Why aren't there boosters for kids...

RubysGirl

over 100lbs? Seriously, my back safetybelts barely fit an adult right if at all. I've had larger children ride in my car before that were over 100lbs but don't pass the five step test. What are you supposed to do then?

ADS

LuvBug

the parkway has no upper weight limit. It might say it on the websites but if I remember correctly it is no where in the manual or on the seat.

scatterbunny

Yep, that's right. :) I can't figure out why it's on the website as 100 pounds, unless they just figure any kid who's 100 pounds will be too tall for it?

At any rate, no weight limit is in the manual or on the seat itself, just height minimums and maximums, and all the SafetyBeltSafe literature on boosters shows it as having no upper weight limit.

http://www.carseat.org/Boosters/627_choose_boost.pdf

On page 2 of that document it lists belt positioning boosters and the corresponding height/weight requirements for each seat.

My little sister still fit the Parkway at 12 years old, 5 feet tall and 105 pounds, on the highest setting.

It looks like the new Britax Monarch also has no upper weight limit, which is AWESOME since it converts to a backless.

Although, the seat depth of most boosters (except the pricey Recaro Start) is not enough for most older kids. I wish manufacturers would realize this and design a deeper seat for at least some models, or maybe an adustable depth like the Start has?

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
You know I've seen that said, but I thought I saw it on the britax site, too. Has anybody ever called them?

Yes. I have called them.

I have had the same problem with Britax and the Parkway weight limit question as I have had with Honda and the LATCH weight limit question-- you get a different answer from each person each time you call them. :p There doesn't seem to be a consistant answer, which is quite annoying.

scatterbunny

But remember, if there are weight limits those are required to be on the labels; the seat labels do not specify weight limits. Also, SafetyBeltSafeUSA gets their information from the manufacturer. I would assume whoever they talk to is a little more informed than the random customer service rep most of us connect with when we call.

Pawy

Id like to know why there isnt at least a better seat belt option for any person in a car.
Ive seen the damage that a normal seat belt can do....

Paul

scatterbunny

What would your better seat belt option ideas be? I'm really interested to hear! :)

Seatbelts may do some damage to a person while they are doing their job of restraining, but the damage done by NOT wearing a seatbelt and contacting the interior of the vehicle or possibly being ejected would cause much more injury.

lovinwaves

What would your better seat belt option ideas be? I'm really interested to hear! :)

Seatbelts may do some damage to a person while they are doing their job of restraining, but the damage done by NOT wearing a seatbelt and contacting the interior of the vehicle or possibly being ejected would cause much more injury.

I totally agree.;)

I would rather have some skin abrasion, stitches, bruises, skin burns, and even a broken collar bone, before I would gladly let my head contact the interior....:)

scatterbunny

LOL! We're far from rich, and we have a Parkway. We had a TurboBooster first but gave that to dd's friend who was using a crappy old Century combo seat as a booster. The Parkway is only about $10 more than the high-end Turbo.

I cannot say enough good things about the Parkway. The only things I would change if I could would be the seat depth (needs to be deeper or adjustable) and the "E.T." look that the headrest takes on when you adjust it for a taller kid (needs more shoulder/torso protection instead of the torso protection staying low on the seat; the new Monarch fixed this issue, but I don't like the armrests on the Monarch).

RubysGirl

LOL. I didn't mean it was a rich persons seat, hell I have a MA, I just mean I'd use it maybe 2-3 times a year. And that's a big maybe. I'd love to have a couple though. I wish I had a ginormous stash of seats in my garage, I'd supply everyone if I could. LOL.

Pawy

Seat belts make terribal bruising around shoulders and mid section and can often not hold a person in a serios crash.. I just would like to see a dual shoulder harness or something that offers better protection, i know there are the racing ones but they are illegal here.
I was thinking of a ezy on but the sizes for adult you cant put on and off by your self strange...

Paul

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I was thinking of a ezy on but the sizes for adult you cant put on and off by your self strange...

Paul

Not strange when you remember EZ-ON sells to schools and institutions. They use restraint systems for people with special needs. If a person that size is using an ez-on, you probably DON'T want them to be able to get in/out by themselves (hence the use of the vest as opposed to a seat belt) or he/she is physically unable to do so (use w/a wheelchair).

I think one hold up on more protective seatbelts is the need to be one size fits all. . .I think of my 5' stepmom sharing a car with my 6' 2" dad. It would be very difficult to make a "vest" or 4pt. restraint that would fit both.

:( It might also result in increase misuse/lack of use - if it required significant adjustment (ala CR harness straps). Many non seatbelt users already use discomfort or feeling restricted as reasons for non use.

:D Then, I had the visual of adults running around Walmart buckeled in an EZ-ON vest (like the harnesses for little kids so they can't go too far) :p

scatterbunny

Paul, I agree with you that seatbelts cause terrible bruising, but they don't "often" not hold up in a serious crash. Seatbelt failure is very rare in the grand scheme of things.

I, too, wish vehicles had more adjustable seatbelts to fit different sized people, or even if they had the option of racing harnesses instead of seatbelts (maybe something you pay extra for, like other safety features), but like previous poster said, if it required sigificant adjustment or if it caused discomfort many people won't use them.

Lots of money and research has gone into making seatbelts safe AND comfortable for adults, those two factors are key.

Pawy

I agree that seatbelts are fine for the majority of people ive seen enough people driving around not use them at all.. yes i know, but they dont got brains to protect...
But i just would like to see an option for people that would wear them correctly and want a safer option..
I can keep my older child safer in the car with a 5 point harness but i cant look after anyone else or myself..?
Paul :)

scatterbunny

Of course you can look after the safety of others (or at least try)...that's why most of us are here on this site. :D

I agree that it would be great to have the option of harnesses in vehicles for those who would CHOOSE them, and use them correctly.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC