top tether anchors for 91 plymouth grand voyager

ts_peach

i've been trying to info on where the top tether anchors might be located in a van we were just given. i've done several searchs but can't come up with anything. i'm going to call the dealership tommorrow and see if anyone has any info there but if anyone has a part number or knows where the anchor screws to screw in bolts for anchors might be in a 1991 plymouth grand voyager i'd love to know. i know dealerships sometimes can be clueless. we have two buckets seats in the middle row and a third row bench. i've kind of looked around to see if i can see if any are there and don't see any i think. i've also checked the owners manual but it doesn't give much info besides saying it's possible.

thanks,
Anne-Marie

ADS

scatterbunny

No LATCH manual so I can't help you with part #'s but I wanted to let you know that in the meantime, if you need to use carseats that use a top tether and only need to seat 2-3 people in the rear for now, you can tether a carseat in the second row to a third row seatbelt. This is permitted and talked about in the tech LATCH manual.

Pictures of how to do it:

Tether hooked to lapbelt's buckle tongue (male end)
787b0489.jpg

Lapbelt buckled; tether hooked directly to lapbelt webbing (I prefer this method because it positions the tether strap more in-line with the carseat)
82d8ee86.jpg

jen_nah

CPST Instructor
My LATCH manual does not show tether hooks in your year model. The part number is 05017529AA for both 2nd row caption seats and all positions in the 3rd row. Also DaimlerChrysler will install tether anchors for free of charge. Let the dealer know it is Technical Service Bulletin 23-08-00.

ts_peach

thank you for the good info. i called and the van goes in on wed to have them installed. the TSB 23-08-00 rev A made it sound like parts and labor should be both free but rev b wasn't so clear.i guess we'll see. the anchors were only $12 but i'm having them installed in all positions because we use almost all the seats or might need to move them to different locations.

anyways, thanks for the help. this board is a great resource!

Last edited:

ts_peach

ok so i think the dealership is giving me the runaround. i had called and talk to parts and service on mon and made an appointment to bring it in today (wed). i told them i wanted all positions done and they said they had the parts and no problem. and definetly the labor was covered they weren't sure about parts but they were only 12.10 each.

so when i get there today, first they tell me that the vechicle has to be under warranty for the Technical Service Bulletin to apply and not be charged for parts and labor. then they actually read the bulletin and come to the consenses that yes both are to be covered. they they tell me only one but when they read it again it allows for two installs. and then someone says that it can only be the second row seats but since the latch manual says same part for third and second row seating i challanged them on that. then they think they aren't part of the program that covers this kind of thing but yes it's decided they are. then we have to order the parts, but someone says the parts are already ordered. aghhh. they've never done a tether install and i think this is where the problem lies, they don't know exactly where to put them, but i don't know how to find that info for them.

so finally the take the van and the kids and i head to the waitng area. we're there like an hour and they call me over and say that they only had one anchor kit and they didn't want to install it now and take a seat out and then have to have me come back for the second one so they'll call me when the part comes in to make antoher appointment.

i just had to vent somewhere about it and figured you'd be good listeners here. i'm also almost 39 weeks pregnant and been up half the night with labor pains so i'm tired and grumpy but i thought i had a pleasant enough attitude towards them all.

do you think i should call daimian/chrysler headquarters and double check on where the anchors can be placed so when i go back i can have them put them where i want them? it would basically be my recommendation against what they think otherwise.

i'm hoping that if they install in the second and thrid row drivers side that i can see where they go and install them myself on the passenger side. i only have one FF right now but my son will soon need to be turned FF once he hits 35 lbs.

sorry for the long post...

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
When I needed tether anchors installed the dealership was clueless -- I called the manufacturer, they called the dealership & straightened everything out.... It can't hurt to call the manufacturer, except to maybe waste time on hold :rolleyes: ;)

abacus2

Too bad you don't live near Dayton, TN. Dayton's Dodge dealer has the best service department I've ever delt with. I never took my car to dealer service; I can't afford to pay double for all my car repairs, but I had a check engine light error that kept coming back even after I had spent over $500 at two different repair shops. So I went to my local dealer in Dayton and they fixed my problem correctly for $85. I've since taken my car back to them several times; they always are straight with me (letting me know if they're not sure about something, helping me narrow down which repairs are really necessary and which can be overlooked), and have never charged me a higher price than I would have expected from an independent shop.

When I was looking to get the remaining two tether anchors installed in my Intrepid (we did one ourselves before we knew they could be free), I called Dodge/Chrysler corporate to ask about free tether anchor installs. Several customer service reps conversed for a while to determine what I was talking about and came back and said, "Since your (9 yr old) car isn't under warranty, that isn't something we would do."

Since I knew tether anchor installs had nothing to do with warranties, I called the dealer to see if they could find correct information for me. The person I talked to hadn't heard of tether anchor retrofits, but after he looked around for maybe 2 minutes, he came back and said, "yeah, we do that, it's a program called Fit For A Kid." About a week later (when the parts arrived), I took my car in and they sent me on my way with my free tether anchors after a couple hours.

ts_peach

i called chrysler headquarters today and got an 877 number for fit for a kid which is no longer in service. i called back looking for more info and got the 800 seat check number which isn't what i'm looking for either. so i dont' know who to talk to at the headquarters who could help. since neither customer satisfaction person could direct me in the right way.

i called another local dealership that's a bit farther away to see if their service department had ever done a retrofit but no luck. i might try a couple more just to see if any one experienced has done it. it can't be that hard, could it? just find the correct info on where to put them would be the hardest part.

abacus2

Maybe if you call corporate customer service and ask to speak with someone about the specific Technical Service Bulletin and the trouble you're having getting the dealer to follow through you can find a customer service rep who will actually help you. You might also try contacting your local Safe Kids coordinator; maybe they can help you. Good luck.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC