Question How do I safely get rid of a used seat

tixiepoo

I have a Baby Trend flex-lock infant seat that we are no longer using. It has never been in an accident, but it was moved by our movers when we moved cross-country. It arrived scuffed and missing the canopy making me a little worried about what it had been through during the trip. Am I being overly paranoid that it was maybe damaged internally? How can I get rid of the seat where I can be sure that no one else will use it?

Thanks in advance.

ADS

DahliaRW

Check with your local safekids. Around here we have car seat recycling once or twice a year and I think they organize it.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Or check the list of techs on the car seat chat page...I know if you're in CT I'd happily take it for a training seat! :)

tixiepoo

Check with your local safekids. Around here we have car seat recycling once or twice a year and I think they organize it.

:( I just checked their website, and believe it or not, there was a local car seat check-up TODAY, but it ended at 11:30. It is the last one scheduled for this year. What are the odds. It wouldn't have bothered me if it was yesterday, but to miss it by just over 4 hours, grrrr.... :mad:

Or check the list of techs on the car seat chat page...I know if you're in CT I'd happily take it for a training seat!

Thanks for the input on where to look. Not in CT, but there is one tech listed in my area:

Daniella
(Sum1Else)

Do you know if she posts here?

If not does anyone here live near St. Johns, FL (we border Jacksonville).

Thanks again.

ookpix

If you can find a tech who would take it as a training seat, that would be awesome!
I have thrown several away and just take them in as many pieces as possible. Infant seats - take the cover and straps off, unscrew the handle, and dispose of the pieces seperately (including the base). The missing handle and naked seat make it pretty much non interesting to people. I usually stick mine in my kitchen garbage bag and throw all my food trash in on top - making it gross on top of naked and useless. And I throw the base out a seperate week or have sent them to my mom's before for her to throw out.
Some other things I have done - took an an ax to a few (great therapy for me, the seats had been in an accident and I was still pretty mad about the whole deal), took a couple out to the range and used them for target practice, and gave one to my brother to play with - don't know what he did with it, but something that rendered it completely destroyed and in pieces, I am sure!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC