yes it is for an 06 Acura....I'm looking at a 06 MDX or a 07 Pilot. The reason I am looking at a 06 MDX vs 07 is because they are clearing their inventory of 06's since the 07's are out and the prices are awesome!
    Steph
    Mom to R (5-steps),
    E and A (riding in Nuna Pipas)

  7. #6
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13

    Re: I honestly can't believe I'm asking this question

    My apologies. I don't know how I missed the year part between the Pilot and the MDX.

    I don't think there are any differences between the '06 and '07 Pilot and there are differences listed there as well ('06 @ 67, & '07 @ 59). The only risk assessment that is higher is the side impact fatality risk points are higher on the '06. I wonder difference they saw between the 2 model years? I went further back and looked at an '05 w/o Side Impact Airbags, which had a score of 82, so that eliminates them using earlier stats and just carrying them over to the next year.

    You have me wondering now too. hahaha. What is the difference in scores between the 2 model years?

    I'll keep looking and let you know if I figure it out.

  8. #7
    CPSDarren - Admin SafeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    11,979

    Re: I honestly can't believe I'm asking this question

    Quote Originally Posted by WESTMICHIGANLEO View Post
    My apologies. I don't know how I missed the year part between the Pilot and the MDX.

    I don't think there are any differences between the '06 and '07 Pilot and there are differences listed there as well ('06 @ 67, & '07 @ 59). The only risk assessment that is higher is the side impact fatality risk points are higher on the '06. I wonder difference they saw between the 2 model years? I went further back and looked at an '05 w/o Side Impact Airbags, which had a score of 82, so that eliminates them using earlier stats and just carrying them over to the next year.

    You have me wondering now too. hahaha. What is the difference in scores between the 2 model years?

    I'll keep looking and let you know if I figure it out.
    There is no actual difference. InformedForLife has not updated the 2006 information to include that side impact test from the IIHS. So, an average result is assumed instead of the actual "Good" result. That made the score a little lower than it will be if and when they update it for the missing result.

  9. #8
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    13

    Re: I honestly can't believe I'm asking this question

    Well look at that. There is the difference.

    Thanks Darren.

    I can't imagine that they would go back and test an '06's side impact rating, so in all fairness, it could be looked at as having the same score as the '07 because of the incomplete data.


    thanks again,
    Eric

  10. #9
    CPSDarren - Admin SafeDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    11,979

    Re: I honestly can't believe I'm asking this question

    The IIHS test was on a 2006 and the results carried over to 2007. The problem is probably that the test was done at the end of the model year so the editors of InformedForLife probably just didn't go back and update their spreadsheet for 2006.

    If you send them an email, they are usually pretty good about making updates.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •