New baby carrier: EarthCarrier

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
I've got to pimp my friend's new product here. :D

My friend, Terra Carlson, has a new baby carrier: The EarthCarrier. Her carriers are all hand dyed and made from super soft, organic cotton. Her design is great for carrying newborns all the way up to 4 years/45 lb!

ADS

Yoshi

It looks wonderful, too bad I'm done having kids. I'm not so sure about 4 yrs and up to 45 lbs, though. That's like carrying a bag of water softener salt! I would like to see a picture of a large child in one. I imagine you'd have to be pretty big/strong to do that-even on your back that's a lot of weight. But it looks SUPER nice for babies and young toddlers.

UlrikeDG

I haven't gotten to use the EarthCarrier yet, but I have had to carry a 4 year old, and I think having a carrier option would be nice. Most only say they're for use up to 25-35 lb. Sure, most of us aren't going to want to carry a child larger than that very often if we can help it, but it's nice to have the option.

LuvBug

uhoh you did not just say 45lbs! Im worried to use DS's slings too often because he is already over the weight limit. I figure they put that limit as a procaution but that sometimes you can use it longer, but I still worry. I love to put him on my back while we are hiking or site seeing. If I could afford that I would totally get one! But Im saving up for DS's second seat, plus he only rides in it now and then so I couldnt justify it to myself. But I WANT one! :p

She had me right up til I saw the price tag on it. Way too much $$ for my personal sense of value/frugality. My favorite baby carriers with my last couple of kidlets were sarongs-- yes, beach wraps-- purchased for anywhere from $7 to $15. Tie 'em up with a good square knot, and wear like a sling, native-style.

LuvBug

yeah our current mei tei was made my me, my only sewing 'triumph'(and I wouldnt call it a triumph at all) and only cost $1 in fabric because I found it thrift.
Im wondering what the highest weight carrier there is out there, soft or framed?

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
When I have another baby I'm going to have to get someone to help me with carriers and slings because I never got the hang of it with my dd...she hated it and so did I b/c neither of us were comfortable! I wanted it to work, but it didn't. We did like our baby bjorn for grocery shopping, but that killed my back once she was over 18 pounds or so. I really, really, really wanted a sling to work since dd was a crazy nurser and liked to nurse all.day.long. She nursed like an infant right up until I had to wean her at 16 months (had to because of medications I needed to take.) Anyway, that was more info than anyone wanted to know...but I'm just saying...when I have another baby, you guys have to help me!

didymama

yeah our current mei tei was made my me, my only sewing 'triumph'(and I wouldnt call it a triumph at all) and only cost $1 in fabric because I found it thrift.
Im wondering what the highest weight carrier there is out there, soft or framed?

my wraps techinically have no weight limit. it is whatever the user can handle. i think that the highest might be either an ergo or Kelty framed.

UlrikeDG

She had me right up til I saw the price tag on it. Way too much $$ for my personal sense of value/frugality. My favorite baby carriers with my last couple of kidlets were sarongs-- yes, beach wraps-- purchased for anywhere from $7 to $15. Tie 'em up with a good square knot, and wear like a sling, native-style.

I guess it's a matter of perspective. The Ergo is $105 for the organic version, and it's not hand dyed. The Baby Trekker is $100. Didymos run well over $100 in the US (I got mine on eBay when I lived in Germany, so I didn't spend nearly that much), and even my favorite sling, the Maya Wrap, sells for $50! Obviously, you can make your own carrier for a lot less, but the pricing seems comparable to other products on the market, maybe a little low, even.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
wow..looks interesting...but way to expensive......
there are other nice mei tai's out there..even in organic cotton, that cost less.....seems like a nice carrier though, for those who have the $$ to simply pick the one they like best....

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
We were talking about getting something like this for the next time we go hiking ~ Daddy would gladly carry Leila if it means getting around faster than we did last time ... she was sooooo slow! & it was difficult for either of us to carry her on our backs without something like this because doing so prevented us from using our arms to balance :p

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC