HWH/HBB Help (Canada)

ontariomama

I'm new to the carseat game and I noticed something with my brother's boys last weekend. They are 5.5 yrs old, 48" and 50 lbs and 3.5 yrs old, not sure how tall and 40 lbs. He is quite tall like his brother, I think they are following similar growth patterns... they are big boys :) Anyway, the 5.5 is in a booster and the 3.5 year old has just outgrown his harnessed seat and is using a booster. I happened to peek into the car while he was in it and he did NOT fit the booster well. At all!!
I know that it would be better for the 3.5 yr old to be in a harnessed seat, but I'm not sure how receptive my brother would be to this. I'm going to try... just not guaranteeing results. Money is very tight for him, so could I get some recommendations for both a cheapish hwh and for a hbb for the 3.5 yr old.
Thanks!

ADS

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
For the younger boy, you could look at the Evenflo combo seats. (Chase/Generations.) They have reasonably tall top slots, a 47lb weight limit and are pretty budget friendly. You don't want your brother using them as boosters, though - they reportedly make pretty poor ones.

Zellers has the 3-in-1 seats on sale until Thursday (tomorrow :eek:) for $110. In the flyer, they're listed as being the 40lb limit seats, and if that's *actually* the case, then they're not a solution, but if they are the *new* 50lb limit seats, they could be a good option too.

For either of those harnessed seats, you'd have to confirm that your nephew isn't too tall (through the torso) for them.

For HBB, the Turbobooster is generally the budget choice. It's on sale at Zellers this week too. However, it does have a minimum 4yo age limit on it.

HTH! :)

ontariomama

Thanks :) Unfortunately this will have to wait for two weeks so we'll miss the sale. We live 1.5 hrs away from each other and will be seeing each other in August for our vacation. I wanted to have some recommendations for him when I talk to him then and can go shopping with them (and maybe Aunt Wendy will pretend she is Santa).

Also, do you know what the specific law is in Ontario? I know that there is one for boosters but I'm not sure if it's by weight or by age (or both).

Thanks again!

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It would seem the Ontario law is by weight, but they also include "proper use" in that requirement (not included in the guidelines below,) so if a manufacturer puts an age restriction on their product, the user is legally bound to respect it. (Like the Turbobooster's 4yo restriction.)

Ontario
Children must ride in a rear-facing car seat until they are a minimum of
20 pounds (9 kg). • Children who are at least 20 pounds (9 kg) but less than
40 pounds (18 kg) must ride in an appropriate car seat. • Children must ride
in a booster seat until they are a minimum of 4 feet, 9 inches (145 cm) tall,
or a minimum of 80 pounds (36 kg), or a minimum of 8 years old.

HTH! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC