Movies and Commercials

tjham

I get so tired of seeing carseat misuse on TV (and so does any one around me who has to listen to me...)

Just today there was the new Wendy's commercial with 3 people in the backseat swaying back and forth. Not one is buckled in. :mad: I emailed them:

I am APPALLED at your new commercial with three adults swaying back and forth in the back seat of a vehicle, totally unrestrained, no seat belts in sight. How dangerous! Don't you realize that more than 80% of people wear their seat belts now and the number is rising? This commercial may have had its place 15 years ago but get with the present! Look at the Sonic commercials. The actors are belted, even parked and eating their food! Guess I'll be going to Sonic more now!

Then my 5 yr old granddaughter and I watched "To Grandma's House We Go" with the Olsen twins (movie is probably 15 yrs old). First they showed the twins in a man's lap in the front seat of an RV. :eek: I went off about how dangerous that was. I almost said, "I bet their mommy would be mad if she saw that." But I didn't. Just as well, because later they showed the mommy doing the same thing!

ADS

lovinwaves

I saw the Wendy's commercial too, but to be honest I really didn't even think about them not having seatbelts on. Good for you though sending them a message ;)

abacus2

That commercial has been playing constantly and it's been bugging me too, although I haven't contacted them. They probably wouldn't be to worried about my threat to stop eating there 4-5 times a year.

gobsmacked

I watched Gilmore Girls a couple of weeks ago and was happy to see them put the 4 year old in a harnessed seat and not a booster, but then they go and show them pulling out of the drive and the straps are so loose they're just hanging there, and the chest clip is nowhere near her chest.

LuvBug

I saw that commercial as well and the first thing that popped into my head was seatbelts, but then I looked at the car and thought to myself maybe it is all lapbelts and they went with an older car so they could show them swaying without showing unused seatbelts, kwim? but then there may not be a seatbelt at all lol! That is just what popped into my head, that they chose that car to get around seatbelts so they could sway(not so they didnt step on car safety toes, but just so they could sway lol!)

jamijesse

This reminds of Stuart Little 2. In one part they have their daughter who looks to me to be 2 or so in an infant carrier. They all jump into a taxi and just sit ther carrier on the seat and go. You know I didn't even think to look at how they had the harness, I was to busy thinking how ridiculous that big kid looked in an infant carrier. Her head and arms both hung over about a foot. Don't these people know anything?

drey

This reminds of Stuart Little 2. In one part they have their daughter who looks to me to be 2 or so in an infant carrier. They all jump into a taxi and just sit ther carrier on the seat and go. You know I didn't even think to look at how they had the harness, I was to busy thinking how ridiculous that big kid looked in an infant carrier. Her head and arms both hung over about a foot. Don't these people know anything?

Oh, this is too funny. I just watched this movie this past weekend, and thought the same thing!! The poor kid!! And, the taxi driver was driving like a nut, and they were all swaying around in the back seat. I remember thinking, just wait, that carseat's gonna fly! :eek:

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
Has anyone seen Big Love on HBO? There was one episode in the 1st season that had a mom holding a baby on her lap in the front seat and another episode with forward facing seats that looked like they were reclined - it was too hard to see how they were being used, but I was glad that they were at least using them. The baby on the mom's lap was the worst though!!!

mamato2

Went on a field trip to the fire station with dd and her class the other day. The first thing they did was watch a safety video with Sparky the dog as the main character. The opening scene was Sparky driving to a fire in the truck with a lap belt only. :eek: It was a well done little video, went from A-Z, with different rules and guidelines for each letter but all I could think about was 'Sparky needs a shoulder belt!'. I doubt a single kid noticed though...
C.

Alicia-N-2SafeBugs

Senior Community Member
Dh and I were watch Little People, Big World on TLC sometimes. The dad hardly ever wears his seatbelt. The 15yo boys don't wear their seatbelts when dad is driving, but do wear them when mom is driving. It drives me nuts b/c this is a reality show...not a commercial or movie that is staged!

Simplysomething

I get so tired of seeing carseat misuse on TV (and so does any one around me who has to listen to me...)

Just today there was the new Wendy's commercial with 3 people in the backseat swaying back and forth. Not one is buckled in. :mad: I emailed them:

I am APPALLED at your new commercial with three adults swaying back and forth in the back seat of a vehicle, totally unrestrained, no seat belts in sight. How dangerous! Don't you realize that more than 80% of people wear their seat belts now and the number is rising? This commercial may have had its place 15 years ago but get with the present! Look at the Sonic commercials. The actors are belted, even parked and eating their food! Guess I'll be going to Sonic more now!

Is that the one with the song...stuck in the middle with you?

It's not new. lol.

(I couldn't sit in my car and eat belted in, I don't know why. Perhaps it's small car thing...lol)

I thought the car in the commercial looked like a taxi of some sort, wasn't it yellow? lol

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Dh and I were watch Little People, Big World on TLC sometimes. The dad hardly ever wears his seatbelt. The 15yo boys don't wear their seatbelts when dad is driving, but do wear them when mom is driving. It drives me nuts b/c this is a reality show...not a commercial or movie that is staged!

I agree, the seatbelt usage/misuse on that show drives me crazy. It bugs me too when their "little" twin rides up front when there's open seats available in the back of their van/SUV. He may be 15 or 16, but he's probably a candidate for a booster seat, and definitely too short to safely ride in the front seat in front of an active passenger side airbag with the shoulder belt tucked behind him or at chin level, or unbelted altogether, yikes, yikes. :eek:

I've not seen most of the commercials because I usually don't pay much attention to commercials or go do something else during commercial breaks, lol, or DH zaps through them so fast on the DVR that I never see them. :rolleyes:

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I hate that commercial!!

I do notice commercials and often find them irresponsible in their portrayal of vehicle safety. The Wendy's commercial is just one more example...

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC