Graco Turbo Booster and Sunshine Kids Monterey Booster Questions

allcash

Trying to decide between the high back Turbo Booster or Monterey for 5 yr old son 49"/49 lbs.
If anyone could help answer a few questions I'd appreciate it.
Graco Turbo Booster:
1. Is this wider, narrower, or about the same as the Monterey in the shoulder area (Monterey is adjustable I believe)?
2. Do different fabric patterns represent different (i.e. older) models? I ask this because I saw a reference in a review to the reviewer receiving an outdated model by mistake; just want to make sure there's not a specific pattern/model # prone to problems.
3. Specs state up to 57" tall--is that correct in your experience?

Sunshine Kids Monterey:
1. Can your child see out the window or to either side with the big wings on the head area? My son likes to talk to his little sister and looking at the pictures it appears children are all but in a neck brace in this. Does look comfy tho :)

Thank you!

ADS

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I just posted to you in the other thread. My child is 48" and 50# and there is much more room in the Monterey. I'll see if I can convince her to let me take pictures later.

ginny4

there is more room in all aspects in the monterey over the turbo.

the 57" seemed to be quite accurate for my boys. but really it all has to do with torso height. not all kids are gonna make it to 57" & some will be over 57" when they outgrow it.

the wings are definitly deeper than the turbo but my kids can still chat with their next door neighbor. DS2 moves his head out of the wings mroe often than DS1 did. so he just needs a reminder every now & then to sit back. btw he did the same thing on the turbo as well so its' nothing new.

Stretchy Glue

My daughter is teetering around 53" and I took the back off the Monterey because she had less than 1/2 inch. She outgrew the Turbo a year and a half ago with the back. She has never complained about the head wings, and seems to be able to see the sights reasonably well when we drive.

Between the two, I'd buy another Monterey 5 times before a Turbo. I actually like the turbo for small kids, and I really appreciate Graco maintaining a reasonable price, but the amount of time a kid gets out of the Monterey is pretty hard to match.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
I am a terrible, terrible photographer so I apologize in advance.

Child is 48" and 50#.

Monterey, 3rd of 11 headrest settings, width at its widest (which is not how she rides, but a larger child has been using this seat for carpool).

monterey.jpg

Turbobooster, 3rd of 6 headrest settings.

turbobooster.jpg

kandamom

Between the two, I'd buy another Monterey 5 times before a Turbo. I actually like the turbo for small kids, and I really appreciate Graco maintaining a reasonable price, but the amount of time a kid gets out of the Monterey is pretty hard to match.

Stretchy Glue says it very well.:D

I recently purchased a Monterey for my son. He had been using a turbo booster. As others have mentioned, the Monterey is more roomy. The seat is deeper as well, which is the main reason I bought it for my ds. He absolutely wouldn't sit still in his turbo booster. I thought I was going to have to harness him again, but I told him I'd let him try the Monterey first. He sits perfectly in it. I was concerned that the head wings would bother him, but he loves them. He is so much more comfortable in the Monterey. I don't know how long it will last him height-wise, as he has long legs and is only 51.5".

Rebecca

K - 7.5, 51.5", 57 lbs, Monterey
A - 24 months, 37.5", 32 lbs, rf in a Radian

allcash

there is more room in all aspects in the monterey over the turbo.

the 57" seemed to be quite accurate for my boys. but really it all has to do with torso height. not all kids are gonna make it to 57" & some will be over 57" when they outgrow it.

the wings are definitly deeper than the turbo but my kids can still chat with their next door neighbor. DS2 moves his head out of the wings mroe often than DS1 did. so he just needs a reminder every now & then to sit back. btw he did the same thing on the turbo as well so its' nothing new.
Thank you. Since the Turbo has the same potential issue (child moving forward to see) I do prefer the sturdier look of the Monterey.

My daughter is teetering around 53" and I took the back off the Monterey because she had less than 1/2 inch. She outgrew the Turbo a year and a half ago with the back. She has never complained about the head wings, and seems to be able to see the sights reasonably well when we drive.

Thank you. I know I'm silly but I was kind of hoping for the Turbo being closer in size to the Monterey because I love those lizards :)
I am a terrible, terrible photographer so I apologize in advance.

Child is 48" and 50#.

Monterey, 3rd of 11 headrest settings, width at its widest (which is not how she rides, but a larger child has been using this seat for carpool).

monterey.jpg

Turbobooster, 3rd of 6 headrest settings.

turbobooster.jpg
Thank you so much for the photos--so easy to see now that we really need the Monterey! Thanks for the crashtest video as well.

Britax Parkway SG is another fantastic option that just came out and might be worth considering... here's a preview of it... http://carseatblog.com/?p=2996
I love the clip! I'll look at more reviews; on first look it appears too narrow. Thank you.
Stretchy Glue says it very well.:D

I recently purchased a Monterey for my son. He had been using a turbo booster. As others have mentioned, the Monterey is more roomy. The seat is deeper as well, which is the main reason I bought it for my ds. He absolutely wouldn't sit still in his turbo booster. I thought I was going to have to harness him again, but I told him I'd let him try the Monterey first. He sits perfectly in it. I was concerned that the head wings would bother him, but he loves them. He is so much more comfortable in the Monterey. I don't know how long it will last him height-wise, as he has long legs and is only 51.5".

Rebecca

K - 7.5, 51.5", 57 lbs, Monterey
A - 24 months, 37.5", 32 lbs, rf in a Radian

Thank you! The deeper seat is another plus for the Monterey.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC