Vent Unbelievable

myliljunebugs

I actually had to argue with a cop about OVER restraining my child. He tried to say that the law states you must use a seat to 6 yrs or 60lbs (true) and that you can't use one after. :eek: I educated him on parents choice to use a seat longer than that. So then he started arguing with me that DS was too big for a harnessed seat. After a bit of arguing I invited him to read the sticker on the side of the seat and tell me how he thought DS was too big for it :mad: He finally left me alone, but not before stating that he hoped I didn't get into a car accident and put DS at "terrible risk" by having him in that seat. UnFREAKINGbelievable.

ADS

monstah

I imagine officers would be the happiest to see kids "over"restrained considering they respond to car accidents.

Did your DS hear the officer say you were putting him "at terrible risk"?

myliljunebugs

Yes, he heard, and of course coupled with the fact that his cousin (same age and size) doesn't ride in anything he is flipping out. But I have *mostly* talked him off the ledge LOL. I already called up to the PD and talked to the chief. He'll fix it. Teeny tiny town that I grew up near and was friendly with the chief there as a kid, so he is listening at least. He told me if I can't get DS to understand that he is very safe the way he is to bring him in and he'll chat with him :D He's a sweet old guy

MomToEliEm

How would he explain the booster laws in other states that go up to 8 or 9 years of age? How can a child unsafe in his state in a booster at age 7, yet in another state, it is illegal if the child isn't in a booster seat?

Hopefully he will figure out that he is wrong and change his thinking.

myliljunebugs

I'm thinking if he had just been in a booster he probably wouldn't have said anything, but he was in a Regent. Doubtful he has ever seen one of those before....

Whoah! Hopefully the chief talks some sense into that guy (the officer). Prolly wouldn't hurt to have the chief talk to your son too.

itzmeigh

Was it a traffic stop? If it had been a traffic stop I would have told him to just give me a ticket and I'd take it up with the judge in court. Then I would have been over prepared to rip him a new one in the court room in front of a judge. What better way to learn a lesson!

I am always surprised at how little many cops know about child restrainst. Not that I expect them to be able to identify every seat on the market... But I would like them to just have some knowelege about what possible type of restraints they may encounter.

myliljunebugs

No, it was a seatbelt check. They just passed it to be a primary offense to not wear your seatbelt. So in this town they were stopping everyone coming through to make sure they were. I don't think he will make the same mistake twice. Although I sincerely doubt he will see another one anyway. This area you are lucky if they use anything, much less above and beyond law.

vonfirmath

*sigh* I hope that never happens to us. 1) I don't argue with cops and 2) I'd have a hard time convincing my husband to let our children remain "over restrained" after a cop said otherwise. They are the authority when it comes to cars, safety, etc.

Laurette

As the wife of a cop I can tell you that there is NOTHING in their training that teaches about carseats! They only know what the law states so... and some may not interepret it correctly, KWIM? I'm glad you stood up for yourself.

myliljunebugs

Yeah, I don't expect policeman to know much (if anything) about car seats except what the law says, I guess I just never expected THAT! LOL. It's fine, just freaked me out that he might be telling unsuspecting people who don't know as much things like that and them taking their kids out of seats. It's all good now :)

lovinwaves

Geez. Good for you though, for holding your ground.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who told me it was illegal for me to rear-face my kids past one year and 20lbs :whistle:

kidzndogz

That's happened to me before too when Ava was RFing.

I just have come to the conclusion that police officers are great for keeping the community safe and for calling when I need help, but they are people just like you and me...not some awe-inspiring gods that make no mistakes. I'm grateful to them for showing up when someone breaks into my house but I have no more respect for their opinion on car seats than some joe blow on the street. They're human. They are my equals. And I have no problem questioning and/or disagreeing with them respectfully.

poohbearkrazy

I actually had to argue with a cop about OVER restraining my child. He tried to say that the law states you must use a seat to 6 yrs or 60lbs (true) and that you can't use one after. :eek: I educated him on parents choice to use a seat longer than that. So then he started arguing with me that DS was too big for a harnessed seat. After a bit of arguing I invited him to read the sticker on the side of the seat and tell me how he thought DS was too big for it :mad: He finally left me alone, but not before stating that he hoped I didn't get into a car accident and put DS at "terrible risk" by having him in that seat. UnFREAKINGbelievable.

This didn't by chance happen in Johnson did it? LOL I was also stopped at a routine trafic stop last night to check seat belts just under the overpass in Johnson. The officer tried to tell me that my 18 month old who weighs 31 pounds should be forward facing because he was too big to rear face any longer. I told him that the seat holds to 35 pounds rf, but because my ds is very tall and leggy he argued and said that he was too tall. I refused to turn my son and told him that I wasn't going to because there was nothing saying that I HAD too. I told him if he wanted to write me a ticket for it he could. But he decided not too. Ugh!!! Why can't they take care of the people who are really doing things the wrong way instead of picking on the few of us who are trying to protect our children.

myliljunebugs

No, but close! Cave Springs. I avoid Johnson like the plague. I swear they will pull you over for sneezing while driving in that town! LOL

simplychels

Geez. Good for you though, for holding your ground.

Reminds me of a friend of mine who told me it was illegal for me to rear-face my kids past one year and 20lbs :whistle:

I have been told that more then a few times. Once was even told my daughters life insurance would be void if she passed away while rf'ing past a year old. ignorance at its finest!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC