I honestly can't believe I'm asking this question

steph

Okay I know this is stupid because it is a matter of a very small difference but when I was looking at informed for life website the 07 Pilot is rated 59 which is great and the IIHS front, side and rear ratings are all good. The 06 MDX is rated 67.4 again great but the IIHS is rated front = good, side = no rating and rear = poor. Is the rating for poor bad? I mean they both seem like excellent and safe vehicles....and I know I am probably being super paranoid Mom :eek: over hear but I would like to know what you guys think. Does the Pilot hold a huge safety advantage over the MDX or is it 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other;)

Thanks and sorry to be so particular about this:p

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Okay I know this is stupid because it is a matter of a very small difference but when I was looking at informed for life website the 07 Pilot is rated 59 which is great and the IIHS front, side and rear ratings are all good. The 06 MDX is rated 67.4 again great but the IIHS is rated front = good, side = no rating and rear = poor. Is the rating for poor bad? I mean they both seem like excellent and safe vehicles....and I know I am probably being super paranoid Mom :eek: over hear but I would like to know what you guys think. Does the Pilot hold a huge safety advantage over the MDX or is it 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other;)

Thanks and sorry to be so particular about this:p

I would agree with the Informed for Life ratings. The Pilot probably has a small advantage, but both are well above average in safety overall. As for the rear crash test rating, I have some comments on that here http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=58784&postcount=14 .

WESTMICHIGANLEO

It looks as though the Pilot stats that you are using are for an '07 (current model year), and the Acura's are for an '06 (last years).

In '06, the Pilot also had a score of 67, compared to this years 59.

I am just guessing, but maybe they haven't tested an '07 Acura yet.

steph

It looks as though the Pilot stats that you are using are for an '07 (current model year), and the Acura's are for an '06 (last years).

In '06, the Pilot also had a score of 67, compared to this years 59.

I am just guessing, but maybe they haven't tested an '07 Acura yet.

Yes it is for an 06 Acura....I'm looking at a 06 MDX or a 07 Pilot. The reason I am looking at a 06 MDX vs 07 is because they are clearing their inventory of 06's since the 07's are out and the prices are awesome!

WESTMICHIGANLEO

My apologies. I don't know how I missed the year part between the Pilot and the MDX.

I don't think there are any differences between the '06 and '07 Pilot and there are differences listed there as well ('06 @ 67, & '07 @ 59). The only risk assessment that is higher is the side impact fatality risk points are higher on the '06. I wonder difference they saw between the 2 model years? I went further back and looked at an '05 w/o Side Impact Airbags, which had a score of 82, so that eliminates them using earlier stats and just carrying them over to the next year.

You have me wondering now too. hahaha. What is the difference in scores between the 2 model years?

I'll keep looking and let you know if I figure it out.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
My apologies. I don't know how I missed the year part between the Pilot and the MDX.

I don't think there are any differences between the '06 and '07 Pilot and there are differences listed there as well ('06 @ 67, & '07 @ 59). The only risk assessment that is higher is the side impact fatality risk points are higher on the '06. I wonder difference they saw between the 2 model years? I went further back and looked at an '05 w/o Side Impact Airbags, which had a score of 82, so that eliminates them using earlier stats and just carrying them over to the next year.

You have me wondering now too. hahaha. What is the difference in scores between the 2 model years?

I'll keep looking and let you know if I figure it out.

There is no actual difference. InformedForLife has not updated the 2006 information to include that side impact test from the IIHS. So, an average result is assumed instead of the actual "Good" result. That made the score a little lower than it will be if and when they update it for the missing result.

WESTMICHIGANLEO

Well look at that. There is the difference.

Thanks Darren.

I can't imagine that they would go back and test an '06's side impact rating, so in all fairness, it could be looked at as having the same score as the '07 because of the incomplete data.

thanks again,
Eric

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The IIHS test was on a 2006 and the results carried over to 2007. The problem is probably that the test was done at the end of the model year so the editors of InformedForLife probably just didn't go back and update their spreadsheet for 2006.

If you send them an email, they are usually pretty good about making updates.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC