Baby on Mom's Lap (very sad)

ADS

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
In my mind it's so much worse when there's a car seat in the vehicle and it's just not being used. :( I convinced some parents to put their kid in to his carseat as they were leaving the parking lot with him on mom's lap one evening. Makes one wonder how common of an occurence it is to hold a baby despite a perfectly good carseat. :(

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
That makes me sad and angry at the same time.

It also makes me want to work harder. She obviously didn't understand the REASON to use a car seat. There is much work to do.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
The awesomely tragic part is the backseat doesn't look like it suffered much damage..chances are, even in a basically okay installed seat, the child could have lived.

April

The awesomely tragic part is the backseat doesn't look like it suffered much damage..chances are, even in a basically okay installed seat, the child could have lived.

Yes, this. That accident was incredibly close to where we live. Maybe 30 minutes away. :(

Spam

So sad :( I've worked in Migrant Head Start (my mom and sis still do) and there are so many who do not use any child seats. The state has seat giveaways just for the families and still they don't use them. When we drop them off the bus (where they are all restrained) sometimes they just basically through them in the backseat and take off. Some families do use them, but I see way more that don't. And I know it's not just migrant workers :(

canadiangie

Another real life crash scenerio where an infant seat stayed intact, at a higher rate of speed, 50 mph.

Very sad about the baby. So very sad...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member

Yep. I remember learning in class that "the number one job of a seatbelt is containment." Meaning, staying in the car is half the battle for survival. :( I'm betting a child that was buckled in at all could have stayed in the car and may have been injured but probably would have survived.

waterbaby

Sad and infuriating all at the same time. I would darn well expect it to be common knowledge that a baby on your lap is not safe for anyone in the car. But like a PP said, there is still so much work to be done.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC