Is VSA the same as Electronic Stability Control?

steph

Is Vehicle Stability Assist or VSA with traction control the same as Electronic Stability Control?

I'm wondering because the Honda Pilot mentions the VSA but not the ESC and it was my understand that the stability control is what is making these SUVs/cars safer. I'm thinking they are the same thing just a different name:D .

Also is a 4 wheel drive safer than a 2 wheel drive if you live where it doesn't snow at all or rain alot?

Thanks!!!!

ADS

skaterbabs

I don't know the answer to the stability control question, but here's my opinion on 4wd.

Where I live, it rarely snows. When it does, it rarely sticks around for long. But more than once I've had to ue the 4wd on my Jeep to just get up my own (very steep) driveway because the asphalt was covered in gravel and leaves.

ccjones

Steph-

You're right - VSA is Honda's name for ESC. Who knows what they had to be different, it just breeds confusion! LOL

My understanding of the Pilot is that the 4WD is more like AWD, but not really. Makes sense, huh? LOL What I mean is that in normal weather, it drives in 2WD, but in rain and snow, if the Pilot senses the wheels are slipping, then it sends power to the wheel to help the vehicle get traction. Honestly, I am not sure how this differs from ESC (or VSA). Maybe Darren will chime in and explain.

But, the Pilot's 4WD is automatic, in that there's no switch that you need to turn on or off to activate 4WD, like there is in some vehicles. I know the Pilot has a switch to disable the VSA, and there might even be a switch to override the 4WD (i.e, to keep it on or off all the time). I'll check on this for you when I leave for work in a few minutes, and report back later this morning. My DH did a great job of explaining it to me, based on what he read in the manual. Maybe I'll have to finally get around the manual and reading all the non-child restraint chapters! LOL

Lys

Senior Community Member
Yes, VSA is Honda's name for stability control. It has it's own switch to disable it also.
My Pilot is 4wd and it also has it's own switch to use when you get stuck or need traction for snow or gravel. But just driving regularly it is 2wd.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Also is a 4 wheel drive safer than a 2 wheel drive if you live where it doesn't snow at all or rain alot?

Thanks!!!!

We get our share of rain and snow in Chicago, but AWD is not really worth it, in my opinion. I've never once had a problem getting stuck with any of our front wheel drive vehicles. My wife's AWD Subaru Outback can get going a little quicker when it's slippery, but that's not really a safety advantage. Now if you were in a hilly area and might be prone to slipping backward or in a rural area where you might get stuck outright, that might be a safety issue where AWD would help.

If safety in snow/ice is a concern, snow tires are a better solution for many people. Not only will they improve your starting traction like AWD, but they also improve your braking and handling. That is a true safety advantage.

skaterbabs

yeah, our driveway is extremely steep, and several of the access roads to our neighborhood are as well, so there have definately been times where 4wd is necessary. However, my next car will just be front wheel drive.

WESTMICHIGANLEO

VSA has already been answered, and yes it is Honda's name for Stability Control.

The 4wd (AWD) is a great debate. Living right near the shore of Lake Michigan (on the Michigan side of course... hence the name), we get what is called Lake Effect Snow. Basically, the cold air moves over Lake Michigan which is a large body of water that is warmer than the air. That air picks up moisture/water vapor and carries it until it reaches land (close to the lake), then it dumps it all over the place and I have to shovel the sidewalks :mad: , and plow the drive :D .

I swear by AWD or 4wd and will never own anything but (other than my work vehicle). My work vehicle is RWD and horrible in the snow. We have a front wheel drive car (VW) that we are selling, and just replaced w/ the '07 Pilot (A/4 WD). My around town vehicle is a 4wd Explorer. There are days that if it weren't for the traction of these vehicles, we would be stuck at home.

I don't know if they are a necessity in warmer climates, but if you are on the fence, I would say only get it if you plan on any winter vacations to snowy parts of the country. Not really sure why anyone would do that though .... I prefer to go somewhere warm.

Oh, and modern snow tires rule!!! I'm addicted to Bridgestone Blizzaks, no matter what you drive.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
VSA has already been answered, and yes it is Honda's name for Stability Control.

The 4wd (AWD) is a great debate. Living right near the shore of Lake Michigan (on the Michigan side of course... hence the name), we get what is called Lake Effect Snow. Basically, the cold air moves over Lake Michigan which is a large body of water that is warmer than the air. That air picks up moisture/water vapor and carries it until it reaches land (close to the lake), then it dumps it all over the place and I have to shovel the sidewalks :mad: , and plow the drive :D .

I swear by AWD or 4wd and will never own anything but (other than my work vehicle). My work vehicle is RWD and horrible in the snow. We have a front wheel drive car (VW) that we are selling, and just replaced w/ the '07 Pilot (A/4 WD). My around town vehicle is a 4wd Explorer. There are days that if it weren't for the traction of these vehicles, we would be stuck at home.

I don't know if they are a necessity in warmer climates, but if you are on the fence, I would say only get it if you plan on any winter vacations to snowy parts of the country. Not really sure why anyone would do that though .... I prefer to go somewhere warm.

Oh, and modern snow tires rule!!! I'm addicted to Bridgestone Blizzaks, no matter what you drive.

Another factor is that not all AWD systems are created equal. At the bottom of the chain are systems that use less expensive differentials like a viscous limited slip system to send power to the rear wheels. They have nothing to send power from left-to-right. This type of setup is arguably no better than a front wheel drive system with traction control. Either way, it takes only two wheels to lose traction for the vehicle to be stuck.

On the other end of the system are vehicles with advanced mechanical or computer controlled clutch systems front, center and rear. For these systems, it would take all four wheels to lose traction for the vehicle to be stuck, plus the systems respond very quickly and can send a large percentage of the available power to any one wheel at essentially any speed.

Many newer vehicles are using open differentials with an all-wheel traction control system. While this can transfer also power to individual wheels, it is generally limited in how much power can be transferred, can be slower to respond and often has a lower speed limitation to minimize the additional wear on the braking systems.

Whether any of those are needed really depends on your area. As I probably live less than two hours away from WESTMICHIGANLEO, you can see that it can vary signifcantly. A few more feet of average snowfall a year and less efficient suburban road plowing can make a lot of difference. Gas prices and out-of-warranty repair costs may also be a factor in the decision if you are in a region where AWD isn't a necessity.

WESTMICHIGANLEO

Snow Plowing ???????? Our main roads are taken care of fairly well, but it can take a day or two sometimes to get to all of the back county roads.

I am just over 2 hours from Chicago. I avoid that traffic whenever I can. :)
Is the construction on the Dan Ryan Expressway ever gonna end?? :confused:

Correct you are on the difference in AWD systems. Manufacturers continue to develop better/quicker acting systems every year. We came close to buying a Volvo w/ the Haldex system and were very impressed w/ how quick it moved the power from wheel to wheel. It was much better than the old system that was listed AWD, but nearly impossible to get it to send power to the rear axle. The Subaru system is very nice though, I hardly see them in the ditches up here.

steph

It sounds like it isn't necessary for me since I live in sunny California and don't frequent (ok go at all:p ) to snow/cold areas (and if we did we have DH 4wd Honda Pilot for that). We can get some rain storms but it's not like I would be stuck in mud or anything. Anyway, I was wondering if it was actually safer in terms of braking or the ability to not lose control in an accident or is that what the Electronic Stability Control is for? I'm guessing the latter:D

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Snow Plowing ???????? Our main roads are taken care of fairly well, but it can take a day or two sometimes to get to all of the back county roads.

I am just over 2 hours from Chicago. I avoid that traffic whenever I can. :)
Is the construction on the Dan Ryan Expressway ever gonna end?? :confused:

Correct you are on the difference in AWD systems. Manufacturers continue to develop better/quicker acting systems every year. We came close to buying a Volvo w/ the Haldex system and were very impressed w/ how quick it moved the power from wheel to wheel. It was much better than the old system that was listed AWD, but nearly impossible to get it to send power to the rear axle. The Subaru system is very nice though, I hardly see them in the ditches up here.

The sad thing is that many manufacturers are moving away from mechanical systems like Haldex and Torsen differentials to save money by switching to traction control systems. They already have ABS so the cost increase is negligible and most consumers don't care other than to know it has AWD. I remember the Quadra Drive II on the high end Grand Cherokees was one of the best systems available back when we considered it along with our Outback and other models about 7 years ago. I'm not sure if they have retained, improved or decontented models made in the last few years, but it was impressive at the time.

Funny thing about the ditches here. The few vehicles I do see off the side of the interstates are usually around curves and they are usually older SUVs and pickups, probably with worn, older tires on them, too. I would guess all AWD/4WD got them was a false sense of security. What they really needed was to drive appropriately or get a set of snow tires or quality all season tires to improve their handling and braking.

My wife's Outback has the automatic with a nice center differential system, though the front is open and the rear is a viscous limited slip unit. Still better than many other vehicles made at the time and also way more than needed around the suburbs here. In retrospect, we'd rather have a few more miles per gallon, less maintenance and less potential repair costs where we live.

We don't get much lake effect snow here and I see plenty of older cars with no traction control getting around with no problem other than taking a few more seconds to get going when its icy. As I said, need varies a lot with where you live plus how and where you drive. For many drivers, FWD is adequate and traction control plus newer, quality all-season tires make it very reasonable in mixed conditions. For most of the rest, a set of good snow tires will not only provide the necessary traction but also improve handling and braking as well. If you drive through unplowed or hilly areas, then you pretty much have to judge yourself if you really need AWD. Looking to see if friends and neighbors manage without AWD is usually a pretty good method.

twokidstwodogs

Darren, what extra maintenance/repair costs have you found with your Outback in virtue of its being AWD? I ask, because my family's experience with Subarus has been that they are extremely reliable. In 120K miles in my Forester, I never had any problems that I would think could be attributed to AWD vs. FWD.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Darren, what extra maintenance/repair costs have you found with your Outback in virtue of its being AWD? I ask, because my family's experience with Subarus has been that they are extremely reliable. In 120K miles in my Forester, I never had any problems that I would think could be attributed to AWD vs. FWD.

For regular maintenance, you have to change the differential fluids about as often as you would change fluid in the transmission. I did that myself, because the dealer wanted a couple hundred dollars. It wasn't awful, but a lot more work than changing the oil.

So far, we've had no maintenance issues in 80k miles, either. There's still a lot more complexity coming from those systems that don't exist in a FWD vehicle. So, there is the potential for additional repair costs. I suppose if you have a vehicle that tends to be very reliable for their AWD systems or has an extended powertrain warranty, maybe it's not so much of an issue.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC