3 RF in an 8 Seater Sienna

agent220

Is there a way to get 3 RF car seats in an 8 passenger Sienna without blocking access to the back? It's hard to put an RF in the back since you can't reach to buckle it, and installing a car seat on all middle seats would prevent a side seat from folding down.

Right now the only solution I can think of is putting an infant car seat in the back, 2 RF in the middle row, and folding down a side seat sans car seat to allow for reaching in and clicking in the infant carrier.

Any other creative solutions?

ADS

WhatAboutPuppy

That sounds about right. You could also come in from the back if you wanted. Maybe put your oldest back there who can get in their own seat and once you've buckled the younger two in to their seats in the middle row you could hop in the back and help out the oldest one.
What if you put them all in the back row? It'd be a bit quieter :p

sunnyflower417

I have a 7 seater caravan with a bench. I didn't want the bench, I wanted captains chairs, they didn't have one so I got the bench. I love it! I have 3 RFing, a TF, CS and RN. Two on bench, one in back row behind driver. that way my FF 7 year old is back row behind passenger!

karlatta

I have a 7 passenger, but I have 3 RF in my vehicle.

I have the captain's chair slid over to the middle, which would be like you either removing one of your outboard seats or flipping it forward. The second row has a RF Radian and RF Titan Deluxe. I have a MA RF in the 3rd row, center position. I get in the car next to the MA and sit and buckle DD in. It's not bad at all.

(And I'd suggest removing the seat entirely, versus just folding down every time, unless you have a frequent use for that seat.)

christineka

I have 3 rfers. I put the baby in the keyfit just behind the driver in the middle row. The other two are on the third row, 60 bench, in an evenflo tribute and radian. The older two climb over the baby's seat and I buckle over the seat too. 9 yo dd buckles dd for me most of the time because she sits next to her. I have boosters on the other 3 seats.

NannyMom

How old are the kids going in the 3rd row? Does an adult need to get back there? What you could do is slide the outboard seat(s) forward more. If it's just kids that need to get to the back, they could easily slip through. My 6 and 9 year olds have done that before.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
I have a 7 seater, with the passenger side middle row positioned in the middle. I have my 2 RF Marathons in the 3rd row, both outboard. I either buckle from the back hatch or climb in the side door and reach over and buckle them.

agent220

How old are the kids going in the 3rd row? Does an adult need to get back there? What you could do is slide the outboard seat(s) forward more. If it's just kids that need to get to the back, they could easily slip through. My 6 and 9 year olds have done that before.

My 4 year old slides back there (he's FF but I was wondering if it would be worth it to flip him back RF if he let -- I'm probably getting him a GN to replace his Chase to see if he's happier, but if I could move him back RF since he's only 32 lbs or so he might be more comfortable on long car trips :))

I like to sit in the back with my kids on long car trips. I'd probably have to sit in the way back to reach all kids if they were all RF. And we usually put our suitcases there for our travels, so I'm not sure I can easily get in from the back. And my sister is going to college in my town next year, and I have a feeling she'll be wanting rides back home when we go, so I need to have 3 seats still available in the middle row...

agent220

I either buckle from the back hatch or climb in the side door and reach over and buckle them.

Is that easy enough? I'm short (well under 5 feet) and am not sure how simple it would be.
That is part of my thinking why it might be worth it to put the infant car seat in the back row so I can buckle properly before, and just click it in.

karlatta

Is that easy enough? I'm short (well under 5 feet) and am not sure how simple it would be.
That is part of my thinking why it might be worth it to put the infant car seat in the back row so I can buckle properly before, and just click it in.
I'm tall 5'9" and can't buckle my kids from the back. It's probably more a function of how much stuff I have in my trunk, though. (I keep 2 double strollers and a single back there.)

agent220

I'm tall 5'9" and can't buckle my kids from the back. It's probably more a function of how much stuff I have in my trunk, though. (I keep 2 double strollers and a single back there.)

Which leads me to another thought on my mind...is there a way I can put up netting to avoid flying missles in the case of an accident? I have 2 strollers in the back as well but 2 seats are folded down to leave more room for suitcases when we travel.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Our '05 Sienna has a Toyota cargo net that we can use to hold smaller items, but it wouldn't be big enough to hold more than a smallish umbrella-style stroller, and I doubt it would completely hold a stroller in a severe crash. I like to think that the third row seat, with its relative height above the cargo area floor, will serve as a barrier of sorts to prevent larger items from flying forward and into the passenger compartment during a severe crash. :twocents: If you leave the third row partially folded, then that removes part of that barrier potential from the equation, but you could look into some ratcheting cargo tie-down straps perhaps to use with the strollers and the cargo anchors along the back door sill in the Sienna.

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor

Nope, might not be that easy for your height. I am 6' with loooong arms and legs, so it seems easy to me. Maybe you could sit between the RF seats and buckle the kids that way?

Jennifer mom to my 7

Nope, might not be that easy for your height. I am 6' with loooong arms and legs, so it seems easy to me. Maybe you could sit between the RF seats and buckle the kids that way?

That's what I did when I had my dd rf in the back of the sienna. Sat between her decathlon and my other dd's booster. No problems at all.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC