Buckling Themselves?

Mom2One+One

How old/when do you start teaching/allowing your kids to buckle themselves?

I'd like to show DS how (he's 3.5) but I'm afraid that if I show him it will lead to him figuring out how to UNbuckle. I'm quite content knowing that he's contained in his seat until *I* get him out, lol.

ADS

mommaon112903

:eek: Josef was never able to get himself out of his GN and still not able to get in/out of the Regent. I am not sure if he just does not want to or truely can not.

He can unbuckle himself out of the Monterey but is having trouble buckling himself in properly still. Slowly we are working on this!

mom2juliarose

Edited: Darn! Read that too fast and read it in reverse!! Sorry! As for teaching her when to buckle, I'd say she learned a few months ago (4.5?). She still has a hard time buckling herself into the Regent, but she loves to try--and I always double-check!

I started teaching DD around 3.5. We made up a code for when it's OK for her to unbuckle herself. I say "red button OK, black button OK" (crotch buckle, chest clip). If I forget to say it, when I go around to her side to get her out, she's still there, buckled in. She'll say, "You didn't SAY it!!"

But I think it depends on the child... I trusted her and she has been very trustworthy about it--has NEVER tried to unbuckle before the car is fully stopped and I've given her the OK.

Shaunam

DS is 4 1/2 and JUST starting to figure it out. He can't do it every time. But he's old enough to understand not to unbuckle unless I say it's ok. Even at 3 1/2 he knew the importance of being buckled.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think Piper may have learned to unbuckle first. But about 4.5 was when she learned, maybe a bit sooner.

Spin off from the TM thread about this? hehe

Wendy

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Are you on TM? trianglemommies.com? You may be a bit far out for it, but it's hard to tell in the coastal/piedmont borders.

Wendy

Mom2One+One

Are you on TM? trianglemommies.com? You may be a bit far out for it, but it's hard to tell in the coastal/piedmont borders.

Wendy

I'm not, but I will def. check it out! Never come across it before. Thx!

ETA: I applied and already got a response. I'm too far :(
None of their "sister communities" include my county either. Bummer.

Last edited:

monstah

My kids insist on buckling themselves in. Every. time. :rolleyes:
Right now DD1 (22 months) can't get the crotch buckle but always does her chest clip. DS (almost 4) has been buckling himself in for probably 2 years now. He can also unbuckle himself from any car seat he is in but never does it until I tell him it's OK.

I always loosen their harness and I insist that DS doesn't touch the adjuster. Only I am allowed to and he understands that.

rochelle

DH taught my boys to buckle themselves in their scenera at 2. They were able to unbuckle themselves before three.

They can buckle themselves into their frontier but not unbuckle.

Ali

DD can completely buckle herself in the GN. I always check though.

She can do the chest clip on her FR.

She can only unbuckle the chest clip on both (sometimes - sometimes she decides she "can't" do it herself :rolleyes:).

Evolily

C can do his chest clip. Can't do the buckle. Can't unbuckle or unclip either. A can't do it, and he wants to get out of the seat so I'm happy with him not learning for a while :whistle: .

I think it's one of those things that aren't essential skills to learn for most kids.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Dd started buckling herself shortly after she was able to loosen and partially unbuckle herself - which was just this spring after she moved to the Nautilus. She can't tighten herself though, so I always double check that the straps aren't twisted and then tighten her up.

She's great about not unbuckling until the car is stopped.

Ds can buckle his chest clip and I imagine given enough time might be able to buckle his buckle, but he's never really tried thus far.

Stresch

My daughter can get herself entirerly buckled and mostly tight. She also know that her straps can't be twisted. That's new within the past 3 months. She can undo the chest clip on one of the Marathons, but the other is too stiff. There is no way she can unbuckle the crotch strap though. Believe me she's tried. She can loosen herself, but has strict instructions not to do it while the car is moving which, so far, she has followed.

southpawboston

our kids, now 3 and 4.75 yo, both buckle themselves perfectly. they wanted to learn themselves. it started with doing the chest clip, then the buckles, and lastly they can even cinch themselves to a an acceptable tightness!!! they do everything right-- armpit height chest clip, shoulder pads all the way up at the shoulders, no twists in straps, and properly cinched. we still have to unbuckle them.

they also ask to make sure that everyone (including mom and dad) are properly buckled and cinched before the car moves! :)

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
DD tried to buckle herself gosh..forever, lol.. but she couldnt do the bottom buckle in the vision, but once we got the nauti (i.e. the easiest buckle on earth) she was able to buckle it and unbuckle it (only at appropriate times!) completely by herself within like a week or so and she was just shy of 3.5 She has buckled hersefl since then.

aeormsby

My Dd is 3.5 and has been doing the chest clip since she was probably 2 (often insisting on doing it herself). In her Marathon she can completely buckle and get the harness tightened to almost tight enough. She has been able to unbuckle the MA for a few months and knows not to do it until I tell her. In her Frontier that she's had for about 6 weeks it's much harder for her to buckle & unbuckle. Not sure if it's the double click buckle or what. She also can't reach the harness adjuster in the Frontier.

Just beware, once he knows how to buckle he may insist on doing it himself and it will take you at least 5 min longer every time you get in the car :p

Ann

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC