Ready for booster after Radian?

U

Unregistered

We just bought a Radian 65 for travel for my DS. He is 4.5 yo about 41 inches tall and 35.5 lbs with a 15" torso, and is even with the second to top slots of the Radian. My husband was able to get a good install in the center of our 2002 Passat (though it hasn't been checked yet by a tech).

My question is whether we should consider selling his Frontier (purchased back in December) and using the Radian as his full time seat until he outgrows it. At that point would he be ready for a booster? Could we then buy him a nice belt positioning booster that we could also use for travel?

From what I've read on this forum, the Frontier will give him about 1 inch of growing room over the Radian, and of course it turns into a nice booster, but it seems that many people are happy using the Radian as their primary seat.

(P.S. I posted a question before on whether to get him a 40 lb lightweight seat for travel, but unfortunately the Uptown we ended up getting didn't allow much growing room so I plan to sell it. He looked even with the second to top slots before the seat was installed, but was almost even with the top slots when it was installed!).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
My best guess is that he will indeed be ready for a good belt-positioning booster when he outgrows the Radian -- he probably has two years left in it, and at 6.5yo and >40#, a booster is a safe and appropriate choice.

my daughter out grew the radian by the time she was 6.5 which I think is an acceptable booster age, she was 60 lbs by then.

They do install very nicely in a passat, we have an 03 and I never have trouble getting them in nice and tight in that car.

kandamom

For most children, I would think so. My 7.5-year-old is 90th percentile for height and still fits with his shoulders under the top harness slots. I think he's got pretty long legs for his height, though. I thinking about a frontier for ds2 before the taller 40 lb rear facing seats came out, but I think I'll be happy we ended up going with the radian for now. I'd rather get him a dedicated booster when the time comes.

Rebecca

K - 7.5, 51.5", 57 lbs
A - 24 months, 37.5", 32 lbs

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC