How do you feel about using CA seat to TOP of headrest RF?

Mommy0608

The Safety 1st Complete Air allows the seat to be used RF until the child's head reaches the TOP of the headrest (assuming other limits are still followed), as opposed to the typical 1" rule we see on most seats. How do you feel about this? Would you use it until the top of your child's head reaches the top of the headrest, or will you stick with the 1" rule?

We've already discussed the 40" RF rule, so that's not what this is about... I just want to know how you feel about going all the way to the top of the headrest. Thanks!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I would be fine with that. Piper's Advantage back in the day allowed I believe for RF use to the top of the headrest, not the shell. The 1" is very conservative, and while with carseats its better to err on the side of caution, I think for most kids the head to the shell is fine. Actually, I can't think of any kids who wouldn't be. LOL

Wendy

Mommy0608

Thanks. That's what I was thinking too. It's just strange (to me) because so many of the other seats that I'm familiar with have the 1" rule. Perhaps it is quite conservative though, and meant as an added buffer for those who have looser harness straps. My kids' harnesses are tight of course, so I can't really see the ramping up being much of a concern. I just wanted to pose the question to see what other opinions are out there. :)

I must say I'm very excited about this seat, and can't wait until I receive them. Jessica knows she's getting a new seat and keeps asking about it. She doesn't have a concept of time. :p

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I know it's allowed, so I wouldn't outright recommend that anyone NOT do it.

However, for my own kid, I wouldn't.

The problem is that the test bench is just a sled, not an actual back seat. So while the seat might pass testing, I don't know how it would react in a real car, where the child restraint might over-rotate into the seat in front of it. Even just a slight bit of ramping, and my kid's head is smashed into the front seat. And the heavier the kid and taller the kid/shell, the more I'd worry about it.

I'm probably worrying too much, but it just doesn't sit well with me.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
honestly, the air protect DOESN'T allow the childs head to be anywhere NEAR the top of the headrest, if you are following the manual, if you ALSO follow their 40 inch rule. Now, yes, of COURSE i understand that proportions are very different from child to child, but even with the longest-torsoed, giraffe-necked, shortest-legged child in the WORLD, there is absolutely NO WAY In HELL that *ANY* child's head gets anywhere NEAR the top of the shell if they are ALSO under 40 inches. nope, sorry, ain't going to happen. impossible.
I am extremely torn on this issue.

Mommy0608

honestly, the air protect DOESN'T allow the childs head to be anywhere NEAR the top of the headrest, if you are following the manual, if you ALSO follow their 40 inch rule. Now, yes, of COURSE i understand that proportions are very different from child to child, but even with the longest-torsoed, giraffe-necked, shortest-legged child in the WORLD, there is absolutely NO WAY In HELL that *ANY* child's head gets anywhere NEAR the top of the shell if they are ALSO under 40 inches. nope, sorry, ain't going to happen. impossible.
I am extremely torn on this issue.

Yes, I know. That's why I said this isn't about the 40" limit... I believe there was already a thread discussing this. I'm talking about what those of us would do if we chose to ignore the stated 40" limit. ;)

That 40" limit is so unreasonable for the shell height.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
i know you said you were disregarding the 40 inch rule, but i guess i fel like the issues aren't mutually exclusive, if that makes sense? the air protect is VERY clear, in the,manual and from what we have heard from reps thus far, that the "even with the top of the shell" rule ..*ONLY APPLIES*, IF the child is ALSO under 40 inches. so in effect, I don't think they ARE okaying for a child's head to be even with top of the shell, since it's physically impossible to do.
sort of like how my boss says that we can wear shorts to work....on days ending in the letter "w". LOL!!!

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I would use it until the head is even with.

"for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back"
- American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement

I'm not sure when the 1 inch thing became an official rule, rather than a sign to start researching a new seat.

For that matter, I'm not sure I understand the logic that it is better to turn a child ffing (which carries a risk of head AND neck injuries) in order to avoid a head injury from having the head over the shell rfing. Britax used to agree with me, as do the makers of Swedish EERFing seats.

Mommy0608

Yeah, I know. It's confusing. It's up to each of us to make the "parental decision" about whether to disregard the stated height guideline, just as we do with any other seat. We tell parents all the time that the height guideline is not as important as the physical fit (adequate room above head), but that it's their choice to decide whether they want to exceed the stated height limit as long as the child physically fits. I personally am willing to exceed the stated height limit. Jessica is 39" and will be using this seat RF with LOTS of room above her head until I hear a valid safety concern with exceeding the height limit (beyond the typical "because they say so.")

I'm absolutely not saying that EVERYONE should do this. This is my parental choice for my own kids.

Mommy0608

I would use it until the head is even with.

"for optimal protection, the child should remain rear facing until reaching the maximum weight for the car safety seat, as long as the top of the head is below the top of the seat back"
- American Academy of Pediatrics policy statement

I'm not sure when the 1 inch thing became an official rule, rather than a sign to start researching a new seat.

For that matter, I'm not sure I understand the logic that it is better to turn a child ffing (which carries a risk of head AND neck injuries) in order to avoid a head injury from having the head over the shell rfing. Britax used to agree with me, as do the makers of Swedish EERFing seats.

:yeahthat:

Mama!

I've thought about it. I've been picturing the kids head somehow making contact with a front vehicle seat.

Would i use it *all* the way to the top of the shell? I don't know.

Mommy0608

I may not go ALL the way to the top either, haven't really decided. Actually I won't decide for sure until the time comes. It could take DD a very loooong time to get that close to the top. Tyler will probably hit 40lbs before he gets to the top.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC